1/19th V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSquriel

Reaction score
Hello,
Im making a 1/19 scale v2!! Im not gonna use the vacuform fins im gonna use 1/8" lexan (like plexi glass) and im wondering if an E motor would anychance melt that???

Also im going to have chrome v/2 actual chrome does anyone know were i can buy actual chrome spray paint??

Im going to make a american flag nylon chute for it and i was wondering if anyone knows how large it should be thanks!

DaSquriel,

First off welcome to the forum.

Second. The Estes 1/19th V-2 will just barely fly on the E9 if built LIGHT!

With plexiglass fins...forget it...it won't work! REALLY!

Do a search above. Just type in V-2...You can read for DAYS!! what everyone here has tried.

As for silver paint...real chrome paint...I think Jim Flis found some but the price was outrageous!

Regular silver paint from a spray can just plain sucks!

Altough I painted my original Maxi V-2 back in 1975 with silver spray paint and it look OK...not great but just OK. I have since repainted it.

I built mine stock and it's still flys great on D12-3 engines.

The D12 has more "punch" off the line than an E9.

sandman

The V-2 is a tricky rocket to model, since the prototype had a 1000 pound payload in the nose, which helped it fly with the rather small fins, and primitive guidance system.

I built my ESTES 4" V-2 bone stock back in the 1970's. I chose one of the black/white White Sands roll patterns in order to avoid silver paint. I agree with Sandman... silver paint looks like silver paint and never like chrome.

Henway, this beast never flew well enough for my tastes on D12s. A couple of years ago, I re-built the motor mount, modifying it only enough to accept E/F motors. There is no expoxy or fiberglass...no plywood or any other mods to the basic contruction. I did add a 36" NCR nylon parachute (it came in an ESTES parts assortment, and fit the bill nicely.)

I have flown the rocket numerous times on Aerotech F21-6 motors. You need a big field, but this motor seems to be designed just for this rocket.

ummmmmmm does anyone know the dimensions or a template for the v2 fins thanks

Hi Da Squriel,
can you measure or trace the fin from the kit?
or are you building one from scratch?

Originally posted by DaSquriel
Hello,
Im making a 1/19 scale v2!! Im not gonna use the vacuform fins im gonna use 1/8" lexan (like plexi glass) and im wondering if an E motor would anychance melt that???

Also im going to have chrome v/2 actual chrome does anyone know were i can buy actual chrome spray paint??

Im going to make a american flag nylon chute for it and i was wondering if anyone knows how large it should be thanks!

For the chrome, most hobby stores carry this paint that comes in small jars for use with a spray pen. I've seen chrome before, and it does look like chrome. You could also try MonoCoat, I think that's what it's called, but R/C airplance modelers use that stuff to cover the structural skeleton of their planes. I've also seen chrome for that, and it is VERY reflective.
-Matthew

ok well i found out it will be way cheper to convert mt big daddy to a v2 so does abyone know ere i can get the nose cone???

The Big Dady tube is available from Totally Tibular, sorry it's not listed on his site but is available as the T-100 tube.

It is the same price ($7.00 for a 34" length) at the T-101.

The Nose cone you can get by calling Estes @ 800-525-7561x216

sandman

Or get the Big Daddy kit at Michael's (currently being closed out at $12) for 40% off ($7.00) with their coupons.

CTimm

American flag 'chute? I think a Nazi flag would be more appropriate!

Why try converting a rocket into a V2? Shop around and you can get an Estes V2 for less than $30 and fly it on an Aero Tech E30-4T. The E9 is not enough for it. Here a pic of my Estes V2.

Is that the estes 2.6" or the estes 3.9"?? and my whole rocket will be completed at 3" painted and everthing for under 30 bucks!

It's the 3.9" for the E9 engine. Not a great model for that engine. I just like V2's.

American flag 'chute? I think a Nazi flag would be more appropriate!

But VERY politically incorrect!

The U.S. flag would be appropriate...The U.S. did fly about 50 V-2's after the war.

My next V-2 will be one of the University of Michigan aerodynamic test rounds with "Buy Bonds" and the odd shaped experimental nose cones.

I've never seen anyone do one of those.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
But VERY politically incorrect!

Wouldnt it be politically incorrect to fly a V2 with any form of recovery at all? :p

Sounds good

Phil

Back