1:45 SpaceX Falcon 9 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
So... if you've seen any of my other posts you'll notice I have a thing for SpaceX and the Falcon 9 (plus all of their other projects).

Last night, I built the Falcon 9 and Fairing kit that SpaceX manufactures and sells in OpenRocket.
After the end of that, I started kicking a dangerous idea around to build a larger version of the kit... x2.

So after having a dream about it, (yes, I had a dream about building it...) I built the scaled up version in OpenRocket.
It turns out that it flies in OR, so that's a good thing.

Here are the basic stats:

Weight: 3 pounds, 9 oz.
Length: 61.8 inches
Main Body: 3.5 inches
Fairing/Payload bay: 4.5 inches
Motor Mount: 38mm
Retainer: Aeropack

I've attached the OR file at the end of the post.
If you have a few extra minutes, please take a look and see if you notice any critical errors to why it wouldn't work.
This is just an idea as of right now.
I have not sourced the parts or anything of the kind.
I'm thinking that I may need to have someone with access to a 3D printer print out some of the parts if I can't find them.
I have never built a HPR rocket with heavy cardboard... Only two out of FG.
Is this too lofty or something with a bit of resourcefulness and elbow grease is doable?
It would probably be one of my favorite projects ever!
It isn't letting me attach my OR file for some reason.
I'll try adding it as a separate post.
Any feedback, positive or negative is greatly appreciated.

Well... this blows.
It's not letting me upload my .ork file of 1.5kb.
Not sure what's going on. I'll have to try again later.

File uploading problems in general.

Just a thought ( projecting a bit here ), but if you went 3in you could easily keep it class 1 model / MPR

BMS sells the larger school rocket for an outrageously low price, and it would make a fine starting point.

Looking forward to it, regardless!

DH,

I was actually thinking about taking it from 3.5" to 3" just for availibility of parts in the size.
Height would stay the same.

Not sure which BMS you are talking about.
Balsa Machining Service is the only rocketry site that has BMS in the name and no F9 to be found.
Finding the right size transitions and right size nosecone to be accurate to scale is proving quite difficult.

DH,

I was actually thinking about taking it from 3.5" to 3" just for availibility of parts in the size.
Height would stay the same.

Not sure which BMS you are talking about.
Balsa Machining Service is the only rocketry site that has BMS in the name and no F9 to be found.
Finding the right size transitions and right size nosecone to be accurate to scale is proving quite difficult.

Sorry: they have a Small School Rocket and a Large School Rocket. The LSR is a pretty great starting point for anything a person could want to make in 3in MPR.

Ahhhhh, got it.

I was starting to wonder if that is what you meant.
The kit body tube is kind of small, but the tubes are exactly what I need.
Thanks for the direction!
I'll keep the project updated, and if I end up dropping it or not.
Right now it's an obsession so... :)

In the mean time, I'll scale everything back in OR to fit a 3" airframe and the 4" fairing.
Thanks again!

Ooh, another Falcon 9 thread that I can absentmindedly say the same things in!

This rocket really has your attention. If you stick with it.....I can smell an amazing L2 project for you in the future.

Good luck!

It's had my attention for a long time even before anybody was flying it as a model.
As of this moment it's looking like I'm going to have to make some of my own parts on a wood lathe or very carefully do it by hand.
It's appearing less likely that I will be able to find urethane/PVC parts in the shape and size that I need them in.
On that note. If I hand make those parts, I should be able to have my hands on the rest of the materials and start construction by mid January ish!!
If I ever get a chance to do a F9 for my L2... I might be the happiest guy alive at that moment.

Last edited:
This is cool. The Falcon 9 kit is on my wish list and an upscale adds glory!

Did you know the real Falcon 9 actually has a real User Manual? At first I thought it was a joke, but nope its real.

I see no mention of landing legs... can't be a real F9 model if it has to perform an undignified flop on the ground instead of landing on its feet.

Back