---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see Estes have a current catalog. If only it was available already printed.

The new owners (Hobbico) are certainly making things happen quickly since they took over (Unless all of this was already in the pipeline).

New kits, catalog, support for the NAR. All good.

Will NAR kit stuffers make a comeback?

It's nice that they finally got this put together. There was a bunch of stuff in there that I hadn't seen before. The upcoming summer releases I believe were in the 'Coming Soon' section on the website for quite a while. But the Fall 2010 releases in this version of the catalog I hadn't seen before. I also noticed something on the education page that caught my eye. Down in the bottom right corner they have a kit for "technology" classes (whatever that is) that says you "make your own body tube." Never seen that before. The picture is too small to make out what it actually is but it looks like a rocket kit of some type. The engines seem more expensive than last year and the parachutes are still amazingly overpriced. It's $8.30 for a 12" chute when you can get one of several mini engine E2X rockets that come with a 12" chute for $8.49 and a Baby Bertha is only $10.29! Seems the Baby Bertha has replaced the Alpha ($13.79) as the go to kit for a first skill level 1 model. At least in my eyes it has. Nice chunky rocket that's fun to build and fly. You can stick any regular engine up through a C in it and not have to worry about it going out of sight. But I'd question their altitude rating in the catalog. On a C engine that one should go higher than 575 ft.! Anyway, overall a nice catalog with some kits I'm looking forward to.

Several interesting items of note in the new catalog:

The A10-PT and D11-P are back (they had been listed as discontinued)

The Helicat, which looks like a long version of the Cosmic Cobra

I'm betting that the reference to body tubes in the Tech Pak is a misprint. I'm thinking it's just a "kitbash your own rocket with the body tube, nose cone, motor mount and fin stock" kit.

There is no designer's special or replacement thereof (except for the Tech Pak and Customizer/Customizer Mini). The two Customizer sets are interesting, but I wish they'd made them without the launchers - or done a version without launchers.

Tech-Pack has been around for a while, you actually do have to wrap your own body tube.

Heli-cat looks like the old HelioCopter reissued.

kj

I would like this catalog a lot better if they offered some sort of online version, Having half the rocket on one page and the half with the details on another page is annoying.

In site of this the kits do look interesting.

-Dave

Between this and what we are doing at Quest, I think the future of model rocketry is bright indeed.

I would like this catalog a lot better if they offered some sort of online version, Having half the rocket on one page and the half with the details on another page is annoying.

In site of this the kits do look interesting.
Hi, Dave,

If you're using Acrobat Reader, you can click on View | Page Layout | Facing, and you'll be able to view the catalog the right way. (I'm using v7 of Reader.)

--

Tech-Pack has been around for a while, you actually do have to wrap your own body tube.

Heli-cat looks like the old HelioCopter reissued.

kj

It's just a long Cosmic Cobra with a different plastic fin unit. The Cosmic Cobra is about 20" and the Helicat is about 10" longer. Same diameter, same nose cone and blades.

Now all they need is a A10-0T! :) It is nice to have the PT though.

Is it just me, or does the Space Eagle on pages 16 & 17 just beg to be turned into a two stage rocket? :D

please pm me if your interested! I replied to 2 people that are getting copies:)

I have like 6 left

I wonder what the response will be to the 20mm black powder "D" motors Quest released?

The Estes ad in the NARCON 2010 program states that "2010 Estes Catalog available at your local retailer April 1, 2010." I take that to mean that there will, indeed, be a printed catalog.

MarkII

No C11-5s, though. :(

On the body tubes matrix on the parts page, no BT-70.

The Solar Flare is listed as a separate kit, no longer as part of a launch set.

MarkII

Last edited:
Between this and what we are doing at Quest, I think the future of model rocketry is bright indeed.

Agreed, these might be the golden years!

All these new kit's, or reissues are creating an exciting time in our hobby.

I've got to agree, now hurry up and get that new Quest stuff out. I want some! :clap:

The Magician has listed D12-5 and E9-6 for recommended engines. I would think this kit would be better with D12-7 and E9-8s, seeing as it goes higher than the Eliminator.

Possibly because it has a payload section and the odds are good that someone will load something in there.

Of course, they could simply list different recommended motors for "with" and "without" payload.

Stopped by my Local HobbyTown USA today and they had one each of all the new Estes kits on the shelf (not any more... :p)

I'm looking forward to the next batch of "new" kits coming out this summer. :D

Back