---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Estes ad in the NARCON 2010 program states that "2010 Estes Catalog available at your local retailer April 1, 2010." I take that to mean that there will, indeed, be a printed catalog.

MarkII

I just picked up a copy at the LHS yesterday.

Wonders what scale kits Estes is offering this year.

They still have the SR-71 listed as well as the D-Region Tomahawk. The Patriot is in the catalog but I'm not sure how close to scale that one is. That's it for anything approaching real life for now through the fall.

I picked up a catalog at the LHS yesterday in addition to a Phoenix Bird and a BT-70 nosecone for my Der Red Max upscale.

The Classic Series has some nice offerings. Already picked up a Hornet to go along with my Semroc Magnum Hornet.

Is it just me or are the wings on the Alien Invader wrong? The strakes should be on the top of the wings, not the bottom as pictured in the catalog.

Or have I just been looking at it wrong all these years?

They still have the SR-71 listed as well as the D-Region Tomahawk. The Patriot is in the catalog but I'm not sure how close to scale that one is. That's it for anything approaching real life for now through the fall.
What?! Are you telling me that the DRM wasn't a real rocket?? :shock:

:D

Mark K.

The nose cone for the Alien Invader should be the exact same as the original. I received an email from Estes stating they are using the same hardware they used years ago to make the new ones. They were surprised it was still in good working condition. I think I posted a copy of that Email over at YORF. The only bummer with the new catalog is that all the rockets are computer generated. I really enjoy looking at the real build and I will miss that.

I'm referring to the strakes on the wings, not the nose cone. My Alien Invader has the strakes on the topside of the wings, the pic in the new catalog has them on the bottom.

Somebody screwed up....

I picked up a copy of the 2010 Estes catalog at a LHS this afternoon.

It was amusing that the 'chain' hobby store did not have the catalogs but the 'Mom & Pop' hobby shop did.

Picked up the Estes catalog at a LHS yesterday (they probably had 15-20 on the shelf). It's nice again to have a hard copy in my hands.

I picked up a copy of the 2010 Estes catalog at a LHS this afternoon.

It was amusing that the 'chain' hobby store did not have the catalogs but the 'Mom & Pop' hobby shop did.

Ditto. Local store owned and run by unpleasant old man had pile of Estes catalogs and both the old stock from his old location and new 2010 Estes kits (obviously he's getting stock and catalogs from the local distributor - Horizon?). His Aerotech stock is dwindling and he seemed to show no interest in restocking.

He did have a T25 Centurion on the shelf (a bit dusty).

Nothing at Hobby People chain stores as of my last check last weekend.

Ditto. Local store owned and run by unpleasant old man had pile of Estes catalogs and both the old stock from his old location and new 2010 Estes kits (obviously he's getting stock and catalogs from the local distributor - Horizon?). His Aerotech stock is dwindling and he seemed to show no interest in restocking.

He did have a T25 Centurion on the shelf (a bit dusty).

Nothing at Hobby People chain stores as of my last check last weekend.

Where was this store at, Fred? All we have around Fullerton are Hobby People, and now the closest one is in Orange.

In fact, just how many Mom & Pop stores are there around here?

Where was this store at, Fred? All we have around Fullerton are Hobby People, and now the closest one is in Orange.

In fact, just how many Mom & Pop stores are there around here?

Tony's now located at 925 baldwin Park Blvd in Baldwin Park, just south of the giant KP medical center. I posted about this store along with Pegasus on the SCRA YahooGroup for the TARC teams that needed F40 reloads. The guy there seemed like he did not want to sell me anything. I told him I was the guy who called a week ago to ask about Aerotech reload kits for high school teams working on projects. i told him I posted his new location info on the web and I asked if anyone had come to buy them. he told me they had come in yesterday and bought them all. Then I asked if he had any other reload kits left because I would let others know about them. His response was dismissive - somethine like 'nothing really left'. I asked him if there were any smaller reloads since people were looking for them and he said 'no'. This is odd, since the teenager who answered the phone last week said there was a lot of really old stock that just did not sell and he read me a long string of reload packs he was looking at.

Oh well, I can;t force him to sell stuff, and this may explain why he has had to move to an industrial park location from a mainstream retail shopping center.

