- Feb 20, 2019
- Reaction score
- Dayton, Oh
I'm with you on the tired thing. Most screw ups I have are when I'm trying to sneak in time when the tank is nearly empty.Alot of frustrating things happened later on in the rocket build day.
Jigs finished up just fine. After that, started working on harnesses. Started off with 32 feet of 1/2” Kevlar. Well, 3 hour long story short, my singer sewing machine wouldn’t sew it effectively, kept jamming. Likely too thick. Then I entertained just making knots for the three different places for each upper and lower harness. I couldn’t tie any kind of knot that would fit inside the front of the nose cone on the bolt. I then bust out my serger machine to try to give that a whirl. Broke it in 2 minutes. I’m livid at this point lol. Took a break to eat, and then got out the 3/8” Kevlar. Still good with a 200g safety factor plus 600 pounds, so figured it’s way good still. The singer sewed that material beautifully. Wish I wouldn’t have wasted 6 hours. This prevented ground testing today. F.
I then glued the switchband to the coupler with 5 min epoxy. Made a dumb error here. I didn’t put the bulkheads on the coupler when I drilled. When I used the jigs I printed and drilled up the switchband, booster, and nose cone for vent holes and shear pins, I didn’t take into account for the bulkhead thickness, and you guessed it, when I temp fit everything together, there is a gap. This is a problem. Guess I will print a spacer and glue it on. Stupid things that happen when you are tired. Oh well, at least it’s not a mistake that cannot be overcome. Got the avionics bay dialed in to the switch pin by adjusting the nuts on the threaded rod. Rocket is almost complete minus ground test and finish. Unfortunately ground testing prob won’t happen tomorrow as I have a commitment after work, so shooting for Tuesday.
HPR Launch season around here is only two weeks away, and lots to do still. Hoping to get it done.
Tough day, hopefully tomorrow is better.
anxiously awaiting pictures after painting is doneOver the last few days I finally figured out my livery, name and theme. The rocket pair will be Fire and Ice. Two reasons, and theme ties in, and that is dragons. 1) ice- Nike booster will be createx aluminum, and a beautiful electric pearl blue. Dragon tie is Viserion, the ice dragon, after the night king reanimated him. 2) fire— tomahawk sustainer will be black, red, with copper fins and switch band, white nose cone. Dragon tie is drogon, who was red and black as well. I found some really cool Ying yang dragon graphics, as well as some tribal dragon graphics to accompany. I’ll reveal those when the paint job is all said and done.
Alot of frustrating things happened later on in the rocket build day.
I then glued the switchband to the coupler with 5 min epoxy. Made a dumb error here. I didn’t put the bulkheads on the coupler when I drilled.
Tough day, hopefully tomorrow is better.
Thanks, I put a lot of thinking into these builds, that’s why it takes me months to build a rocket I suppose. You can see my fix a few posts later, made sure that just cutting a blade width off the top of the coupler wouldn’t change any other dimensions, and it didn’t. Made the cut and back to flush!You think you are the only person on earth who has made that same mistake?? I made it on my Demon 5 AND my Demon 150!!!!
Easiest way to rectify it is to simply file a taper on the bulkhead leading edge so that it clears the curve of the N/C. If you have a rasp, its literally a 5min job and that includes sanding it all nice and smooth. I then like to take some thin CA and seal the FG bulkplate edge and then sand them smooth once it's dry.
Assemble the AVbay, file the edge diameter, test fit, pull it out and file some more, test fit, etc.
Simple fix and no stress.
As a sr design engineer, I am liking all of the preparatory design work and forethought you are putting into this. It is literally ticking all my boxes. Very nicely done and looking forward to the end result!