1.8x Upscale MAXI-Icarus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
4,413
Reaction score
72
This should be relatively different from most upscale projects on this forum. Well, sandman does have some interesting payloader projects, but this upscale includes a 3" dia. clear payload section!

About three weeks ago I came across an interesting cylindrical length of clear tubing. Like most scratchbuild projects, the tubing I discovered was for something other than rocketry. The first thing I did was snag it from the hands of my girlfriend's shopping buddy and test fit a nosecone. My 1st question was "how much do you want for this?" I got the disgusted look and she said "I don't care. You can have it." My 2nd question was "Really?!" Interestingly enough, the rocket kinda formed around this clear piece of tube. (I'll share the source of the tube in a moment.)

First off, the goal of this build is to successfully upscale the long OOP D-powered Estes MAXI-Icarus. I'm sure it's a kit that strikes a chord with many BARs and rocketry vets, but rung nostalgia for me and I liked it. (I currently have 2 other classic upscales - a 4" dia. Der Red Max and a 2.6" dia Astron Gyroc.)

Secondly, the next major goal is to convince the naked eye that this was a kit and not a pile of tubes and left-over parts.

Finally, the ultimate goal is to launch this bad boy at night with a strobe light in it!

(Click attachment to see a picture of the original.)

est1331@.gif
 
Original MAXI-Icarus specs:

Overall length: 29.75"
NC + Payload Length: 11.75"
BT Length: 18"
Diameter: 1.637"
Nosecone: PNC-60AH
Payload Length: 5"
MMT: 24mm
Weight: 3.2oz

Upscale specs:

Overall length: 54.5"
NC + Payload Length: 21.5"
BT Length: 33"
Diameter: 3"
Nosecone: 3" PML
Payload Length: 9.2"
MMT: 29mm
Approx. Weight: 3 lbs.

Parts:

1. Nosecone: 3" PML
2. Fins: 1/4" Aircraft ply
3. Custom centering rings: 1/4" plain ply
4. Tubing: 3" postal mailing tube (hairy too!)
5. Clear Payload: 3" art brush container
6. Guidance: Rail buttons
7. Recovery: 9/16" tubular nylon, Nomex chute protector, 30" STL T-Cup
8. Motor retention: 29mm Slimline (or the blind t-nut route)
9. Custom payload with 3" ply bulkhead, coupler, and U-bolt
10. Decals - uncertain...possibly the logo will be made in 2 parts using BelDecal waterslide. The roll pattern will more than likely be made of self-adhesive monokote.

...I think that's everything. As you can see in the picture, the coupler, bulkhead, and U-bolt are already assembled.

parts_layout_sm.jpg
 
Here is a pre-assembly picture. As you can see here, the nosecone is inserted into the clear payload section. The bottom half of the payload (about 8") is snug fit into the payload "adapter" - should be a noseblock. Up towards the top of the payload is a "cuff" to mask the nosecone shoulder. Unfortunately the clear tube isn't the same thickness of the cone or airframe, but from 3ft away you'd never tell. The "cuff" is there to maintain a continuous look.

pre-assembly_sm.jpg
 
Here is another pre-assembly picture, but this time with the payload, nosecone, body tube, and fins placed together to give the appearance of a built rocket.

Motor selection on this rocket will vary from an F50T to an H180W. All is dependent on the finished weight. I am truly looking forward to attending a night launch at NEFAR (if possible this year) so that I can burn an H165R in it.
 
cool project
a night launch with a H165R would be really sweet, don't forget to take a pic of that:)
 
Very nice project Eugene. Gonna be yet another SWEET rocket from your workshop.

How are you mounting the fins? Surface? Dado-slot?

Jason
 
Originally posted by jetra2
Very nice project Eugene. Gonna be yet another SWEET rocket from your workshop.

How are you mounting the fins? Surface? Dado-slot?

Jason

TTW to the motor mount. I have some 2-part foam I'd like to try out. :D Hmm, maybe not on this bird.
 


You still haven't told us the source of the clear tube....

Great looking bird by the way...!!!
 
Originally posted by Steward


You still haven't told us the source of the clear tube....

Great looking bird by the way...!!!

