1 dead, 3 wounded at UT Austin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
https://kxan.com/2017/05/01/reports-of-multiple-people-stabbed-on-ut-campus/

I was a block away when it happened. I was just working on some assignments related to my field trip last sunday and I heard sirens and thought it was a fire or car accident or something. Then I get a text alert saying someone was stabbed on campus.

I heard (I do not know if it's confirmed) that a guy with a concealed handgun pulled it on the stabber and he ran away where he got arrested.

Think this is a case for death penalty?

Glad you're okay. I just don't understand what makes people wake up one day and decide to hurt other people.

Glad you're okay. I just don't understand what makes people wake up one day and decide to hurt other people.

It's not a one day thing. It's a pressure cooker building up steam day after day after day, until one day it blows.

I do not know what was the motive but according to the news the guy suddenly changed and said he was "going through some stuff". I imagine they will dig it up in the subsequent investigation.

It's not a one day thing. It's a pressure cooker building up steam day after day after day, until one day it blows.

I get that too, but any thought process that ends with hurting innocent people who aren't a threat is almost completely alien to me.

I realize that in this, and in many other ways, I am truly blessed, but still...

I get that too, but any thought process that ends with hurting innocent people who aren't a threat is almost completely alien to me.

I realize that in this, and in many other ways, I am truly blessed, but still...

You're a pastor, right? Apart from God's grace, we would all do this. This is the natural state of man, to be "only evil all the time (Gen. 6:5)."

There are many frames of reference in which "going through some stuff" doesn't result in a killing spree. Religion aids some, while others take comfort that the universe will simply unfold as it should.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Simply possessing the mindset of what is acceptable and what isn't has worked for me. Put in another way, don't screw others over. It's when you step over the line that you deny life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for others.

You're a pastor, right? Apart from God's grace, we would all do this. This is the natural state of man, to be "only evil all the time (Gen. 6:5)."

No, while I understand your point, I don't think so. Beyond that, I can't explain without getting into a religious discussion about Calvinism vs. Arminianism etc. that would be inappropriate for this forum.

I will wait to pass judgement on the death penalty for this person until all the facts are made public.
He might be a victim of daily bulling, and snapped and retaliated.
Or his girl friend could have left him and the one's he attacked are her friends.
But I will say we need the death penalty back for major crimes where there is no reasonable doubt.
Gang members put in prison for life is a useless waste of tax payers money.
Especially, the ones that are here illegally in the first place.

Report I saw said it was targeted at frat members. Not assuming they actually did anything wrong, but if it was targeted, it makes me think that person felt strongly against a certain group.

Life pushes us all to the breaking point. We all have methods of dealing. God, hobbies, drinking, drugs....gardening... Some people see no way out. no release for the anger. it just grows. It's not something I'd do...but i understand it.

two ways to look at it.... don't let people feel this helpless/ don't let anyone have nothing to lose.... or, stop integrating crazies and bring back the nut houses.

Im on the fence there.

I flatly disagree. I've done evil things. Its no natural state. it is anything but. It is abnormal and chaotic.

I sit here now, older... a sleeping ten month old on my chest. calm. This is the natural state of man.

I'm hearing all sorts of rumors but officially they said the guy was targetting random people, not just frat boys.

However I heard another rumor that the guy watches those "all whites are evil" kind of videos or something and it seems he only hurt whites and asians.

Problem is us Asians have to struggle like hell to get a mediocrum of respect, and still there are girls that won't date Asian types because stereotype. But then somehow Asians get lumped in with the "white slavemasters".

Nobody seems to know the first immigration laws were aimed at Chinese Americans.

Thing with news business in the age of instant gratification is the need to say something Right. Now. when there is zero possibility of having available a useful depth of information Right. Now.

Went looking and found this,
What we know about the suspect
https://www.kvue.com/news/local/stabbing-reported-on-ut-campus/435658092
White is a 21-year-old student at UT.
He has been booked on murder and was charged with murder later in the afternoon May 2, according to APD.
Other charges are expected later in the afternoon May 2, according to Austin Police Department Interim Chief Brian Manley.
A search on his criminal records showed that he was arrested in early April for allegedly driving while intoxicated. During that arrest, he allegedly told officers he had been prescribed “happy pills.”
During the May 2 press briefing, police said White was committed in another city.

What was the suspect's motive?
Shortly after the stabbing, rumors were flying on social media regarding the suspect’s motive. Many were speculating that White had targeted members of UT fraternities and sororities.
Authorities do not have information to support that theory.
None of the victims were wearing anything that would indicate they were members of a fraternity. Police do not believe this was a targeted attack or that it was a conspiracy.
UTPD Chief Carter said White has a history of mental illness.

My personal opinion is that some people just have a lack of empathy that allows them to de-humanize their victims. After all, if those you are targeting are less than human, it is much easier to pull the trigger or swing that ball bat. And, I fear, our culture has spent a lot of time over the last decades telling us that "the other guy" is beneath you. Doesn't seem to matter whether you are left or right wing, black or white, Christian or Muslim - your culture seems to go out of its way to push you into believing that your ways are the best and that all others are scum. Call it what you will: Culturalism, Nationalism or Tribalism - the result seems to be the same. And, lets face it - tribalism is built into mankind's nature. In the distant past, it was the key to life or death. Now, it still seems to be, but in an entirely, and sadly different way

Latest posts

Back