1/144 Saturn V for PMC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!
Been flying a 3 D12 clustered 144th scale PMC Satrun-V for several years now.
It's a very straight forward conversion with very little problem areas. it's also been flown on 5 C6's with good results.

the Real fun was converting the 144th PMC LEM to fly as well;)
Sorry for the curdy pics they were taken awhile ago:(

Sorry the link in post #3 is dead. You can find the live link at the PMC group in the file section.

I was thinking if one could use parts from a Revell or Airfix Saturn V ( top section) and conbine it with a reduced 1/96 paper model of a Saturn 1b (Bottom section). Could you make a PMC/Paper 1/144 flying Saturn 1b?:rolleyes:

You could call it a FrankenSaturn 1b.

Micro, in that first photo was there something blocking the light or were you using a flash with the shutter speed set incorrectly? I had a WHOLE ROLL of 35mm film come out that way because my shutter speed was not set to 1/60th. Man what a pain that was. :eek:

Just curious.

Micro, in that first photo was there something blocking the light or were you using a flash with the shutter speed set incorrectly? I had a WHOLE ROLL of 35mm film come out that way because my shutter speed was not set to 1/60th. Man what a pain that was. :eek:

Just curious.

Yeap! the whole roll was that way:( Really ticked my off, but didn't notice the setting slip until after finishing the roll. but I still miss my old 35MM.

Likewise. :)

I guess we pre-ordered them..Expected date is 5/12..And if my math is correct this will be a pretty big model, a little over 2.5' tall. :) Wonder if 5 18mm holes will fit in the tube?..wonder, wonder, wonder...:dark:

I guess we pre-ordered them..Expected date is 5/12..And if my math is correct this will be a pretty big model, a little over 2.5' tall. :) Wonder if 5 18mm holes will fit in the tube?..wonder, wonder, wonder...:dark:
Pantherjon the size of the first stage of this modle is around the size of a BT-80 tube. I belive you could get 5, 18mm tubes in there. I lunch one on a 24mm D engine and it reached 150' to 175' in hight. Its not a high flyer because of the WEIGHT. It's still a fun PMC to build.

I'm going to try and make a 1/144 Saturn 1B use a paper model and the Saturn V together.

Panther:
Look at the 2nd Pic in my earlier post, 5 BT-20's work Perfectly! a 5 C6-3's make for a perfect flight. 5- C6-5's allow the model to turn over and start back down before deployment.... Not good on model with this mass;)
Hope this helps.

Panther:
Look at the 2nd Pic in my earlier post, 5 BT-20's work Perfectly! a 5 C6-3's make for a perfect flight. 5- C6-5's allow the model to turn over and start back down before deployment.... Not good on model with this mass;)
Hope this helps.

Very nice! :D Yeah I had kind of skimmed over your pictures the first time:eek:

Also, nice to know to use -3's instead of -5's..Thanks John!

WOW! I FINALLY got what can honestly be said to be a GREAT DEAL!:D Just checked my order status and the page shows it 'IN STOCK' and my shipment is being packed! Pickle me tink and call me Shirley!:roll:

I built the Monogram (now Revell) model back in 1968 and converted it to fly in 1970. The easiest way to convert it is to use BT-60, centering it in the main body. You have to mill off the bayonet attachment tabs at the bottom of the third stage (and their corresponding tab at the top of the interstage), and IIRC you need to mill the ends of each side a bit to get the BT60 through, and to mount some BT60 in the third stage. Get a balsa nose block and use it to mate the third stage to the main body. Add quite a bit of nose weight (I used epoxy and BBs) and clear plastic fins. I used a single Estes D13-3. It always coned a little bit due to the increased nose weight, and could've used a little more liftoff thrust. With 40 years of experience I could probably back off some of the nose weight now. And an Aerotech D13 would probably work a lot better!

You might be able to fit a BT80 in it (again you might have to file or mill down a little bit of plastic here and there) and therefore have space for a proper five motor cluster. a 5-Quest C6-3 cluster should be interesting.

Yeah well I wouldn't be getting too excited....

This WILL be the last time I use Great Models.

