1/3 Scale X-15 Project Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right, I was talking about the B-52, the X-15 will be very neat to see at 1/3 scale. I have a 3.5 foot X-15 RC rocket glider I fly all the time, I'm happy to see someone do a large scale X-15, even if not RC it will still be great to see fly.

Frank

Originally Posted by burkefj
I think that's closer to 1/6 scale, which would be about 26 feet long....not 1/3 scale, that would be quite a bit bigger....

Handeman, the post above was about the size of the B52, not the X15. Your dimensions are accurate for the X15. Our 1/3 scale will be about 17ft +/-

Hey all-

A quick update for you... We had our second build day yesterday and made a lot more progress. We got the last section of sonotube glassed, got the nose cone foam cut and put on a stick and got the tail cone slots cut in the airframe.

More pics have been posted at https://photobucket.com/PunkrocketscienceX-15 for your viewing pleasure, but here is a teaser!

0322091328.jpg

Thanx for the post Todd. That nose cone is gonna be huge!! 66" +/-. What we gonna use for nose weight?

Looks like we're getting a bit behind so we'll need to schedule 2 builds in April. If interested, PM me.

Hey all-

A new batch of photos have been posted from yesterday's build session.

We got the wings and elevators cut out, the tube coupler glued in place and started marking out the wing fairings on the foam. The motor mount is coming together with the 6 inch adapter tubes!

Would have loved to have seen the pics and the future ones. But the site is so over-bloated and loads so slow. And the last straw was no link to the X-15 once I waited for yet another page to load-load-load-load. I tried the projects pages, and the photo gallery pages, and no X-15 there. I guess if I surfed and waited waited waited enough I'd finally found it.

My personal error message - "George's patience for overbloated sites that load too slow and require surfing and more bloated long loads to get to the content EXCEEDED - TIMED OUT".

And I have a cable modem running here too and tried another browser which was just as slow.

Love the project, hate the hassle to try to get to it.

Anyway, if there are direct links to this project please list them.

- George Gassaway

agreed, at first I could'nt find the link and when i did had troubled loading the website. I would love to see the pictures on this forum instead of relying on another website.:rolleyes:

George & "BB"
Sorry to hear you are having troble loading the PhotoBucket. I am including a link here that may be a bit easier to follow:
https://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/prsx15/?
Maybe copy and paste it to your browser and maybe that will work easier.
Going forward, I will post a few of the phots and remarks here so that all can follow the build a bit easier. Photos compliments of Todd, Jesse & Scott.

As for the actual photos, we got alot done yesterday & with a 2nd build coming up April 25 we are sure to get back on schedule! Nice shots Todd & Jesse!

Bondo, Punk, and team-

Did I see what I thought I saw in those pix? Are the horiz tails going to be made from one piece of plywood, and remain flat?

Or do you have some trick up your sleeve(s) to create the annhedral later?

And how about the biggest nose cone you ever saw? Like 70" +/-!!
X15.5.jpgX15.6.jpgX15.7.jpg
X15.8.jpg

Wing cutting and sanding as well as tube scoring and laminating:
X15.9.jpgX15.10.jpgX15.11.jpg
X15.12.jpg

Bondo, Punk, and team-

Did I see what I thought I saw in those pix? Are the horiz tails going to be made from one piece of plywood, and remain flat?

Or do you have some trick up your sleeve(s) to create the annhedral later?

Hey Powder-

Nah... It's an optical illusion... The horizontal tails are two pieces that are just pushed in to keep the airframe from rolling down the driveway... We plan on using the scale 15 degree angle on them.

George and BB-

Were you looking at the Photobucket photos or were you looking at Punk-Rockets.com? The Photobucket photos load very quickly on my connection. We know that Punk-Rockets.com is WAY Flash heavy and needs to be re-vamped which is why we aren't posting the project photos there for this build.

Either way, sorry for the difficulty in viewing the photos and thanks for you interest in the project! As Bondo has done for this series of photos, we will try to post the best of them here so you can check them out!

Were you looking at the Photobucket photos or were you looking at Punk-Rockets.com? The Photobucket photos load very quickly on my connection. We know that Punk-Rockets.com is WAY Flash heavy and needs to be re-vamped which is why we aren't posting the project photos there for this build.
I missed that link in your March 23rd message, I was was going by your April 12th message that said more photos were posted. So I was indeed looking for it on the Punk-rockets site. And I am glad to hear that site is going to be revamped.

Now that I see them on the photobucket site, the build pics look great. I laughed when I saw the photo of someone “riding” the laid-out parts on the driveway. Reminded me of Slim Pickens riding the bomb in Dr. Strangelove.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
much better!! thanks for correcting the link. X-15 looks awesome.:D

Very cool looking project. I have been kicking around a mid power X-15 build for a little while now, but it is nothing even close to what you got going on. Hats off to you, this looks pretty awesome.

Awesome. Any chance this will make it to XPRS this year?

When is XPRS? We are shooting for completion for Plaster Blaster in October. I have heard rumors that PB may push back a month this year to November. If it survives that flight, we are thinking of road tripping to somewhere where we can fly it on some bigger motors... :D After all, we can fit up to two 6" x 48" casings in it!

When is XPRS? We are shooting for completion for Plaster Blaster in October. I have heard rumors that PB may push back a month this year to November. If it survives that flight, we are thinking of road tripping to somewhere where we can fly it on some bigger motors... :D After all, we can fit up to two 6" x 48" casings in it!

XPRS September: 18-20

www.xprs.org

This thing is so cool! If you make it towards the east coast I would donate (for the price of AP $150? ;) ) 2 36" O motors for this thing! How about 2 white O5400s?

Ben

Ben,
That is a most genreous offer!

Where "towards the east" do you fly Nx2 class motors?

We have talked alot about Black Rock but we're somewhat open to suggestions..............

Well I finaly did it, I wen't through all the pics on the Photobucket site lastnight and added titles to all three pages of pics. If you find a factual error please let me know if you find spelling errors, deal with it.

Ben,
That is a most genreous offer!

Where "towards the east" do you fly Nx2 class motors?

We have talked alot about Black Rock but we're somewhat open to suggestions..............

Black Rock could work. I am not sure if I am doing BALLS this year or next. Ill let you know.

Not 2 N motors...... 2 *O* motors :)

Ben

My bad, 2xO!! Now that's some power! I will stay in touch! Thanx for your interest in our project! Easy, Rick

My bad, 2xO!! Now that's some power! I will stay in touch! Thanx for your interest in our project! Easy, Rick

I will get ARTS Data on the O's I fly at LDRS this year and you guys can rocsim them.

Ben

That would be awesome! You can PM me when you have the data if you'd like.

Have a great LDRS!

Attached are a few photos from Saturday's build.
First photo is our "Bubba Lathe" we are using to turn our 6ft nose cone! And that's Todd with the suit on! NICE.......

X15.20.jpg

X15.21.jpg

X15.22.jpg

Back