I'll simply send folks to Pegasus where they get fresh stock and can reorder from the local distributor in a few days (as long as the warehouse has items in stock).

And I still place a HUGE order every year or so from Hobbylinc, so I've still got some 18mm, 24mm and 29mm reloads and single use motors left for those who need them. I just don't have any F40 reloads at the moment and I'm down to only a few F52 reloads. Lots of G64 reloads, though.

I was over at the local Hobbytown to pick up a pack of $10+ c6-3 motors and saw a stack of Estes catalog. I decided to get the blast off box instead along with the catalog in hand. :)

Actually, I like the new catalogue, and most of the rockets. I feel the need to get my hands on the Space Eagle and the Plasma Probe. And I bet that Super Alpha would make a nice cluster model...

What I really like is all the CRAP that is NOT there. No dragsters, hockey pucks, stomp rockets, or toy planes.

Although, I do miss the cool backgrounds from the 70's and 80's. Maybe by 2012 (then they can bring back the Sprint).

Ulcgh... the new Mongoose is ugly...even worse than the old yellow and magenta.

Actually, I like the new catalogue, and most of the rockets. I feel the need to get my hands on the Space Eagle and the Plasma Probe. And I bet that Super Alpha would make a nice cluster model...

What I really like is all the CRAP that is NOT there. No dragsters, hockey pucks, stomp rockets, or toy planes.

Although, I do miss the cool backgrounds from the 70's and 80's. Maybe by 2012 (then they can bring back the Sprint).

I like it too, for the first attempt to return to printed catalogs. Since I think the only scale kit is the Bull Pup (and D-Region Tomahawk ...) let's hope for returns of Saturns, V2s, Pershings, Honest Johns, ...

Is that too much to ask for?
;)

Last edited:
Ulcgh... the new Mongoose is ugly...even worse than the old yellow and magenta.

They should just go back to the Scorpion version of the Mongoose. It had COOLNESS.

I had one of the yellow Mogooses - it was pretty cool because the booster would glide in a big circle. My New-Goose's booster sorta flew to several hundred feet before plummeting straight down!

A quick view of the instructions of all three (Scorpion, Mongoose-Yellow, and Mongoose-purple) shows slightly different layouts for the booster. Since my original booster was mashed flat, I am building a long gap-stage booster (they tend to tumble better.)

At this point, I guess we should return to the topic.

Stopped by my Local HobbyTown USA today and they had one each of all the new Estes kits on the shelf (not any more... :p)

Interesting. I remember the interview with Barry when he said there will be no printed catalogs anymore.

He still works as a consultant according to Hobbico ;)

Close - he's still on the PAYROLL as a former owner/consultant - which means they pay him for not being there. Very common practice in a buyout like this.

It's nice that they finally got this put together. There was a bunch of stuff in there that I hadn't seen before. The upcoming summer releases I believe were in the 'Coming Soon' section on the website for quite a while. But the Fall 2010 releases in this version of the catalog I hadn't seen before. I also noticed something on the education page that caught my eye. Down in the bottom right corner they have a kit for "technology" classes (whatever that is) that says you "make your own body tube." Never seen that before. The picture is too small to make out what it actually is but it looks like a rocket kit of some type. The engines seem more expensive than last year and the parachutes are still amazingly overpriced. It's $8.30 for a 12" chute when you can get one of several mini engine E2X rockets that come with a 12" chute for $8.49 and a Baby Bertha is only $10.29! Seems the Baby Bertha has replaced the Alpha ($13.79) as the go to kit for a first skill level 1 model. At least in my eyes it has. Nice chunky rocket that's fun to build and fly. You can stick any regular engine up through a C in it and not have to worry about it going out of sight. But I'd question their altitude rating in the catalog. On a C engine that one should go higher than 575 ft.! Anyway, overall a nice catalog with some kits I'm looking forward to.

The thing that amazed me the most was that I got the Flash launch set for $10 at walmart and estes sells the contoler for $29 and the pad for $20 what's up with that?

It is not unusual that larger companies are run by managers with no experience in the specific industry (or lack of interested in the products) rather than by people who understand and love the business.

Short term profits are sometimes more important than the long-term value of a company. Unfortunatly, this is how business works sometimes today.

Remembers me to a recent Dilbert strip:

https://www.dilbert.com/2010-03-25/

Back