1/2 off Rockets at Hobby Lobby, 4/12 - 4/17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just got back from a pair of Hobby Lobb(ies) and need to brag on the loot!

To keep the long story relatively short, I got everything 1/2 off (or better, see below :D )

I went to two stores because the 1st one was out of D engines, save for the D12-3 (and I didn't need any of those.) SADLY, the second one only had D12-0's. :mad:

Anyway here's a "loot list." All rockets are Estes (no Quest this time)

2 x E9-6 (3 packs)
2 x Wadding packs
1 x Outlander
1 x Renegade
1 x Bandito
1 x Firehawk
5 x Baby Bertha
4 x Executioner

Now, here's the kicker(s).

First, the Renegade didn't have a price tag on it. I casually told the lady working the register that it's 8.99, so I got it for half of that ($4.50)

There was one Executioner on the rack mis-marked as $24.99 (it's supposed to be $39.99) So I found three more that were not marked, and got all 4 for half of the marked price ($12.50 each!) I figured for that price, I should grab 'em and use two or three in trade later!

The Baby Berthas were marked at $5.99, so I got them for $3.00 each.

Now I've got to hit a couple different Hobby Lobbies later this week in search of those darn elusive D engines......

Good god Forecheck!!!! you need to go play the lottery or something!! GEEEEEEEZZ, what a steal, I thought I got a good deal because they gave me the engines half off.

My List:

1x Estes Outlander
2x E9-6
1x D12-5
1x C11-7
1x C6-0

I had to practice self control this time, but I'll be back later this week. I get paid on Wed.!!:D

If I find one with a good stash of D12-5's and/or D12-7's, I'm clearing them out.

Went to HL with my wife after work this evening. (Glass beads were also 50% off, so we could both feed our obsessions on the cheap.) Got an Estes Mercury Redstone, an Estes Wizard, and a Quest Superbird, so that'll keep me busy for a little while. :)

Hey there Mr. Forecheck!
Let me guess: Did you catch the game tonight on channel 11?
The new Hobby Lobby in Kirkwood (just opened last month)
is the only one anywhere near my place. I never did find the one over around Mexico road. What other ones are ther in this region without a journey to the East side? If you haven't cleaned the
Kirkwood shelves out, I'll plan a trip over there in the morning!
Dr Don

Originally posted by Dr. Don
Hey there Mr. Forecheck!
Let me guess: Did you catch the game tonight on channel 11?
The new Hobby Lobby in Kirkwood (just opened last month)
is the only one anywhere near my place. I never did find the one over around Mexico road. What other ones are ther in this region without a journey to the East side? If you haven't cleaned the
Kirkwood shelves out, I'll plan a trip over there in the morning!
Dr Don

Hey Doc,

I live in North Texas, about 1 hr northwest of Fort Worth. I grew up in St. Louis, went to college in Rolla, etc.

The Hobby Lobbies I hit are in the North Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

The one in Kirkwood *is* in my old stomping grounds, though (I grew up in Jefferson County, about 10 or 15 minutes past Fenton on Gravois. My grandma lives almost within walking distance of the new Kirkwood Hobby Lobby, and I spent a *lot* of time in that area.)

As far as the game, I follow the Blues on my DirecTV dish and the NHL Center Ice hockey package - I actually get to see more Blues games on TV than most folks within the actual broadcast market.

MIKE SILLINGER HAS A POSSE!!!!!! :p

The hobby lobbies in my area absolutely stink for rockets! Even when they are not 1/2 off they rarely have anything I want in stock. I just don't get it! I think they should stcok the entire estes catolog to start with.,.... they would sell the items and make money I almost garrantee it! What gives?

Originally posted by cpine522
The hobby lobbies in my area absolutely stink for rockets! Even when they are not 1/2 off they rarely have anything I want in stock. I just don't get it! I think they should stcok the entire estes catolog to start with.,.... they would sell the items and make money I almost garrantee it! What gives?

Chris, talk with the manager. Perhaps he just doesn't know there is a demand. :) You've got nothing to lose.

Dr. Don: The hobby lobby you are looking for is located at highway 70 & the Cave Springs exit. If you are traveling west on 70 it will be on the left side of the highway just past the exit on the outer road. It is in a big plaza complex next to a sports authority-it's huge you can't miss!

Hey there Forecheck!
Now I know why you didn't make it to the Rocket club meeting this evening! I checked out the HL in KW and was almost tempted to drop some cash on some really cool LP kits ....
but I just couldn't pull the trigger......Some Quest kits were
really tempting, but I just blew my allowance on a bunch of replacement parts for all the rockets I crashed last Sunday.......
I may consider checking out the St. Charles store before the end of the week to see if they have a better variety.........
Thanks for the directions.......the "map" on the HL website
is a little vague.........Dr Don

Let's see, here is what I bought!
Executioner - $7.49
Baby Bertha - $3 something
Some missile rocket (BT-60 tube) - $5
D12-3
D12-5 motors packs - $5 each!