Dear Valued Customer,

Our automated system brought to our attention that an item you ordered was priced incorrectly. If this pricing change is very large, we do make the correction and contact the customer to have you look at whether or not to keep this item on order. The price has been changed on your order. The item link is listed below.

No Need to respond to this email if you wish to keep this item on order. It will be shipped when available.

Happy Modeling,
The GreatModels Webstore Staff

Pantherjon and Mikus you did good. You both bought 2 for the price of what one cost today. It's like the stock market. Good luck on your PMC.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this happen. I got the same reply.:( I have always had good service from them. This is the first time this has happen to me.:confused2:

Once again sorry.

Yeah well I wouldn't be getting too excited....

This WILL be the last time I use Great Models.

Dear Valued Customer,

Our automated system brought to our attention that an item you ordered was priced incorrectly. If this pricing change is very large, we do make the correction and contact the customer to have you look at whether or not to keep this item on order. The price has been changed on your order. The item link is listed below.

No Need to respond to this email if you wish to keep this item on order. It will be shipped when available.

Happy Modeling,
The GreatModels Webstore Staff

Noticed that this morning while checking my account this morning..Saw the charge was higher from them..Then checked the order status at GreatModels and saw the increase there..Well, pooh! I still want the models, so will not do anything, but, dang, I thought we had such a good deal going!:bangbang::bangpan:

I have been looking around and I hate to say it but they have the lowest price going for the 1/144 Saturn V.:bang:

I'm starting to feel extorted here. I used Paypal and even though they've already tagged me for $36 bucks they won't ship anything until I pay the rest.

Hello Better Business Bureau.... :mad:

Noticed that this morning while checking my account this morning..Saw the charge was higher from them..Then checked the order status at GreatModels and saw the increase there..Well, pooh! I still want the models, so will not do anything, but, dang, I thought we had such a good deal going!:bangbang::bangpan:

I'm starting to feel extorted here. I used Paypal and even though they've already tagged me for $36 bucks they won't ship anything until I pay the rest.

Hello Better Business Bureau.... :mad:

Some states do have laws against this. Check with your Secretary of State office or equiv.

Well now this gets better and better.

A peek at my order status on the web site shows it now to be cancelled as of 5/13/09.

Yet a peek at my Paypal account show no credit, no reversal of charges. Nothing. :mad:

Man I hope you guys have better luck than I....:bangbang:

Well, FINALLY received my order this afternoon!:shock:I was kind of getting antsy that it wasn't going to show up..But, UPS guy dropped it off in good shape..

Thought I would share what the goods looks like;
Pic 1 both top and bottom of the box
Pic 2 the 2 different sides
Pic 3 the parts - got a few 'rogue' parts that detached from the tree and escaped the baggies..Also, in this box at least, one of the 'hold down' plastic bits has been broken off the yellow display stand...

This should be an interesting PMC build, my first undertaking of one:eek:! Wish me luck!..LOL...Any interest in me starting a build thread on this?

Saturn V PMC 001.jpg

Saturn V PMC 002.jpg

Saturn V PMC 003.jpg

Gag! They are still promulgating the 500F S-IC paint pattern! (vertical and horizontal bands on the intertank stringers) Wonder if they are still using photos from the old box.

I belive a build thread is in order here. I have done 2 PMC of this model and it has been some time ago. I built them with out the F-1 engine on during flight. This time I would like to leave the engine on for launch. I would like to do a build thread but I am in the meddle of moving and don't have the time:mad: so please by all means pantherjon.

Look around just about ever model or toy of the Saturn V has the 500F paint pattern. That's no problem to change. Yes those are old photos from the old box. :confused2:

When it comes to the Saturn V I will take what I can get.:)

Speaking of Revell, 500F paint patterns, and PMC, has anyone ever flight converted the 1/96 Revell Saturn V?

I've had one for a few years and still haven't built it yet.

Speaking of Revell, 500F paint patterns, and PMC, has anyone ever flight converted the 1/96 Revell Saturn V?

I have worked off and on for a couple years trying to build and convert this model(1/96 scale Saturn V) for flight. It's a HEAVY model. I have not messed with 29mm engine that much. I'm sure it will take a 29mm engine to lift this model.

Back