"10 Lessons We should Have Learned From the Pandemic"

NateB

Reaction score
This is a good article that goes deeper into people leaving the medical field during the course of the pandemic. Obviously some administrators are better than others, but feeling burned out from lack of support is a big problem.

boatgeek

Reaction score
We had a company dinner recently, and it turned out that two of my co-workers' spouses are involved in COVID response. They had a couple of interesting takes:

One is an emergency response trainer and is on the team that is evaluating Seattle's response to the pandemic. Two interesting things:
(1) Up until now, civilian disaster response* has assumed that infrastructure is disabled or destroyed and the focus is getting that infrastructure back online. With COVID, the problem wasn't that infrastructure wasn't available, and that changed people's expectations about how quickly they would receive services.
(2) Up until now, disaster response was considered to be a relatively short-term affair. Sure, rebuilding would take months or years, but the main emergency operations center would get closed down after a month or two. That's sure different with COVID...

* Military responses may be different, but most of us don't play in that world, nor does it necessarily flow over easily.

The other is a volunteer vaccinator at the Seattle mass vaccination clinics. One of their big takeaways is that people lie about eligibility, and the front line staff can't worry about that. Their goal at the clinic level is to get shots in arms. Except for age limits, if someone showed up with an appointment slot, they got the shot. On that point, my wife commented on that early in the vaccination program where there were people jumping the phase line--her take was that the people who were willing to break the rules to get a shot were probably also the ones who most needed the shots because they were going to break the social distancing rules as well.

boomtube-mk2

Reaction score
The other is a volunteer vaccinator at the Seattle mass vaccination clinics. One of their big takeaways is that people lie about eligibility, and the front line staff can't worry about that. Their goal at the clinic level is to get shots in arms. Except for age limits, if someone showed up with an appointment slot, they got the shot. On that point, my wife commented on that early in the vaccination program where there were people jumping the phase line--her take was that the people who were willing to break the rules to get a shot were probably also the ones who most needed the shots because they were going to break the social distancing rules as well.
The problems you mention concerning eligibility rules and those who "break the rules" seems to be a problem largely associated with large population centers.
Here in my city of some 13,000 there really hasn't been any need for picking and choosing who does or doesn't gets the vaccine based on age or occupation etc.
There's plenty of vaccine to go around, it is readily available at many locations and even getting a "Booster" shot hasn't been difficult for anybody who wants one, whether they meet any of the "Qualifications" or not.
As for Appointments nobody I know has needed one, I just walked over to the city Fire Department's. Paramedic Team and viola!

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The problems you mention concerning eligibility rules and those who "break the rules" seems to be a problem largely associated with large population centers.

I would emphasize the "problem" (to the extent it was a problem) was an issue in the PAST, driven by limited supply and excessive demand for the vaccines.
Now that the supply has caught up and exceeds demand, it's really a non-issue.

As for Appointments nobody I know has needed one, I just walked over to the city Fire Department's. Paramedic Team and viola!

Same around here, except for CVS.
That company still has an absolutely asinine user interface for scheduling appointments, and wont give anyone a shot of any kind (Covid, Flu, etc) to anyone without an appointment. Consequently, everyone I know is avoiding CVS like a plague, and is getting shots at either Dr's offices, grocery stores, workplaces, schools, or Costco.
Not surprisingly, CVS has announced that they are shutting down 900 stores. Good riddance: https://www.thestreet.com/latest-ne...onsumer-patterns-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

Last edited:

boatgeek

Reaction score
Here in my city of some 13,000 there really hasn't been any need for picking and choosing who does or doesn't gets the vaccine based on age or occupation etc.
There's plenty of vaccine to go around, it is readily available at many locations and even getting a "Booster" shot hasn't been difficult for anybody who wants one, whether they meet any of the "Qualifications" or not.
I would emphasize the "problem" (to the extent it was a problem) was an issue in the PAST, driven by limited supply and excessive demand for the vaccines.
Now that the supply has caught up and exceeds demand, it's really a non-issue.

The issue of eligibility rules was for (a) back in March/April 2021 in the initial rollout before supply caught up with demand and (b) in the runup to booster shots.

As far as appointments, they're still a little scarce in Seattle proper, but if you drive an hour you can get an appointment within a few days. I think that's mainly because they've dropped from the giant mass vax sites (average 4000 shots/day) to fewer smaller capacity sites. There are lots of people getting booster appointments, but I think they're coming open at times when I wasn't looking at the computer.