1/2 Scale Composite Patriot Build Thread

COrocket

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
878
Reaction score
52
I had some larger motors in my collection that I'd like to be able to fly locally in Florida, so I set out to build a large diameter rocket that I could launch high thrust full K (maybe depending on final weight), up to small M motors and keep the flights under a mile in altitude. I've always enjoyed flying my Wildman 2.6" Patriot, so going 1/2 scale seemed like a fun project. Right now the plan is to do head end deploy and use the nosecone as the main chute compartment to keep the CG forward. I ordered a bunch of 8" diameter parts from Wildman, including a 52" booster, 25" upper airframe, coupler, 98MM motor mount, rings, and Tim was nice enough to sell me a 3:1 nosecone that I've seen on the Gizmo XL rockets for the scale look. I'll be cutting the fins and avionics bay items from scratch. All I've done so far is clean up the tube ends with sandpaper and give the parts a bath. They look good next to the 2.6" and Estes size Patriot :)
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.40.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.40.56 PM.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

COrocket

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
878
Reaction score
52
While I'm waiting for a sheet of 3/16" G10 to cut the fins, I got some initial work done. The Aeropack retainer is installed with PEM nuts, top centering ring is drilled for a U-Bolt and tacked onto the motor tube, 1" switch band for the nosecone coupler is cut and glued with Aeropoxy, and fin guides are cut out of MDF to align the fins once the booster starts getting glued together.

Next up is installing the middle centering ring and filleting the top ring, cutting the fins, drilling mounts for the rail buttons, and cutting/attaching fins.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

COrocket

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
878
Reaction score
52
Got the sheet of 3/16" G10, so I cut out all four fins and the first two tacked onto the booster using Aeropoxy. Two rail buttons are also drilled and attached using 1/4-20 PEM nuts
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0817.jpeg
    IMG_0817.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

sharkbait

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2013
Messages
733
Reaction score
287
I had some larger motors in my collection that I'd like to be able to fly locally in Florida, so I set out to build a large diameter rocket that I could launch high thrust full K (maybe depending on final weight), up to small M motors and keep the flights under a mile in altitude. I've always enjoyed flying my Wildman 2.6" Patriot, so going 1/2 scale seemed like a fun project. Right now the plan is to do head end deploy and use the nosecone as the main chute compartment to keep the CG forward. I ordered a bunch of 8" diameter parts from Wildman, including a 52" booster, 25" upper airframe, coupler, 98MM motor mount, rings, and Tim was nice enough to sell me a 3:1 nosecone that I've seen on the Gizmo XL rockets for the scale look. I'll be cutting the fins and avionics bay items from scratch. All I've done so far is clean up the tube ends with sandpaper and give the parts a bath. They look good next to the 2.6" and Estes size Patriot :)
With all that airframe, it should only need a minimal amount of nose weight to go conventional DD instead of HED
 

COrocket

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
878
Reaction score
52
Progress has been slow, but trying to get the booster wrapped up soon. I got the internal fillets poured with a slightly thickened Aeropoxy/silica mix, warmed up with a heat gun to help them flow a bit better. Then I got the rear centering ring glued on, and external fin and rear centering ring fillets shaped with a thicker Aeropoxy mix that stays put when shaped so I could do all the fins in one session.
 

Attachments

  • C7C33DC2-9598-455D-B857-1DA95BEF64EE.jpeg
    C7C33DC2-9598-455D-B857-1DA95BEF64EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 75B447CC-4BDC-43D0-8C47-AB11074DB241.jpeg
    75B447CC-4BDC-43D0-8C47-AB11074DB241.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 7F841E4F-D126-40BD-8BB2-A65A6832350D.jpeg
    7F841E4F-D126-40BD-8BB2-A65A6832350D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4A6FFAB9-BB95-4683-9B23-49FACC4848AF.jpeg
    4A6FFAB9-BB95-4683-9B23-49FACC4848AF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Top