12" foam NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put on the lathe slow and use a sander with the roughest grit you have to start.
I use an air file

I used a 48 inch length of 38mm blue tube as a core tube . A couple wooden pillow blocks and a hand crank . 50 grit sand paper on a 24 inch body block. I used a 7 year old as a power plant

Attachments

• 20210215_181333.jpg
    20210215_181333.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 53
That Aries is a cool fat rocket! That’s a perfect rocket for this technique. That’s exactly the kind of project I have in mind for the foam cutting tools I got and haven’t used yet.

I love the fact it has that extra wide transition at the base. So much base drag. That should fly nice and slow on a long-burn motor with enough thrust to get it off the pad fast and stable, and then a sustain part of the thrust curve to keep it going against the drag. I don’t know if that’s what you are planning, but that’s why I like the lightweight foam rockets.

How are you going to set up the launch guide with the base transition?

David,

I have MORE data . . . Muwahahaha ! ( LOL ! )

"Tip of the Iceberg", below . . .

Dave F.

Wow Dave! Love the drawings! Love a good V2 as well.
Don't suppose you have anything on a more recent one... Thales Starstreak? I'm collaborating with Drew on another build thread for it. Have had to go off photos for it and a few sketchy internet dimensions.

Wow Dave! Love the drawings! Love a good V2 as well.
Don't suppose you have anything on a more recent one... Thales Starstreak? I'm collaborating with Drew on another build thread for it. Have had to go off photos for it and a few sketchy internet dimensions.

I already posted up some pics in the Thales Starstreak thread. Dimensioned data is almost nonexistent for it.

Dave F.

Paint all done. All that is left are the final touches from Mark at Stick Shock and final assembly. Doesn't look as big outside.

Attachments

• V2 painted 007.JPG
    V2 painted 007.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 37
  • V2 painted 008.JPG
    V2 painted 008.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 37
  • V2 painted 010.JPG
    V2 painted 010.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 35
  • V2 painted 011.JPG
    V2 painted 011.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 36
  • V2 painted 015.JPG
    V2 painted 015.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 36
  • V2 painted 019.JPG
    V2 painted 019.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 41
  • V2 painted 031.JPG
    V2 painted 031.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 45
  • V2 painted 033.JPG
    V2 painted 033.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 42
Your pics in post 199 are awesome. While it is very cool to see it outside, the detail shots are what really show the efforts you've put into it. If your prep is half as good as your build, it will fly prefect every time!!!

Awesome!

Sandy.

Back