1.5X upscale Estes Tomcat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary

Reaction score
I am building a 1.5X upscale Estes Tomcat with folding wings.I am
just at the point of assembly (all parts cut and ready to glue) and I
thought I'd poll you guys to see if anyone has any suggestions about
making a good flying Tomcat. The original is known to have several
problems:

1.....When launched off vertical or in any wind it will veer off
sometimes to the point of landsharking..I have upscaled by 1.5X and
DOUBLED the thrust. I am told this should help with these problems
(They are said to be due to the bird being underpowered)...any ideas?

2.....The glider is known to go into ever-tightening spiral dives
even when balanced due to the oversized vertical stab and rudder
(over effective) so I have reduced the area of the H stab. (& v stab)

Any suggestions would be appreciated but make it quick as assembly
begins very soon.

Gary

P.S. I have also increased the aspect ratio of the wings to improve
glide performance and stability.

hi Gary welcome !
I'm not much of a glider person so I can't offer much help, but I sure would enjoy seeing some pics as you progress !
I,ve never seen an upscale of this bird , sounds interesting!

Gary - I fly RCRG's - Radio Controlled Rocket Gliders (look closely at my avatar). Your modifications sound just like what the doctor ordered. I think you'll be fine.

HOWEVER - I wouldn't spend much time on finishing it (by finishing, I mean like decals and detailing - that kind of finishing) until after you test fly it. And, if you can get some flight pics (or maybe even vids!) that would be great.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you. I would love to build some dihedral into the wings but the best way I have so far is to hinge the wings and I just don't like it from a strength/stability/appearance standpoint. It should make a world of difference to the flight characteristics.

Any thoughts?

GB

Well it flies about as well as any other Tomcat...(Big loop into the ground). I need to fly it on Aerotech "E" motor I think..But I only have an "F" and a CTI Pro 38 "G" (Evil Grin...)

Gary

Originally posted by Gary
Well it flies about as well as any other Tomcat...(Big loop into the ground). I need to fly it on Aerotech "E" motor I think..But I only have an "F" and a CTI Pro 38 "G" (Evil Grin...)

Gary

Ouch! Good effort though. I saw the pictures of the rocket and boy does that sucker look big!

Ya...It's pretty big compared to the original but I still want to try a 2X upscale on "G" and "H" motors....Not until I get this one flying better though....It survived 3 "semi" succesful flights....

Just need those "E"'s

Gary

Back