1/2 =SCALE= Terrier Sandhawk build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Ok, I am unveiling (one) of my large projects for LDRS. I am going to build a 9" booster for my 7.5" Sandhawk sustainer. The booster will be 9" in diameter and 6 feet tall. The fins will be 1.5" thick and made up of plywood and foam. There will be room for a 3 grain (possibly 4 grain) O motor.

he sustainer will have a 4 grain 98mm M motor in the sustainer. Perfectflight timer and Xavien FiST will control seperation and sustainter ignition. Arts with GPS, walston, Perfectflight MAWD, and Booster Vision camera will make up the electronics.

Pics will come soon. Need to finish the sustainer and I am working on that this week. The booster will get start to get worked on this week.

Stay tuned!!!!

Ben

Its SPRING BREAK! :D :D :D

Going to the Natural Bridge tomorrow and a drive through zoo. Then its all rockets all week!!!! Going to get some prime on my Sandhawk.

Ben

Up here spring break is next week. BTW, are you driving yet? I thought I saw your dad driving away from the launch. Figured you would have your permit by now.

Ben, don't you have any homework?

Homework? More like "How much crack must you sell to fund these projects?"

Or: "How can you have 15 different projects occurring at once?"

Or: "How did you convince Jerry to give you that Sandhawk?"

Homework? More like "How much crack must you sell to fund these projects?"

Or: "How can you have 15 different projects occurring at once?"

Or: "How did you convince Jerry to give you that Sandhawk?"

non crack

I haven't figured that out

I was at the right place at the right time.

Ben

Up here spring break is next week. BTW, are you driving yet? I thought I saw your dad driving away from the launch. Figured you would have your permit by now.

No that was me driving. I have my permit. Oct22 I get my license :D I drive all the time. I need 50 hours for my learners and I got 8 in when we went to Bayboro Nc.

Ben

Here is a 2D cad drawing of the booster. I sized up my 3 grain O case in the booster. Fits great!!

Ben

half scale terrier.jpg

The reason its not started is because its going to be the longest most complex build of mine so far. So I am getting this booster out of the way, finishing the Cherokee D, and repairing the Saturn V for a possible flight in May. THEN the N1 will be built. I have all the plans and all the 1/4" wood and tubes here. I just need to do it!

patience, patience, patience!!! ETA on the N1 will be after Red Glare

Ben

here is the fin pattern if anyone is curious. I made sure and put plenty of rings in there for strength and to keep the motor in there since there is not tube.

Ben

Terrier fin.jpg

Time to dig this back up! I have made the adaptor. Its going to have a 4.5" motor in it not a 98mm. 4 grain N2300 Wicked White. I built the adaptor to take a Missileworks WRC2 that I will hook 2 quickburst super fatboys too.

The adaptor still needs a bottom thrust plate on it. I took the pictures and as I am typing I thought they were on this computer! Guess not. I am going to fiberglass that top coupler and then come back to post the pictures :p

Expected altitude is around 18k.

Ben

How long is the motor case? Is that tube glassed?

not yet I need to order some more FG. The top 16" of that is still bare.

motor is a standard 36" long 3 grain. 27" of propellant. 34.5" from inside of each snap ring.

Ben

Back