101 Uses for Spent Motor Casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
49. Glue a large bundle together and use it on your desk at work or in your workshop as a pencil/pen/paintbrush holder.
50. Accumulate a large pile of them and use them as a a unusual, one-of-a-kind wall covering, or as thermal or sound insulation.
51. String up several strands of them and create a bead curtain.
52. Zipper pulls.
53. Rocketeer's moth balls and shoe deodorizers. :D
54. Handles for barbecue forks, skewers, etc.

Last edited:
54.5 A spent 24mm cleaned out can hold a friction fit 18mm into it...sometimes I like to fly an 18mm in one of my 24mm eaters. 24mm spent motors cut into like long engine blocks can be glued to the ends of 18mm motors to adapt them into a 24mm mount .

Last edited:
55. Glue one onto the end of a dowel and use it as a ram to push out (or pound out) friction-fit motors. (Bond an appropriately-sized rubber stopper into the forward end and then use epoxy putty, such as JB Stick, and regular epoxy to help fill in the rest of the motor and to hold the dowel in.)
56. If you have one that the aft end of the rocket will fit over while the motor tube fits inside (IOW, the spent motor fits in between the rocket's motor tube and the airframe), you can use it in combination with #55 as an anvil or block when you push or pound out a stubborn friction-fit motor. It can help to avoid getting a tweaked airframe.
57. When thoroughly cleaned (remove every speck of corrosive propellant residue), it can be used as a craft knife blade cover.
58. Use one as a handle for a file.

Last edited:
Necroing this thread instead of starting a new one.
59. Adapters for rocket display stands: 13mm stand to 18mm, 18mm stand to 24mm, 24mm stand to 29mm.
0921190758.jpg

60. Make a spent motor lei. Your grad will love it. Ah, the smell of BP residue. Sweeter than ginger.:D
0921190822.jpg
(Wouldn't you rather have that instead of this?)
Ginger%20Lei.jpg

Last edited:
A D12 casing is the essential part for repairing a Centuri Sky Track. If you don't have a clean unused casing, take a good flown motor case and clean it out. The nozzle is most easily cleared by tapping on the side of the case with a hammer. A short ring cut from an Estes mailing tube is also used.

Don't know what number.....49?
Remove Horse from 4H trophy.....bolt to trophy to make rocket display stand. Time to hit up the garage sales if you can't source from your own garage.DSC05491.JPG DSC05541.JPG

Put on the launch rod as a standoff, a mini engine casing is just enough usually...Keeps the motor nozzle off of the blast deflector.

Remove Horse from 4H trophy.....bolt to trophy to make rocket display stand. Time to hit up the garage sales if you can't source from your own garage.View attachment 393933 View attachment 393934
I have a feeling that you guys ie. older people like Der Red Max, I have yet to figure why that is, but i like the multi colored versions though. o_O:)

A D12 casing is the essential part for repairing a Centuri Sky Track. If you don't have a clean unused casing, take a good flown motor case and clean it out. The nozzle is most easily cleared by tapping on the side of the case with a hammer. A short ring cut from an Estes mailing tube is also used.
That's #61
Remove Horse from 4H trophy.....bolt to trophy to make rocket display stand. Time to hit up the garage sales if you can't source from your own garage.
#62.
Reload them with "Rcandy" propellant . . .
#63.
Put on the launch rod as a standoff, a mini engine casing is just enough usually...Keeps the motor nozzle off of the blast deflector.
Ah, beeble, that was already listed as #3.
And your suggestion of using as an ejection well canister on another thread was #19.
Good try, though.

#66.
Use a spent 13mm casing to sheathe your #11 hobby knife.
Remove propellant residue.
Cut a BT-4 tube to length to act as a liner.
Voila! Instant sheath protection.

20220428_113321.jpg20220428_113346.jpg
Edit: Already mentioned in #57.

cigarillo holder, leave the burnt residue in, gives it that 'fresh launch day breath' every rocketeer craves. Don't use the grape flavoured ones, that's just nasty. Disposable after each use. More reasons to fly more.
That's #66. That'll fly. Need to plug the nozzle.
Vanilla vodka and Tampa Jewels work.
Probably need a 29mm for a big Stogie.
Heh.
20220428_140243.jpg

Use them as mandrel to roll your own body and mmt. Can't believe that wasn't mentioned yet.

