WILDMAN/CRAZY JIM Flying circus launching 27ft "MEGA" DarkStar at LDRS....."O" my!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
The cats out of the bag:

So........AWAY we go!

Today it begins! 27ft tall, 12inch diameter Mega Darkstar build.

To fly on CTI 8.5 second burn Skidmark O motor and 3 54mm. Courtesy of Anthony and Jeroen of CTI.

Courtesy of Jeroen from R-das[for those that don't know he's also from AED makers of R-das] it will contain a full load R-das Tiny's, GPS and live telemtry streaming to a laptop during flight.

The 12in. Airframe and Von Karmen nose cone are being made by Curtis of Performance Rocketry.

Mark of Stickershock is doing the giant upscale decals, which will be awesome as is all of his work.

Skyangle has made the required chute for the MEGA.

And Wolfstar/Don Ball has done all the preliminary scale drawings and upscaled the decals for us.

Greg Grebecki is making the Carbon plate/foam core fins.

We will be launching this on the 'O' motor Skidmark in memory of Paul Robinson, who passed away last year. Paul of AMW fame brought skidmark motors into the limelight of rocketry events with his M-2200 . He was a dear friend who was revered by many, and missed by all of us who knew him.

So for your viewing pleasure it now begins! In true Wildman fashion just weeks before the launch.

Picture 7.png

Last edited:
...that's really awesome! So glad I'm gonna make the launch and be able to see this. Paul was a great guy, got me through my L3. Glad to see someone doing something like this.

Best of luck!!

Ben

Very nice, Jim! Should be a really cool flight.

Looking at the pictures, I was waiting for Tim to make centering rings the hard way. He was redeemed when I saw the router.

-Kevin

Well Decals have now been pass off to Mark, Darkstar decal is like 6 feet long and 8" high, thats bigger than normal DarkStar is, hahahahaha

Proud to help all I can, just wished I could go to LDSR this year to see this beast fly!
The picture below shows the standard DarkStar between the to sides view, just a baby!

Large DarkStar.jpg

Looks like you'll have the 2nd largest one Scott! I remember helping you with your L-1 at Bong. Are you ready to help build an O motor? LOL

You going to LDRS?

I helped open the boxes for a big N sparky once, does that qualify me? :roll:

LDRS? Sounds like it might be an interesting vacation.

Jim,
As you well know, I am known throughout the land for my expertise in rocket recovery systems.
It is with these credentials that I come to share my vast knowledge in this matter of great importance.
Call me if you need my help. :shock:

Cheers,

Greg (Quick-Link) Trovillion

Jim,
As you well know, I am known throughout the land for my expertise in rocket recovery systems.
It is with these credentials that I come to share my vast knowledge in this matter of great importance.
Call me if you need my help. :shock:

Cheers,

Greg (Quick-Link) Trovillion

Mr Trovillion as much as we would love to take advantage of your years of experience, schooling , advanced training and world wide fame,..... several hours of debate ensued, at which point it was decided:

We really don't think the funding will allow us to afford the vast amounts of cash and "magic kingdom tickets" needed to take advantage of your genius or endeavors in our project.

There were other matters under consideration,but at this moment I can't quite put "my fingers on them'' as I imagine nor can/could you!

Not only can we NOT afford you, we also CANNOT afford the consequences any affiliation you have with this project may incur.

That being said, next time I decide to launch a water balloon, I will definitely keep your astute skills as a "recovery Expert extraordinaire" in mind. Especially if a ballistic avenue is required.

Thank you for your kind offer.

Semper fly.
Jim H Phd, pizza boy and chief cook and bottle washer

Ps Stunt rocket photo reminder below of Mr Trovillions last involvement in a "textbook" recovery.

:jaw::jaw:

100_2796.jpg

Last edited:
Todays report:

More mundane but necessary drudgery. Could not find forged eye bolts so decision was made to weld some.
I did move the 1 gallon container of nitro methane airplane fuel that was at Tim's feet under the vise, before any sparks hit it and the 2 lbs of black powder. [Note: photo was taken with telephoto lens from a steel re-inforced concrete bunker 100 yards away]

The epoxied bulkplate units and freshly welded bolts for the Av-bay.

Taking a break from this and the several other projects underway, on the Av-bay/barstool. [3in. bay in my hand for scale]

100_4855.jpg

100_4867.jpg

100_4875.jpg

100_4873.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa....Stop the presses!

I was just contacted by Viperfixr [Mark Rose] currently stationed at Kandahar Afghanistan.

He is sending the American Flag flown over the airfield and possibly[if time permits] in planes flown in couple of missions.

He would like us to fly it in the Mega, possibly having it unfurl on the shockcord during deployment.

How cool is THAT.

Just hoping he can get it to us in time.

Please remember all our fine troops protecting our freedoms in your thoughts and prayers.

Components being re-cycled from previous flown av-bay to use in this one.