I was hoping to find some Aerotech kits. The store wanted $20 for E engines!!! Crazy.

-Matthew

You guys getting the 1/2 off on engines are lucky. My local store makes it very clear that the discount only applies to actual rocket kits, not motors and supplies.

Well at first the manager said the discount was only for rocket kits, but then he said the discount does apply... Weird. I envy those of you who are getting those Aerotech kits!!!
-Matthew

Hey Matthew/rocketsonly, welcome to TRF.

Sounds like you got quite a deal yourself-----an Executioner for seven-n-a-half bucks?! They are full-priced at $40 around here, and go for $20 at half price.

Don't feel too bad about missing the deals on AT stuff, this is a very temporary thing. HobLob has discontinued carrying any AT inventory and they are just clearing out leftovers.

My local store won't give me the half off on engines either :-(

But I still came away with a few more kits today.... this time mostly for my kids to build.

Blue Ninja
Cosmic Cobra
Skywriter
Swift
and a Baby Bertha for me for a Mosquito upscale project !

I found 3 packs of D12-5's but my H.L. said the half off does not apply to the engines. They said only for rocket kits & rocket starter sets! Oh well, I still got an Estes 220 swift & a Quest pipsqueak for $4 bucks!

They had free 2004 Estes catalogs! ........Man I haven't had an estes catalog since I was in grade school!

Jeez,

Between engines (when they give 'em to me 1/2 off) and rocket kits at prices too good to pass up, I can't get away from the HL 50% off sale for less than $100. Usually about $150-$200. :eek:

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
They had free 2004 Estes catalogs! ........Man I haven't had an estes catalog since I was in grade school!

Yeah, but have you looked at it closely yet??!!?!?!?

Let me give you my impression as I flip through it from the beginning:

"Seen that before; Lame; Lame; Seen that before; Lame; What's up with the cheapo E2X craptacular stuff? ; Lame; Seen that before; Oh, the Renegade and Outlander look cool; Too bad the V2 doesn't have balsa fins; Seen that before"

:rolleyes:

Thanks, I'm currently doing a science fair project on if the shape of fins effect stability/height of rocket. We have 2 variables, fins shape (semi-circle, square, equilateral triangle, and semi hexagon), and different amounts of thrust ('B' and 'C' engines). Everything is going to be controlled as close as possible, weight, CP CG calibers, everything.

Anways, the project made me do some research about rockets... And wow, I think I'm hooked! I found this one Intiatior starter set at one HL store near by, but they want $189.99!!! with no motors! I'm trying to get started in MP rockets.

As for the Executioner, it didn't have a price tag, so the lady got the manager to check and he said it was $14.99... I knew it was worth around $50 at some online stores.

-Matthew

I agree with you 100%... Most of what my Hobby Lobby carries are these same items... Estes a long time ago turned themsleves into a toy company as far as I am concerned... Thank God for Jim Z!

"Seen that before; Lame; Lame; Seen that before; Lame; What's up with the cheapo E2X craptacular stuff? ; Lame; Seen that before; Oh, the Renegade and Outlander look cool; Too bad the V2 doesn't have balsa fins; Seen that before"

Originally posted by rocketsonly
As for the Executioner, it didn't have a price tag, so the lady got the manager to check and he said it was $14.99...

Matthew, you really ought to go back to that store and see if they have any more of those kits. If they will sell 'em for THAT price (and you can remind them of the price they quoted for you earlier this week) I would buy all I could get. It can't hurt to give it a try?

Originally posted by powderburner
Matthew, you really ought to go back to that store and see if they have any more of those kits. If they will sell 'em for THAT price (and you can remind them of the price they quoted for you earlier this week) I would buy all I could get. It can't hurt to give it a try?

Yep, I nabbed four executioners when I got them for $12.50 apiece due to a mis-mark on the pricing.

You guys are lucky - MY Hobby Lobby has had exactly ONE Executioner since I got back into the hobby (Yeah, I bought it at half price during one of the sales). I wanted a second one, so I went to a neighboring town (about 35 miles away) to a second HL during the last 50% coupon. Found - ONE Executioner. Bought it for my Maxi Alpha clone, but it seems like the HLs around here never get much of a selection in. For example, I've never seen: Alpha, Alpha 3, Nova Payloader, V2, Black Brant. I have found a boatload of Swifts and Quarks (I'm buyin' them for clone pods and such) and Trans-wing gliders (of all things). Ah well, I keep going back and hoping they'll get a decent restock one of these days.

On the other hand, our local Michaels just got in some Alpha 3 starter kits (after a couple years with no rockets at all) and another of the plastic standup pack 3FN rocket starters (don't remember which one). I'm REALLY hoping that they decide to carry rockets again - but I ain't holding my breath!

Greg

I've seen some of the V2's with the vacu-formed fins, but I just wasn't interested (I can't stand that vacu-formed crud!!)

I wish I could come across a stash of Alphas at HL - but I've never seen them there. The ones I've been too seem to have a better selection of Quest kits than Estes.

Back