12 Days of Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There should be a separate thread on Leaper builds since I'd guess many of us will have them now (or extras).
Now there's an idea! Start a Thread on the most creative way to modify the Leaper so that it works as a true model rocket and not just a dangerous toy with a motor at the bottom (I suspect the answer is to carve away all the foam, add fins and a body tube, and you're really left with from the original is the motor mount).

Now there's an idea! Start a Thread on the most creative way to modify the Leaper so that it works as a true model rocket and not just a dangerous toy with a motor at the bottom (I suspect the answer is to carve away all the foam, add fins and a body tube, and you're really left with from the original is the motor mount).
Dangerous toy???

.... ah nevermind. I have no desire to keep this thing.

even the ugly mummies have a place in the museum

regarding modding... how about a two stage deploy with the crapper... er... leaper... launching out of an upscale porta-pot shot?

thanks to @KenECoyote for this idea

1671209277813.png

Last edited:
My only issue is that this uses 13mm motors, which I do not have.
I may be forced into a trip to Hobby Lobby after all if I want to fly this thing (sigh).

I may be forced into a trip to Hobby Lobby after all if I want to fly this thing (sigh).
You have a stunningly negative attitude towards it (up to the point of calling it dangerous) for never having attempted to fly it. Seems very similar to the baseless arguments submitted regarding Estes quality and outsourcing from a few days ago.

even the ugly mummies have a place in the museum

regarding modding... how about a two stage deploy with the crapper... er... leaper... launching out of an upscale porta-pot shot?

thanks to @KenECoyote for this idea

View attachment 551279
I was actually considering making a tiny roll of tp and attaching it to the side.

13mm mini motors are tons of cheap park launch fun. You get 4 in a pack and I think the A10 has almost the same boost as the A8 and weighs much less.

...stunningly negative attitude.

disagree. not stunned at all. negative, yes, but fully deserved. also, it could be argued that all model rockets are dangerous toys. i think the point was more directed towards 'toy' than 'dangerous'. c'mon... this roc is junk. free junk, so that makes it okay by my measure, but still... junk.

just got my third (of four) deliveries... m104, pack of cs, catalog, free leaper #2, and a 'thanks for being the best customer ever, really, ever' card signed by karen (whose handwritting could stand a little work, frankly). cost me a sawbuck. happy customer!

Seems very similar to the baseless arguments submitted regarding Estes quality and outsourcing from a few days ago.
And yet, I've spent over $350 at the Estes website and probably spent more than an additional $500 on various Estes products throughout the course of the year via various vendors. So yeah, I'm all doom and gloom regarding the biggest manufacturer of products of the hobby I'm in. I ride a Honda as well, but I've lobbed criticism at Big Red when they deserved it.

And yet, I've spent over $350 at the Estes website and probably spent more than an additional $500 on various Estes products throughout the course of the year via various vendors. So yeah, I'm all doom and gloom regarding the biggest manufacturer of products of the hobby I'm in. I ride a Honda as well, but I've lobbed criticism at Big Red when they deserved it.
Key point 'when they deserved it'.

Your complaints in the two threads being discussed were based on... nothing?

Your complaints in the two threads being discussed were based on... nothing?
It started as speculation regarding why C5's had less "punch" than they used to, but I did end up bringing up the recent CATOs I've experienced. Now, in fairness, customer support has been more than happy to replace the motors, and frankly, I can say I'm a satisfied customer of their products (my Avatar is a Big Daddy -- one of my favorite kits EVER of any vendor). But that said, I had a CATO in October and then another in December. Both from recently (within the last 8 months) purchased motors from Hobby Lobby. And this is a well-known issue. I'm not the only person experiencing this. So, there's either an issue in manufacturing, or there's an issue with how Hobby Lobby stores these motors. And we might be able to rule out HB if others have had these issues and purchased the motors elsewhere. There's legitimate cause for some criticism. Now, some on this forum may think I'm being a little harsh, but that's me. I'm not the nicest person in the world, I freely admit that. Everyone needs to learn to either deal with me as a little more sarcastic than most and/or grow a thicker skin. But, you'll discover that most of my barbs are self-depricating, so in a sense, I'm mostly harmless, sort of like Earth in HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

With all the Leaper hate, I feel like I'm the only kid who ever strapped a motor to GI Joe to give him a jet pack. At least the Leaper is made of foam.
I'm not 100% sure I did that, but I remember building an all balsa wood Phoenix from "Battle of the Planets", and I definitely launched that with some motors.

Back