1/62 Scale Vostok?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loojack

Reaction score
Is there anyway I can get a copy of the 1/62 scale Vostok plans from Peter Alway's Art of Scale Model Rocketry? I know that the book is out of print, and I don't want to bother Mr. Alway while he's work on the Saturn V project. Thanks, loojack

Sandman, Thanks for the reply. I've already built one in 1/100 scale, a great project. I'm looking for something bigger, like the same as the 1/100 but built around a bt-60 or so, instead of the bt-50. I've drawn up some plans using VCP (a great program) but was interested in the plans in The Art of Scale model Rocketry. Thanks again, loojack

One of these days, I really want to get <i>The Art of Scale Model Rocketry</i> back in print. One step on the way will be to convert the plan from MacDraw to a large GIF file that scales down to 1 300dpi graphic on an 8.5" x 11" page. That's not way high on my immediate priorities, but I do mean to work on it.

Originally posted by Peter Alway
One of these days, I really want to get <i>The Art of Scale Model Rocketry</i> back in print.

Please do. Please, please, pretty please.

Bill

Guys...I hate what these dumb post do to me sometimes...

A while back there was a really good drawing in Sport Rocketry (sort of a centerfold) of a Vostok. I think it was in Serilik too.

I have looked through all my stuff and can't find it.

That doesn't mean it's not there...it just means I can't find it!..yet!

Anybody know what issue that was?

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
A while back there was a really good drawing in Sport Rocketry (sort of a centerfold) of a Vostok. I think it was in Serilik too.

Anybody know what issue that was?

That was the May/June 2001 issue, the drawing was by Vladimir Minakov. There was a (lower-res) scan on the website with the VERY nice cardstock Vostok, but that site now seems to be gone.

The URL was https://hjem.get2net.dk/ClassicPaperSpaceModels/cspmr7vostok.htm , just in case it starts working again (I doubt it though, it's been gone for at least 3 weeks).

Originally posted by vjp
That was the May/June 2001 issue, the drawing was by Vladimir Minakov.

That is an excellent drawing, more detailed and more accurate than what is in <i>Rockets of the World.</i>

Originally posted by Peter Alway
That is an excellent drawing, more detailed and more accurate than what is in <i>Rockets of the World.</i>

And if you want the ULTIMATE in detail, buy the NARTS Russian Scale data CD-ROM. This has the actual CAD drawings that were used to create the S.R. centerfold, and they are simply mind-boggling (even compared to the centerfold).

The NARTS disk is $29.95, and comes with the Volo View Express software to view the CAD files. In addition to the Vostok, there's drawings and photos of the Energiya, Buran, N-1, and lots of others. This disk is worth every penny.

I didn't know those were available from NARTS. I got that material on some CD's that Mike Dorffler was selling, but he got out of the business. I'm glad to hear that NARTS has those. If they have what I think they do based on your description, I heartily recommend it. That is the sort of thing that I "dumb down" to squeeze into a page or two in one of my books.

When Mike shut down his business, he gave me a really good deal on a complete set of his CDs. But, I already had the Russian set. So, if anyone wants my spare set, make me an offer.

len.

And if you want the ULTIMATE in detail, buy the NARTS Russian Scale data CD-ROM. This has the actual CAD drawings that were used to create the S.R. centerfold, and they are simply mind-boggling (even compared to the centerfold).

The NARTS disk is $29.95, and comes with the Volo View Express software to view the CAD files. In addition to the Vostok, there's drawings and photos of the Energiya, Buran, N-1, and lots of others. This disk is worth every penny.

Are the CAD files .dwg (autocad) format?

Back