Oops....over at our favorite coupon place - Michael's - they sell a paintbrush assortment that comes in this nifty 3" clear cylinder/jar. I have no idea how much the brushes cost, but if you know someone interest in painting maybe you can convince them to buy a set. :)
 
Will we see this baby at NEFAR? PLEASE :D

I'm building an original Estes Icarus right now. It belongs to one of my favorite Estes rockets :)
 
I've had my eye on a Maxi-Icarus project too, only I was thinking a clone or perhaps a *slight* upscale to a BT70 so I could use the Apogee clear tube and a 3 x 24mm cluster. I'll keep my eye on your build - looking good so far!
 
Originally posted by Leo
Will we see this baby at NEFAR? PLEASE :D

I'm building an original Estes Icarus right now. It belongs to one of my favorite Estes rockets :)

I will make an extended effort to complete this rocket for next month. :) I could still fly it on an H motor here in our home field in Tampa. A G75J or H97J would look cool!
 
Originally posted by eugenefl
Oops....over at our favorite coupon place - Michael's - they sell a paintbrush assortment that comes in this nifty 3" clear cylinder/jar. I have no idea how much the brushes cost, but if you know someone interest in painting maybe you can convince them to buy a set. :)
Hey, I saw those today and thought that might be your source. The brush kit was only something like $6.99.
Is that tube really strong enough? An H180 is gonna compress it a bit, isn't it? What kind of wall thickness does it have?
When I was building the all clear syringe rocket I got some samples of 3" polycarbonate tubing from some online source, in 1/32 and 1/16 wall. That stuff is stout
 
sounds like a nice build eugene, I'll have to check out those brush cannisters next time.



Swingwing,can you post a pic of the syringe rocket?
 
Originally posted by SwingWing
Hey, I saw those today and thought that might be your source. The brush kit was only something like $6.99.
Is that tube really strong enough? An H180 is gonna compress it a bit, isn't it? What kind of wall thickness does it have?
When I was building the all clear syringe rocket I got some samples of 3" polycarbonate tubing from some online source, in 1/32 and 1/16 wall. That stuff is stout

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head over its ability to withstand the liftoff and airspeeds. I just imagine that the cylindrical shape can stand up to vertical forces that act on it. (Ever stand on a perfectly shaped soda can? Wierd how it kinda supports the weight of a bigger person. Touch it with a finger and it collapses instantly.)

If I have to add noseweight, it'll be below the clear payload in the airframe section just above the bulkhead to prevent a possible buckle in the plastic. It's still early enough to use a different clear payload.

Do you still have the URL of the vendor for the clear tubing you're using? I wouldn't mind checking that out. Cool oddroc btw!!!
 
Eugene,

Have you considered doubling up the wall of the clear tubing with another tube?

Jason
 
Originally posted by eugenefl

Do you still have the URL of the vendor for the clear tubing you're using? I wouldn't mind checking that out.
I don't think so, I'll do some checking tonite at home. I do still have most of the tubing though.
You might be able to run a dowel or two down the payload tube to strengthen it.
 
Forgive the brief ramble,

After some 15yrs I got out my Estes Phoenix last week and immediately blew it up. So I decided to get back into rocketry with both feet as a winter hobby. I am currently finishing up a 2.6" Navy Strike from Cluster R (I purchased 15yrs ago) while I gather parts to build a F powered Phoenix clone. As I am doing this I was researching to build some of the classics.

Currently on the RockSim drawing board, (Original and up scale); Der Red Max, Goblin and (My Favorite) Maxi-Icarus, which leads me here.

I too am thinking of a 3" version of this and while looking for polycarbonate pipe I came across different types of clear PVC tubing. I would appreciate any thoughts or alternatives.

Excelon R-4000 but the O.D.s are not very close and I have not found a vendor.

Also I found at Mcmaster-Carr Search for Part #8486K367 Clear Cast Acrylic Hollow Rod 3-1/4" OD X 3" ID, 1' Length $14.64

Lastly, I found JimZ’s site but I was looking for the fin dimensions of the Maxi-Icarus and Goblin, I don’t think I scaled them right.

Thanks, Merican
 
I've been held up for a few days mainly because of time and general lack of interest in wanting to be out on the deck sweating myself to death. I finally lugged my drill press out of the storage closet and drilled out the 29mm holes for the MMT tube. (If you'll notice in earlier pictures you see that the CR's are just blank discs with no holes.) Besides, I'm also in the middle of a <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11208">FlisKits FarScape</a> documented build and sometimes the A/C indoors beats the heck out of outdoor slaving on making parts for scratchbuild upscale rockets! At any rate, I'm set on having this bird ready for next month when Leo will be in Florida for a few rocket meets. I kinda feel obligated since the guy is making such a long trip ya know? ;)

Once the CRs were drilled out with the single 29mm hole I went inside to the A/C and assembled the fincan. (Now I know what you were thinking...trust me, I was tempted to add 24mm or 18mm extras for a nice cluster mount!)

