10 mm LED's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
I want to build a high power night launch pyramid style odd rock and put 10 mm LED's into the body. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to purchase these larger LED's. I want a simple circuit design and am undecided as using single solid color or flashing multicolor LED's. The goal is to have a low and slow rocket to launch and not have too great a distance to chase it!

I want to build a high power night launch pyramid style odd rock and put 10 mm LED's into the body. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to purchase these larger LED's. I want a simple circuit design and am undecided as using single solid color or flashing multicolor LED's. The goal is to have a low and slow rocket to launch and not have too great a distance to chase it!

Try: https://c-leds.com/shop/

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Try All Electronics, Lots of selection and pretty cheap.
I would just use one color-White.
The colored led's are fun but really don't project once the rocket leaves the pad.
You can overdrive or overvolt the led's for a short amount of time.
If they are 3.0v white led's . You can run them on 4.5 volts with no resistors for a short amount of time. This will give you max light ., but don't expect the led's to last very long.
Good Luck!:cheers:

Please do use multi-color LED, white just don't cut the it. hmmm white LED at 2000 feet on a star night, what white dot is your's? Here's a small video of my 12" saucer, the video tell it all, flashing LED are a plus, but must flash at 60hz or better and have a short off time or just change to a different color is better yet, also the LEDS used should be a wide veiw angle 20+ degrees and 6000 mcd or better. Don't depend on the light from the led to shine at you all the time , shine a few of them on to the object's surface.

link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tP2UB9Vyms

those are 5mm Flashing RGB leds, I now use 10mm with a wider angle and 4 times brighter and starting a 54mm 18" UFO to update my night fleet.

One of my christmas light LED strings developed a BAD short somewhere (probably in the resistor/transformer/whatever it is wart on the cord between plug end and the first light) and repeatedly blew the tiny fuses. I replaced the fuses thinking it was damp weather, and they blew again after a few minutes. I wrapped the dud fuses in aluminum foil and reinstalled them, thinking that would temporarily cure the problem, and within a few seconds got a loud pop that blew up the foil, and when I tried it again, the foil blew instantly when I plugged it in, so obviously whatever minor short was blowing the fuses after a few seconds turned major and ruined the set.

SO, now I have 25 colored LED's in their holders that I can salvage for my next night-launch rocket... I already have a design in mind... this should be fun...

Later! OL JR :)

Back