10k(m) flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rAUM

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After spending a couple years in the hobby I am ready for the next level (going for 10km). While tinkering a bit in openrocket I couldn't get the altitude above 10k with a N motor. Anybody that can help?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 02.20.04.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 02.20.04.png
    513.7 KB · Views: 1
I would start by seriously shortening your airframe and then finding the optimal weight for maximum altitude. You are probably gonna go with a single bay deployment system with a tumble descent and line cutter chute release. Something like that ought to get you to 10k.

Also, you will be hauling a**. I recommend a stability of at least 2 when going supersonic.

You most definitely want to go minimum diameter here! I also agree with @charrington in going with a single bay deployment using some sort of cable cutter. This is almost the exact project that I am designing as well! Just gotta learn some good techniques with them cable cutters

Definitely achievable. The Spaceport America Cup team I mentor did it with a N motor.

Did your team use a COTS motor, or was it an SRAD motor?

I couldn't find my team listings from this past year. I know some of the 30K teams go SRAD.
Ohio State is right up the road from me and I know they do SRAD in the 30K.

My Mongoose 98 with Von Karmen nose cone got 37000+ feet, 11.5km, using CTI N1100. Same rocket with conical nose cone, 33000 feet

The AT N1000 is probably a better motor for altitude. a friend got 40000+ with that motor, and Mongoose 98 with VK nose cone.

This was all off the shelf commercial parts, nothing fancy.

Not allowed to make motors. Learn something new everyday.
Remember that is for Australia. Regulations are a bit tighter here.

Another comment I will make on the flight to 30k' by the IREC team I mentor: don't forget they carry a 4kg payload to that altitude. If not carrying a payload you can easily exceed 10km on an N.

Back