• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

xx 1/13 Scale Mercury Redstone capsule (fits 5.5" tube)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
Well, I've finally come to realize that my overly ambitious self tried once again to outwit my practical self in regards to the 1/13 scale Mercury Redstone L2 project I've been laying awake at night planning.

What I have thus far, is the entire nose section, and nothing more.

Mercury Redstone.jpg

This is 3D printed from the Thingiverse file, located at: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285664.

Here's an "expanded" view of what I've printed.

Capsule parts.jpg

In the photo above, the capsule nose and LES are glued together (and the white superglue fogging seen at the juncture of the capsule nose and base of the tower has been colored in with magic markers so as to not be as glaringly visible), but nothing else is glued (the red trim ring has not been glued to the shoulder, and the AVBay tube (white tube), tube support ring (black ring at base of tube) and "capsule floor" (white PETG printed disk looking part to the left of the LES).

When assembled for flight, the parts stack together and are held together with a length of threaded rod that goes from the base of the capsule nose, through the AVBay, through a hole in the bottom of the capsule floor and secured with a nut, thus holding it all together for flight.

Member "Spacemo" here on TRF posted in my thread "The Adventure Begins" a couple pics of his Mercury Redstone and his nose-weight solution. I did sim this up in Open Rocket and OR says it'll need about 2.5 lbs of weight in the nose to get 1-cal of stability...that's with a Loki L1400 (of note, OR says , 5,294 ft and Mach .90...I don't think the LES could withstand that flight though). Other motor combos show 1-cal of stability and more realistic altitudes and speeds.) Also of note, Spacemo stated that if flown with the LES tower, the tower will break on landing so should be considered expendable. It's easy to print the tower and pieces so should you or anyone decide to take this project on, be prepared to have a "display" tower assembly and one for flight that you won't be to tore up about chucking in the trash at the end of the day at the launch field.

My Open Rocket file is also attached. It "looks" like a Mercury Redstone, though some of the capsule parts measurements might be off a bit, their weights are over-ridden and weights calculated from the 3D printer slicer "Cura" for the individual parts are subbed in. The .ORK file shows my putting a 2.5lb weight in the AVBay for balance, but Spacemo's way of adding washers to the base of the capsule floor would probably be a better and more secure idea. The fins are sized from NASA measurements and are close, as OR won't let you get more than a couple decimal points deep, so they are rounded up to (I think) two decimal points and then adjusted here and there for straightness and squareness. Perfect? No. Close? Yes.

The OR file shows a long motor mount. I did that to reduce the volume of the airframe for motor ejection. The airframe in my .ORK has a (poorly) rendered baffle/coupler to join the lower and upper airframe tubes (making this a nose popper) and a 5.54" with a 3.9" hole centering ring above the baffle to be used as a "laundry shelf" to keep the packed parachute above and away from the baffle. It seemed like a practical solution to keep the 'chute further up towards the nose for balance purposes.

So, with that all out of the way, you are probably thinking "Just how much money does Jon want for this stuff?" Well I'm thinking since it ain't perfect (but it passes the 10' rule) and it was a learning experience, then I don't really want to charge a lot for it. I have (including mistakes) a roll of black PLA, about 1/2 roll of red PLA, about a half roll of white PLA and a few meters of white PETG...I'd be willing to let it go for $100 shipped.

So, there it is. $100 gets you what is in the photos above. If it doesn't sell, it'll go on display at my office where I can regale my co-workers of my lofty plan to one day build this 1/13 stand-off scale, 11lb tribute to Lawrence County Indiana's own native son and the second US Astronaut into space at the beginning of the then fledgling US space program.

Attachments

• 5.5 Inch Mercury Redstone.ork
    648.6 KB · Views: 23
Well, it's gone. Not to a buyer, but to the landfill. I was being a pissy little brat and threw it out of the closet it was in and broke it. Then in my pissy little rage, I threw it (not gently) into the trashcan, then not long afterwards took the trash to the dumpster.

Then I apologized to my wife for being a pissy little brat.

So, I guess we can close this thread.

Rage doesnt respect rockets, that why i keep mine in the corner of a room i rarely go in lol 😬 its ok, the redstone kit has funny looking fins anyways.

Oh well,
Me thinks the tower base should have been press fit to the nosecone to be removable for flight. I've been told the towers of these things are prone to break unless a harness was rigged so the capsule came down "nose up" under chute.
There would be more force on the tower if the capsule had to carry any balance nose weight. Looks like it was a beautiful effort though and sorry about the loss. I bet someone would have got it flying on a scale Redstone or the more difficult Atlas.
Kurt Savegnago

I need to find a 1/12 scale version for my live steam trains... Would make a cool flatcar load :)

Thanks for the comments. I'll print another one sometime...that's the beauty of 3D printing, right?

I guess it was a good structural test though. I mean, if it did what it did free falling from 6-feet, I can't really imagine what would happen at 17ft/sec with ~2.5lbs of balance weight in/on the capsule. 🤪

Last edited:
Jonathan, sorry to hear about the loss. I printed the same as yours and then one to fit LOC 7.5" tube. built my tower out of brass and that was the nose weight needed. I do have a harness for recovery so it will come down base first. Planning in using the smaller on an Atlas. I used Pro PLA as filament. Fire up that printer again. Good luck.

Attachments

• Resized_20210510_134257001.jpeg
    Resized_20210510_134257001.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 60
Jonathan, sorry to hear about the loss. I printed the same as yours and then one to fit LOC 7.5" tube. built my tower out of brass and that was the nose weight needed. I do have a harness for recovery so it will come down base first. Planning in using the smaller on an Atlas. I used Pro PLA as filament. Fire up that printer again. Good luck.

Thanks David. I really think this and the Big Saturn V are both "retirement projects" that will be on the back burner until after 1 June 2024 (when I retire from the US Army) and get our "forever home" (wherever that ends up being...) and we have the space needed for projects of this size.

I will print up another one for display at work though. It's too cool not to.

No recovery vid on that flight? Is it still up there???lol
It's a sad, sad, sad story.... My last flight of the day my video camera that was held on with heavy duty Velcro and taped worked great for all the great flights I had. The footage of the MR with that sparky Dark Matter was cool... Unfortunately after recovering my LOC Goblin I went to turn off the video to discover " What the Heck!!!, Frack!!!,. no video camera. So no more footage... Here is a photo that it did return, lol..
20210508_113559.jpg

And had to love the 3 Rocketman Apollo chutes...20210508_113538.jpg

Anybody want to print me a 5.5" version of this? I'd pay good money. The $100 plus shipping without a question. And there are ways to fly it even if it is a bit fragile.

Brad

Oh well,
Me thinks the tower base should have been press fit to the nosecone to be removable for flight. I've been told the towers of these things are prone to break unless a harness was rigged so the capsule came down "nose up" under chute.
There would be more force on the tower if the capsule had to carry any balance nose weight. Looks like it was a beautiful effort though and sorry about the loss. I bet someone would have got it flying on a scale Redstone or the more difficult Atlas.
Kurt Savegnago
I have a SHR Redstone with the tower rigged with a harness to land flat. It worked for many flights over several years until the chute failed to open fully and the tower landed head first. Sh!t happens. A removeable tower is the best alternative for this or any of the Apollo models.

Back