3/8 threaded rods with stainless re-enforcing diamond shaped plates. Go on inside of BP's to spread stress.

Kevlar strap holding steel tube to sled sides.

Birch ply sled with 2 layers of 6oz on each side

2 3/8 eye bolts will be on each end of bay with connecting Y harnesses.

100_4865.jpg

100_4878.jpg

Does this mean I need to rename my darkstar and add a "Jr." at the end??

Are the diamond plates used in place of fender washers, or...?

-Kevin

Mr Trovillion as much as we would love to take advantage of your years of experience, schooling , advanced training and world wide fame,..... several hours of debate ensued, at which point it was decided:

We really don't think the funding will allow us to afford the vast amounts of cash and "magic kingdom tickets" needed to take advantage of your genius or endeavors in our project.

There were other matters under consideration,but at this moment I can't quite put "my fingers on them'' as I imagine nor can/could you!

Not only can we NOT afford you, we also CANNOT afford the consequences any affiliation you have with this project may incur.

That being said, next time I decide to launch a water balloon, I will definitely keep your astute skills as a "recovery Expert extraordinaire" in mind. Especially if a ballistic avenue is required.

Thank you for your kind offer.

Semper fly.
Jim H Phd, pizza boy and chief cook and bottle washer

Ps Stunt rocket photo reminder below of Mr Trovillions last involvement in a "textbook" recovery.

:jaw::jaw:

Jeez, Just trying to help. :confused2:

Components being re-cycled from previous flown av-bay to use in this one.

3/8 threaded rods with stainless re-enforcing diamond shaped plates. Go on inside of BP's to spread stress.

Kevlar strap holding steel tube to sled sides.

Birch ply sled with 2 layers of 6oz on each side

2 3/8 eye bolts will be on each end of bay with connecting Y harnesses.
Hey Jim
How bout some technical data.
What do the sims show for altitude?
How much bp do you plan on using?
Do you think you will have time to ground test?
How many beverages will be consumed in this build?
Best of luck to you and Tim.
Should be spectacular and make for some good TV.
Any chance the Discovery Channel will have the Myth Busters guys at the launch?

Hey Jim
How bout some technical data.
What do the sims show for altitude?
How much bp do you plan on using?
Do you think you will have time to ground test?
How many beverages will be consumed in this build?
Best of luck to you and Tim.

Can't do the sims till all the parts arrive and are weighed.
Yes we will ground test, with a different but similar NC.
The rocket will consist of 4 tubes & a NC
The sections will all bolt together so we can transport them in the Wildman trailer.
Bottom tube will have the fins. 2nd tube will bolt to it completing the fincan.
Coupler/av-bay will be attached to the 3rd tube.
Where the 4th tube is connected via coupler and bolts, there will be a bulkplate to reduce the internal volume size needed to be pressurized and hold the chute.
Followed by the NC.

To summarize the fincan will consist of 2 tubes
The payload section will be 2 tubes, in the bottom of the payload section will be the av-bay coupler, at the top the NC, in the middle a BP to divide the payload in half and reduce the amount of bp required to eject the 17ft chute.
As far as beverage consumption, a Budweiser delivery truck will be on 24hr stand by.lol

Thank you

Yes great TV.

No idea about the MB's

As this build continues I will post pics and specs as it goes, along with the 2 others going on. My flying nosecone in the "Sweet 16" race . 6in rockets on a J. And another Ultimate Wildman for the N-10000 race.
Gee I wonder if this is a forum record. 3 major builds all at once in under 3 weeks?

First of the airframe tubes arrived today, thanks to Curtis at Performance Rocketry. He is also making the Von Karmen nose cone. Can't wait to see that.

The unboxing. Tim has a nice grin.

Me with the Airframe.

100_4886.jpg

100_4887.jpg

Just kidding, that was the motor mount.

Here is the real airframe & motor mount.

The rings....big un's

Not enough wood to put tubes in for the 54's. They will just slide in the rings.

Things should really start to pick up and get interesting.

The carbon plate fins and more tubes and parts will get here tomorrow.

The av-bay will be going full tilt also.

Had to hold off for the Discovery Channel film crew. They will be here Thursday and wanted to get shots of the beginning for the show After that it's full steam ahead!

This will be built just like any other rocket. Even going to inject the fins, though Tim wanted to use wire ties and foam. LOL

The decals from Sticker Shock [Mark Hayes] arrived today. Talk about speedy service, and they look fantastic!

The fins are larger than the slots, they have tabs or the coupler for the 2nd tube of the fin can wouldn't fit without slotting the coupler and jeopardizing the integrity of the airframe.

100_4889.jpg

100_4890.jpg

100_4893.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jim

As a matter of fact I talked to Iva today from the production company about who was going to be hosting and doing some of the interviews. It WILL be one of the Mythbusters.
Sorry I can't remember her name, it's the redhead who is a regular on the show. How did you know about it?

By the way it should air sometime in July.

Back