18mm casing ID fit the rather obscure FX motors from the 90s for NAR certified smoke effects before launch.

arrange them into the numbers six and nine as large as you can and giggle at how juvenile you feel!

Take a photo of the above and make a meme out of it for everyone to giggle at how juvenile they feel.

Use them to prop up the high speed corners of Hot Wheels banked corners for your child's track.

Another Hot Wheels use if your child is into the monster trucks or Monster Jam variety; use them as crash able barricades.

One very challenging DIY Jenga game?

His and Her toothbrush holders. Start a new thread with a competition to see how can have it there the longest. Bonus points if you have houseguests and your significant other doesn't think it is funny!

One very challenging DIY Jenga game?
Ha! That made me think of Lincoln Logs. Anybody remember those?
Cut notches and make your own log cabins.
Glue a string of them together and make the logs as long as you want.
Balsa sheets for roofs.

1651208449527.png

EDIT: Criminy, already mentioned in #37.

Last edited:
#75: Use it as a container to create a 1 oz. payload weight for NAR Payload-Altitude competitions.

#76: Remove a fair amount of layers from the interior, sand the inside somewhat smooth, then use as the outer "shell" (in place of a standard coupler) for an ejection baffle.

#77: Keep in a sealed plastic bag which you can open up and smell to relive one or more past memories.

#78: Keep at least one spent casing of each engine you've ever flown to create a collectable record of your launches. Kind of like how people collect momentos from countries or states they've visited.

Last edited:
#65: When cutting paper motor-mount tubes, a used casing makes a nice stiffener. Add a layer or so of paper for a tight fit.
That ^^^ is #42
42. Glued together to make mandrels for cutting tubes and for rolling cardstock tubes.

43. Plugs to keep paint from going on the inside of the tube.

44. Dummy motors when launching a cluster with less than a full motor complement (so that ejection works properly).

I’ll have to do some consolidation, but I’ve got another use: Commemorations. Maidening specific airframes, motor types, repair jobs, people, whatever makes the flight special.

EDIT: Oops! Looks like this is been suggested. I hope you guys like the picture anyway.

345D8DED-8C23-4EF8-B6EC-9C0F182B1695.jpeg

Last edited:
I did my best to consolidate while also differentiating uses when appropriate. Only 8 entries ended up being duplicated and deleted.

Maybe going forward we can copy-paste the list and add to it like in the Newton tally threads.

1. Motor adapter
  2. Engine block
  3. Launch rod stand-off
  4. Launch rod storage case
  5. Painting wand
  6. Painting stand
  7. Display stand (“spike”)
  8. Micro-hybrid fuel grain
  9. Cat toy
  10. Motor mount ballast
  11. Motor design visual aid
  12. Rod cap
  13. Fin attachment jig
  14. Nose cone shoulder
  15. Flashlight casing
  16. Fire starter
  17. Battery storage
  18. Landing pads
  19. Ejection charge canister
  20. Engine block spacer
  21. Christmas tree ornament
  22. Fillet shaper
  23. MicroMaxx rod adapter
  24. Body tube
  25. Floating-head piston head
  26. Air freshener
  27. Cluster mount spacing gauge
  28. Multistager display coupler
  29. Retention system tester
  30. Staging ballast
  31. CTI reload instructional aid
  32. Wind chimes
  33. Lincoln logs
  34. Tube couplers
  35. Payload section ballast
  36. Tube rolling guide
  37. Painting plug
  38. Cluster dummy motor
  39. Wasp block
  40. Motor fairy payment
  41. Pan flute
  42. Table leg shim
  43. Range box lid prop
  44. Staging coupler
  45. Pencil/pen/paintbrush holder and organizer
  46. Wall covering
  47. Bead curtain
  48. Zipper pull
  49. Shoe deodorizer
  50. Barbecue fork handle
  51. Friction-fit motor remover
  52. Stuck motor removal stand
  53. Craft blade knife cover
  54. File handle
  55. Display stand adapter
  56. Theodolite repair
  57. Rocket candy casing
  58. Cigarillo holder
  59. FX motor mount
  60. 69 joke
  61. Meme
  62. Hot Wheels track prop
  63. Toy monster truck crashable barricade
  64. Jenga game
  65. Toothbrush holder
  66. Competition payload
  67. Ejection baffle
  68. Olfactory time machine
  69. Collectible commemoration
  70. Caltrop alternative (don’t laugh, I’ve almost broken my neck stepping on one of these things)
  71. AP casing
  72. Dough roller

Back