I would have proceeded to the airframe slotting and fincan install but alas I noticed the cheap 3" mailing tube was "bowed" and not straight. :( No worries. A trip to Office Depot or Staples tomorrow should remedy the problem!

That's all for now. Time to experiment with some BelDecal waterslide. Check out the attached pic.

fincan_payload.jpg
 
Here's a separate picture of the fincan. The entire assembly is glued together with absurd amounts of CyA. I think I may still add epoxy reinforcing for good measure.

Hopefully the Slimline retainer will arrive before the weekend.

fincan_sm.jpg
 
Looking great Sir :cool:

I can't wait to see it roar to the skies (and make pics too) :)
 
Originally posted by Leo
Looking great Sir :cool:

I can't wait to see it roar to the skies (and make pics too) :)

Thank you Sir.

Last night I picked up some new tubing at Office Depot. Man their 3" stuff fits perfectly to a 3" PML or LOC cone. The fin slots have been cut and the MMT inserted. Time for a new bottle of CyA before I can go any further.
 
Here's an overall assembled view. It's starting to look like a rocket!
 
Awesomely Awesome, Eugene! Keep up the great work...or ELSE! ;)

When's the first flight? Next month?

Jason
 
Originally posted by jetra2
Awesomely Awesome, Eugene! Keep up the great work...or ELSE! ;)

When's the first flight? Next month?

Jason

Actually, I was thinking of doing a test flight tomorrow on a G80-7. I was kinda hoping the Slimline retainer would have arrived by now but it'll more than likely be another few days or so. It'll definitely be ready for next month. FYI - I'll be attending NEFAR on Oct. 9. It'll certainly be ready by then. Can anyone say, H97J? :D
 
Originally posted by Merican
Forgive the brief ramble,

After some 15yrs I got out my Estes Phoenix last week and immediately blew it up. So I decided to get back into rocketry with both feet as a winter hobby. I am currently finishing up a 2.6" Navy Strike from Cluster R (I purchased 15yrs ago) while I gather parts to build a F powered Phoenix clone. As I am doing this I was researching to build some of the classics.

Currently on the RockSim drawing board, (Original and up scale); Der Red Max, Goblin and (My Favorite) Maxi-Icarus, which leads me here.

I too am thinking of a 3" version of this and while looking for polycarbonate pipe I came across different types of clear PVC tubing. I would appreciate any thoughts or alternatives.

Excelon R-4000 but the O.D.s are not very close and I have not found a vendor.

Also I found at Mcmaster-Carr Search for Part #8486K367 Clear Cast Acrylic Hollow Rod 3-1/4" OD X 3" ID, 1' Length $14.64

Lastly, I found JimZ’s site but I was looking for the fin dimensions of the Maxi-Icarus and Goblin, I don’t think I scaled them right.

Thanks, Merican

Merican, first off, WELCOME TO TRF! I just sat down to reread through this thread and rediscovered this post. Sorry for not responding sooner. I checked out the tubing at McMaster-Carr that you suggested. The clear tubing has an O.D. of 3 1/4". The O.D. of my MAXI-Icarus tubing is 3 1/8". Although the difference is not all that significant, I think I'm going to go ahead and give what I have a shot. It's not that thick at all and has a minimal amount of flex when squeezed on the sides, but overall it has a "tough" feel to it. I think I'll keep this thread in mind for future upscale clear tubing. As for my clear paintbrush canister, I just don't see the cylinder collapsing on itself or catching a bad wind and folding over during the boost phase. I could be wrong and the mistake could be costly, but hey, it's certainly worth experimenting with. The only load that will be applied to the clear tube is the nosecone. All noseweight will be installed in the tubing just below the clear tubing.

Future payloads will be cradled in their own custom centering rings. These payloads will evenly distribute the weight and stresses on the clear tubing a little more evenly.

Anyways, hopefully you'll post some pictures of your builds and upscale projects. Sounds like you are pretty busy building!
 
Back
Top