• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Free 10" Thumper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thirsty, I'll go in halves with you! We can store the beast at my place in Fremont out of sight. And it will fit in my Highlander for transport to LUNAR and TCC launches. I even have a 12 ft chute sitting around waiting for a rocket to fit. Then all we'd need is a big motor sponsor...

Just PM'd AHansom to see if we can work something out for the good of the order. I just can't let Thirsty go hungry too.

Ok! If you can store it, then I am good with this plan! Are we really doing this?

And you’re right — now we just need some motor sponsors. It could end up that a free rocket is one of the most expensive things you could own. It looks like the L motors that are needed run about $200, more or less. And I don’t have hardware this size. Maybe a single-use DMS L1000 to about 1,500 feet just to see how it flies.

If you have a suitable chute, that would be great. What is the 12-footer like?

@AHansom , it looks like @Mr G and I are going to team up on this. Since he has the vehicle to transport it and the place to store it, I think he will be dealing with you on the logistics.

Thanks so much for this generous offer!

IMG_4377.JPG
The Thumper in its new hutch amid other much smaller breeds.

Thanks, AHansom for donating this fantastic lifting machine with it's cavernous payload bay to the pursuit of lofting troops (or barrels, a carload, a cartload, or a tribe) of stuffed monkey skydivers or other like furry friends into the wild blue!

And great to meet you and share BAR stories - turns out we have likely been at the same launches and just never bumped into each other. Small world, high power rocketry is.

View attachment 409292
The Thumper in its new hutch amid other much smaller breeds.

Thanks, AHansom for donating this fantastic lifting machine with it's cavernous payload bay to the pursuit of lofting troops (or barrels, a carload, a cartload, or a tribe) of stuffed monkey skydivers or other like furry friends into the wild blue!

And great to meet you and share BAR stories - turns out we have likely been at the same launches and just never bumped into each other. Small world, high power rocketry is.

Awesome! I’m so glad you picked this up.

IMG_4418.jpg
First volunteers for the Furry Skydiving Force? There is room for them and more in this thing - the payload bay is huge!
IMG_4419.jpg
All we need to launch is an 8 ft parachute, shock cord, chute protector, a 98mm to 54mm motor mount adapter and a big J or small K motor.

Imagine trying to keep track of a bunch of very light skydivers and a rocket under drogue from 8,000 feet!

Het Thirsty and Mr G. Things are kind of getting back to normal. Any launches coming up. I would like to show up if possible..

Brought it to the last LUNAR launch and got a lot of comments just sitting under the tent. Thirsty and I had a chance to talk about what it would take to get it launch ready and in what configuration. I am working on simplified electronic single deploy (with motor eject backup) and nose weight systems for flights without the electronics bay. I may bring it out this weekend for the Jan 8 LUNAR launch if the systems are completed and the weather holds for a ground deployment test.

First critter flight would likely be at the Feb LUNAR launch. I'll probably then bring it to TCC launches in Helm. AHansom, we will keep you in the loop.

There are chute options - a 12-foot Spherachute is on the shelf that could be installed depending on configuration weight.

Het Thirsty and Mr G. Things are kind of getting back to normal. Any launches coming up. I would like to show up if possible..

This Saturday, March 5, at Snow Ranch is planned for a shake down flight of the shorty Thumper (no E-bay). It took 6 lbs of BBs in the nose to balance, some adapter pieces to fit a 54mm case in a 98mm hole and the installation of an altimeter in the nose cone for chute and skydiver deployment at apogee.

The weather may not cooperate and we could always run into some unseen snag that keeps us from launching. But we have a CTI K635 ready to boost this monster to 1,600 ft if all goes well!

Assuming a successful flight, I will plan to bring the Thumper to another launch during the spring - maybe the TTC launch on March 19th or DairyAire in May. Those are a bit closer to Santa Barbara. I may also attend LDRS in June at ROC in Lucerne Valley which may even be a bit closer to you.
IMG_7465.jpg
Hang check for the "Bear in the Air."

I got to see that rocket at the February LUNAR launch. I was parked next to you Mr. G. Fingers crossed the rain stays away.

Back