1/8" Lugs on a 3/16" rod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any issues launching a rocket with 1/8" lugs off a 3/16" rod?

I've done it before and did not witness any issues.

I kind of have standardized on 1/8" lugs but forgot the bigger rod! :(

Did you mean 3/16 lugs on a 1/8 rod? If so, that's ok so long as it's not heavy enough to create rod whip. If as written, no. Won't fit.

Jim Flis taught me a neat trick if you want to put larger lugs on a rocket (swap out 1/8" to larger 3/16")...rather than completely remove the lug, slice most of it off length-wise, then you have a nice pad to glue the new lug, cover it with a glue filet and nobody's the wiser

Attachments

• LaunchLug- 1.jpg
    LaunchLug- 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 95
  • LaunchLug- 2.jpg
    LaunchLug- 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 81
  • LaunchLug- 4.jpg
    LaunchLug- 4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 97
  • LaunchLug- 3.jpg
    LaunchLug- 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 98
  • LaunchLug-5.jpg
    LaunchLug-5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 105
Ummm yea... the other way around... oops :p

That's a great idea to mod the launch lug. Thank you very much!

Launch rods tend to bend easily anyway. Building a rocket to use the next size larger rod is a good thing, but flying a rocket on a size smaller rod could result in chatter and excess rod whip. Many RSOs will not allow it, including me.

Launch rods tend to bend easily anyway. Building a rocket to use the next size larger rod is a good thing, but flying a rocket on a size smaller rod could result in chatter and excess rod whip. Many RSOs will not allow it, including me.
I am a scratch builder, and I have found paper soda straws a great inexpensive alternative to stock style 1/8” and 3/16” lugs, although the diameter of the straw is oversized for both rods.

I am not shooting for performance/altitude, so the extra drag doesn’t bother me.

I use a 3/16” rod for larger rockets, a 1/8” for smaller ones.

I haven’t had a bad experience yet that I could attribute to the oversized lug.

Agree that a 1/8” lug is generally too tight on a 3/16” rod and will likely bind on launch

I am starting to use mini rail buttons more than 3/16" rod. They are stronger on rockets that would use 3/16" rods and our club is starting to have them at launches..

There are some rockets that come with 3/16 lugs, that are light enough to comfortably use a 1/8 rod. It's a "use your best conservative judgment" scenario.

Back