12” Mega Punisher Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great flight. I had my DSLR out but couldn't get in position in time during countdown. It was really, really sweet!
Thanks Lance! A ten count would have been nice for a rocket like this, as just about everyone with a camera (including our own guy taking pictures) missed it. Otherwise, I can’t complain - what a perfect day at the rocket pasture!

I feel very fortunate to have witnessed both of this rocket's flights. The first flight is etched in my mind because we could clearly see the entire deployment sequence, but the second flight was magnificent! I barely got up to the flight line in time to see it, but with all those motors lit, it was an awesome sight.
I hope someone got some good pictures or video, the flame coming off this rocket was huge. Please let us know where you recovered it from and any details about getting it back.
I agree with Taylor, it was a perfect day at the Rocket Pasture, Sharon and I both got off several flights under beautiful conditions.

I feel very fortunate to have witnessed both of this rocket's flights. The first flight is etched in my mind because we could clearly see the entire deployment sequence, but the second flight was magnificent! I barely got up to the flight line in time to see it, but with all those motors lit, it was an awesome sight.
I hope someone got some good pictures or video, the flame coming off this rocket was huge. Please let us know where you recovered it from and any details about getting it back.
I agree with Taylor, it was a perfect day at the Rocket Pasture, Sharon and I both got off several flights under beautiful conditions.
It landed just past Dixon maybe 100 yards south of 80th! According to google maps, it looks to have landed around 2000’ from the pad! Not bad! Certainly an easier recovery than that first flight by far!

The winds aloft might have been the calmest I’ve ever seen there! There was a mishap with my 5” Punisher on Sat that resulted in dumping the main at apogee after going 14k on an M4500. I got lucky because it was so still it came right back just across 80th!

Great weekend!

WHERE VIDEO
I just got home about 45 minutes ago. It should be out this Sunday!

Shameless plug, though. A quick clip of just the flight and chute deployment is currently live on my Patreon account, which you can find here:
https://patreon.com/rocketvlogsThe full-length video with all the preparation and the full flight and recovery SHOULD be out this Sunday, assuming I've got the mental bandwidth.

Braden

Who wants to see this thing get close to 20k’? :D

Raises hand

(Especially since I'm not paying for the motors :) )

That said, if you guys do it, let me know and I'll do my best to come out with the camera and get pictures for you - that way, your team can focus on prep.

-Kevin

Nice video, Braden. It's interesting watching the slo motion ignition video - you can see the N definitely didn't come up to pressure as fast as the other motors. However, it was definitely burning nicely before the rocket had moved far.

-Kevin

That and which model/make camera is it? Thats a real bummer the camera crapped out on you.

Sounds like the success rates I've been having with RunCam4K. I recall seeing an orange mount on the side of the rocket, so pretty sure runcam of some flavor.
That's the one! Glad we're not alone in this fight, haha. Runcam2 4K. Stops recording at no particular interval for no particular reason.

Lots of reports of battery issues with them, but I successfully filled an SD card with 2 hours of footage with external power during some at home testing.

So, there's two options for the next flight. Return to GoPro like I used on my Iris and hope it doesn't overheat, or take advantage of our lower coupler (we set it up as an electronics bay for future air start endeavors) and power it externally with an onboard battery pack.

Maybe both? Who knows!

Braden

Nice video, Braden. It's interesting watching the slo motion ignition video - you can see the N definitely didn't come up to pressure as fast as the other motors. However, it was definitely burning nicely before the rocket had moved far.

-Kevin
This is very similar to the project Thunderhead that flew at MDRA back in 2000 or so. It had 4x I435, 4xK1100, and a central M2500. Only difference was that the M was air-started at liftoff detection. It made for an interesting flame pattern that doubled in size with an audible thud at about 100ft.

Liftoff was accompanied by the most incredible screetch/howl. I don't know if that was just from the motor combination with large base, or the fact that one of the I's didn't light.

Last edited:
Mobius ActionCam is what I use for mine.. I've had no issues so far with it. Didn't save the data on my water recovery, though... Bummer :( lol

I’ve had fantastic luck with my mobius mini… time for a brand switch! Heh
To be fair, I never had issues with the Hero Session, which was onboard my 7.5" Iris at LDRS where it was extremely hot.

I just liked the slim profile of the Runcam and it was the first one I had seen that had crisp enough footage for my snooty standards lol.

Braden

Back