NARCON Goddard L-13 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
Jim Flis asked me if I would build his two Goddard kits as display models to be given to Mott Linn the Clark University Archivist and Keynote speaker at NARCON. Of coarse I said yes.

The L-13 is a more conventional rocket compared to his first rocket. I didn't realize how complicated the painting would be until I saw the Peter Alway scale drawing (see below) .
Jim gave me the kit with minimal instructions. Mostly just measurements with some templates and drawings as guides.

I mentioned to Jim that I wanted to build it more to scale than the kit. He suggested to be more scale to use a BT-5 for the motor tube.
He said he could provide me with a new shroud but didn't have the centering rings. I told him no problem. I can cut the centering rings and make the shroud. Made the centering ring and shroud patterns using Payload Bay.

First the nice nose cone.
Next the BTs glued together, spirals filled with shroud and fins. The balsa for the fins that comes with the kit is 1/8" which is too thick for the scale so I went with 1/16" balsa. The fins are papered with label paper wrapped around the leading edge.
Last with nose cone and fins attached.

Goddard L13.gif

L13 nc sm.jpg

L13 bt&fins sm.jpg

L13 all together sm.jpg

Last edited:
Next are the detail parts. These parts will all be painted separately and attach after.

The launch rails. I used styrene for the base of the rails instead of the 1/16" balsa that comes with the kit.
The blast and air vanes that are at the base of the rocket. These are not part of the kit. Jim included templates for cutting them out of scrap body tubes. I made the frames for the vanes out of bass wood and dowels.
I also made the small round parts (I don't know what the are) from dowels.

L13 rails2 sm.jpg

L13 cut vanes sm.jpg

L13 vanes2 sm.jpg

L13 detail sm.jpg

In the picture that is in Peter Alway's Retro Rockets book (along with the drawing in the first post) you can see a band around the air frame. I used 110 card stock to represent this, also not part of the kit.
The pdf is a larger file of the picture scan.
The whole model with the vanes temporarily attached and close up.
As of today everything has it's first coat of primer.
Painting will take a couple of weeks to complete.
Will keep you up dated.

L13.jpg

View attachment L13.pdf

L13 wrap sm.jpg

L13 with vanes sm.jpg

L13 vanes close up sm.jpg

Really outstanding work, Tony. Fantastic job on the vanes!

Steve

Great work Tony! :)

I will be including some information on the vanes in the kit so that if someone wants to model them they could, but if you do you would want (need?) to recover the body sideways so an external shock line...

Can't wait to see this thing painted! :)

Really outstanding work, Tony. Fantastic job on the vanes!

Steve
Thanks Steve. :eek:
The vanes really weren't that hard to do.
Great work Tony! :)

I will be including some information on the vanes in the kit so that if someone wants to model them they could, but if you do you would want (need?) to recover the body sideways so an external shock line...

Can't wait to see this thing painted! :)
Thanks Jim.
When I build my kit I'll make the vanes for display only and removable for flight. :)

Should get the second coat of primer on tomorrow and the first color coat on Sunday.

OK... just for Jim, some pics. :)

All silver, masked areas on the other side.
Masked and ready for the steal paint.
Painted steal.
See I told you not much to see. ;)

Unfortunately even after some testing I had some paint reaction with the steal. Will have to do some sanding and repainting. :rolleyes:

L13 silver sm.jpg

L13 masked sm.jpg

L13 steal sm.jpg

OK... just for Jim, some pics. :)

All silver, masked areas on the other side.
Masked and ready for the steal paint.
Painted steal.
See I told you not much to see. ;)

Unfortunately even after some testing I had some paint reaction with the steal. Will have to do some sanding and repainting. :rolleyes:

thenkew... :)

Got the nose cone painted aluminum today.
Tomorrow it will get unmasked and sprayed with clear matt.
The vanes and rails are all painted and ready to be attached.
I should have it done this week. :)

L13 nc painted sm.jpg

L13 details_painted sm.jpg

All the painting is done! :D
I think it came out pretty good. There are a couple small imperfections but if I don't point them out I don't think anyone would notice. :)

L13 paint1 sm.jpg

L13 paint2 sm.jpg

L13 paint3 sm.jpg

L13 paint4 sm.jpg

L13 paint5 sm.jpg

Excellent job! I was looking this one over, and wondering how the heck to paint with different metallic finishes. I've never managed to get a decent metallic to survive a mask job. Maybe I do need to look into extremely long cure times, maybe even low temp baking overnight.

--Chan Stevens

Tony, this is simply wonderful!

I love the various silver tones that you got into the finish. tough to do and be consistent. You know... ...you could hold a class on just *that* technique :)

jim

All the painting is done! :D
I think it came out pretty good. There are a couple small imperfections but if I don't point them out I don't think anyone would notice. :)

Goddard's work wasn't perfect either. Those are scale imperfections.

Excellent job! I was looking this one over, and wondering how the heck to paint with different metallic finishes. I've never managed to get a decent metallic to survive a mask job. Maybe I do need to look into extremely long cure times, maybe even low temp baking overnight.

--Chan Stevens
Thanks Chan.

For the metallic paints I used Krylon silver and Model Master Metalizer Lacquer Stainless Steal and Aluminum Plate (both a Buffing Metalizer). These paints are meant to be buffed after about an hour. I had never seen these paints before and they were the only ones I found that were the colors I was looking for. These paints are NOT cheap at almost $6 for a 3 oz. can. :eek:
The only problems I had was from spraying it on to heavy. :rolleyes:
Before I sprayed on the clear (Krylon Acylic flat) the aluminum and silver looked the same. But after there was a difference, which I was hoping for. :)

That, sir, is a gorgeous looking model. Well done! :clap:
Thanks. :)
Tony, this is simply wonderful!

I love the various silver tones that you got into the finish. tough to do and be consistent. You know... ...you could hold a class on just *that* technique :)

jim
Thanks Jim.
I think it was more about getting the right paint.
Goddard's work wasn't perfect either. Those are scale imperfections.
Yeah... that's the ticket.

The L-13 is finished! :D
I'm very happy with the way this one came out.
The vanes look great! :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to take any pictures until this weekend.

Back