1/70th SEMROC Saturn 1B wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saluki

Reaction score
I have drawn wraps for the 1/70 scale SEMROC Saturn 1B. I was going to do a build thread to show how they would be installed on the tubes. Then I realized that these wraps are installed like any other wraps (like those used on the Dr.Zooch rockets). So, I see no need for such a build thread.

These wraps are prepared like any other wraps. Print them out. Give the ink time to dry. Spray a clear coat to protect them from scratches and moisture. Draw a straight line from end to end of the tubes to help get a straight start. I can see the fuel tanks being used more than any of the others.

If you would like a set of the .pdf files of these wraps, send me a massage to my in-box on this forum with the email address that you want me to send them. You may use the files for your personal use – just don't sell them. If you have questions when you start to use them, you can email me.

70 Saturn 1B fuel tanks.jpgTail Ring Wrap.jpgSecond Stage wraps.jpgLEM Shroud.jpg

That is very impressive!
I can appreciate the time that went into all the drawings.
Great work!
I'm sending a PM for the wraps.

Some of the corrugations in the kit wraps seem to disappear anyway - this might be the way to go!
I would probably want to print them on higher quality 110 lb. stock than the stuff I usually buy at WalMart.
If the printer were set on "highest quality" the wraps would come out darker black to match the density of any other black paint on the model.

Thank you for your offer. I wish I had the talent to make things like these.

I have tried to fill all the requests that I received today for the 1/70th Saturn 1B wraps.
If you did not receive yours, let me know.

Well, all of you have kept me busy emailing out the Saturn 1B wraps. I hope everyone got theirs. If you haven't let me know and I will keep trying .
At first I had all eight files in one email. A lot of these email did not go through, so I had to break the files down into four pages. This was the trick.
I have been working on these for over a year off and on. I decided it was time to finish them. I used a lot of information I found on the net, on the forums TRF and YORF. Most of all 90% came from drawings purchased from David Weeks (c1991,2002). I tried to do the best I could to keep the detail as true as possible. I know there are thing that shouldn't be there and things that should be there that are not, so be easy on me for my mistakes. I'm sure the fuel tanks will be used the most. They are what got this whole project started.

I hope my efforts help in some small way to make your Saturn 1Bs builds easier in some way.

So for now keep them flying.
Frank.

I have been ask. What type of clear coat would you recommend and how many coats?

I work on paper models also. When I print out a wrap or model on paper I use KRYLON UV-Resistant Clear/Acrylic coating. It protects against UV light rays, non-yellowing permanent coating, Moisture-resistant, and dries in minutes. It comes in Gloss or Matt finish. I am lucky I have a Hobby Lobby near me so I buy it there. I have seen this at wal-mart in there craft dept.

The number of coats is up to you. I spray one generous coat and let it dry for at least an hour.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about this.

Frank.

I have been ask. What type of clear coat would you recommend and how many coats?

I work on paper models also. When I print out a wrap or model on paper I use KRYLON UV-Resistant Clear/Acrylic coating. It protects against UV light rays, non-yellowing permanent coating, Moisture-resistant, and dries in minutes. It comes in Gloss or Matt finish. I am lucky I have a Hobby Lobby near me so I buy it there. I have seen this at wal-mart in there craft dept.

The number of coats is up to you. I spray one generous coat and let it dry for at least an hour.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about this.

Frank.

First of all,props to Frank who developed these incredible wraps! They are amazing.

Secondly, I agree with the Krylon clear. I use it on almost every rocket I have built with great results.

I can usually get it a Walmart for 3 bucks a can if they will price match at the register.

It is also compatible with Rusto 2x which Menards sells everyday for 3 bucks a can.

I prefer the Krylon spray nozzle but that's just me. I am going to try more Rusto 2x this year because I found a trigger snap on that works quite well (I have limited use of my right hand).

Cheers!!

For anyone who ask me to send them the files for my 1/70th Saturn 1B wraps, and you didn't receive them.
You can go over to YORF an find them in post #26 in the thread 1/70th SEMROC Saturn 1B wraps.
Thanks Scott.

Frank.

OMG, I've had a Semroc Saturn 1B in the box for two years, every time I open it up I realize that I'm not a good enough modeler to finish it pretty. You've done the entire rocketry world a great service, Thank You! :clap:

+1000 on the wraps. I printed a set today, once the printer and I saw eye-to-eye, and they are just beautiful. I mentioned to Frank that I have a Kosrox kit and a partial SEMROC kit pieces parts that may get to see the light of day now. Thanks to all for the efforts.

Chas

Darn you SEMROC!!!

Please get those S1Bs back on the market as soon as humanly possible. :p

I have drawn wraps for the 1/70 scale SEMROC Saturn 1B. I was going to do a build thread to show how they would be installed on the tubes. Then I realized that these wraps are installed like any other wraps (like those used on the Dr.Zooch rockets). So, I see no need for such a build thread.

These wraps are prepared like any other wraps. Print them out. Give the ink time to dry. Spray a clear coat to protect them from scratches and moisture. Draw a straight line from end to end of the tubes to help get a straight start. I can see the fuel tanks being used more than any of the others.

If you would like a set of the .pdf files of these wraps, send me a massage to my in-box on this forum with the email address that you want me to send them. You may use the files for your personal use just don't sell them. If you have questions when you start to use them, you can email me.

View attachment 163634View attachment 163635View attachment 163636View attachment 163637
I love the wraps! The only problem I have with printing them is I have to print them at 109% to get them to fit the body tube. I have the Semroc version. The LEM wrap fit perfect. I don’t know what I am doing wrong, any ideas. I import them into Adobe and the print them out but I can’t scale them with my current version of Adobe. When I copy them at 109%, I lose detail and the color is way off. Help.

I love the wraps! The only problem I have with printing them is I have to print them at 109% to get them to fit the body tube. I have the Semroc version. The LEM wrap fit perfect. I don’t know what I am doing wrong, any ideas. I import them into Adobe and the print them out but I can’t scale them with my current version of Adobe. When I copy them at 109%, I lose detail and the color is way off. Help.
I have same problem. Did you get any help?

Back