[Restricted] Research area?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well then i just need money to get L2 :p

but i'd also guess some sort of reason to be in there, though imma wait til an official posting is made :O

Well, technically anybody can make an EX motor, at any time. But you must be L2 to fly it no matter how big it is. Just ask Ben. He's 17, and he's made O motors on down. Only reason they could be flown is because his dad is L3.

Braden

Well, technically anybody can make an EX motor, at any time. But you must be L2 to fly it no matter how big it is. Just ask Ben. He's 17, and he's made O motors on down. Only reason they could be flown is because his dad is L3.

Braden

Does that mean only his dad can log onto that thread?

"The Research forum is specifically designed as a place for open discussion of techniques, forumlas, process, etc. Anything related to safely designing and making your own motors, as supports by Tripoli's Research Safety Code.

Please note that the administrators of this forum will remove any content advocating unsafe or illegal practices.

Access is permitted only to US Senior members of NAR or Tripoli, who are HPR certified.

-Kevin"

I am looking forward to the interaction there !

Hopefully someone who REALLY understands ITAR will be in charge of this so the entire site is not shut down as a result of any export law violations.

I don't understand. Someone please tell me what is going on?

Discussion of research motors and formulae for propellants has always (at least since I BAR'd) been strictly prohibited.

Until apparently... well, soon. ;)

Thanks for the response. I have no interest, so I guess my TRF experience won't change? Looks like the "special section" is only there for those wanting to discuss things like that?

Thanks for the response. I have no interest, so I guess my TRF experience won't change? Looks like the "special section" is only there for those wanting to discuss things like that?

Exactly.

-Kevin

In limiting it to Americans, what are you afraid a foreigner might learn, or are you just frightened of your own government?
Iv'e mentioned elsewhere that there's not much you can keep from a country that's been in the rocket business, in its own way, for as long as the US has.
Not a political comment, just a point about the free exchange of ideas which is what this place used to be about but apparently isn't any more.

spacecadet said:
In limiting it to Americans, what are you afraid a foreigner might learn, or are you just frightened of your own government?.

To be quite honest, it's due to caution around stupid US regulations.

-Kevin (who has lots of non-US rocketry friends )

In limiting it to Americans, what are you afraid a foreigner might learn, or are you just frightened of your own government?
Iv'e mentioned elsewhere that there's not much you can keep from a country that's been in the rocket business, in its own way, for as long as the US has.
Not a political comment, just a point about the free exchange of ideas which is what this place used to be about but apparently isn't any more.

true that you can pretty easily google motor forumlas from anywhere on earth, but discussing it w/people outside the US is a dicey issue, and the government seems to have a problem with it.

It's not you, its us. Specifically, as you suspected, U.S.

ITAR regulates what technology information can and cannot be "exported" and it is a rat's nest of regulations that few understand completely. As I understand it, there are a few folk here who deal with ITAR and because of of it's complexity, and because of the frighteningly large penalties (financial and criminal?) imposed by our government, it is safer to limit the discussion domestically than to risk running afoul of our own bureaucrats.

Again, this is not my area of expertise, nor is it my decision to make, but this is how I, as a non-expert, understand what is going on.

Most every nation can accept this bit of wisdom...

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
:D

Back