3D Printing 1/100th scale Saturn V wraps - Has anyone 3D printed these?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You could try the designer bumper1b on ShapeWays, a commercial 3D printing company, but their stuff is very expensive and doesn't wrap-around, but is one cylindrical piece.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I bought all kinds of parts from them to build my 1/48th Saturn V. The spacecraft section alone without the SM tube ran over $550.00

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone here created the wraps as shown on the Apogee website here (https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Wraps/Saturn_V_VacForm_3rd_Stage_Wraps)
but instead of vacuum-forming them, has anyone 3D printed them?
I had tried this ~eight years ago - one of the first things I did with my printer. FDM with a base layer thin enough to be flexible. It was barely on the edge of usability. (some would say the wrong side of the edge) I think I was looking at 1/100 scale. It might work out today with better methods at a larger scale.

I was thinking of trying rigid panels with SLA printing, but they would necessarily be small and would have to be pieced together.

Ralph M Bohm

Reaction score
Shapeways is just way too expensive. I will try to design the items with Fusion 360 but really need to do some research to get the right detail copied. So, now I am searching for information on the inter-stage shrouds and intertank areas.