Double Pumper scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Here is the build thread I promised for my scratch built Double Pumper. I had ordered a 3" 2x24mm cluster motor mount from Mercury Engineering when I ordered my Hijacker, with the intent of building the Hijacker as a cluster instead of the single 29mm mount. I decided to build the Hijacker with the 29mm mount, though, and use the cluster mount in something else. I decided to build a scratch cluster rocket, and ordered a nose cone and 3" x 17" body tube from Mercury. I based the fins on the Quest Astra, and added tabs for through the wall mounting. I used two-part epoxy throughout the build, except for the external fin fillets. For those I used Titebond Molding & Trim Glue.

I assembled the cluster motor mount per the included instructions, but didn't epoxy the rear centering ring, which would be epoxied in later in the build. I did put the rear ring on the motor tubes while the epoxy set on the front ring, to be sure the tubes would be correctly aligned. I also added a small eye bolt to the top ring for the shock cord mount. I liberally slathered the nut and washer, and the area around them, with epoxy for strength, and so that the nut couldn't come loose.

I created a fin wrap guide at Payloadbay.com for the fin positions on the body tube, and cut out the slots. After cutting the 1/8" plywood fins with my bandsaw, and sanding the edges with my stationary belt sander, I epoxied them to the body tube with my homemade fin alignment guide. The thread on the guide can be seen here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9859&highlight=alignment+guide

double_pumper_build1.jpg

double_pumper_build2.jpg

double_pumper_build3.jpg

double_pumper_build4.jpg

double_pumper_build5.jpg

I left the rear motor mount centering ring off, so I could put internal epoxy fillets on the fin tabs. When I epoxied the front centering ring in the body tube, I put the rear ring in place to make sure the motor mount would be aligned. After the epoxy set, I removed the rear ring, and applied an epoxy fillet to the front ring. After the fins had been epoxied on and set, I applied internal fillets to the tabs, and epoxied the tabs where they contacted the motor tubes.

double_pumper_build6.jpg

double_pumper_build7.jpg

double_pumper_build8.jpg

double_pumper_build9.jpg

double_pumper_build10.jpg

Here you can see the motor tubes and fin tabs. You can also see that I cut the short tab too short, so I scabbed in a small piece of basswood. Probably not necessary, but I wanted the large fins to be strong.

You can also see that I forgot to attach the Kevlar to the eye bolt before I epoxied the motor mount into the body tube. Oops! Using a clip-on flashlight and some thin wire, I snaked the Kevlar through the eye bolt. I used a double length of 1/8" braided tubular Kevlar. I like this Kevlar because it's soft and thick, and hopefully will be less prone to zippering.

double_pumper_build11.jpg

double_pumper_build12.jpg

double_pumper_build13.jpg

double_pumper_build14.jpg

I usually take more photos than this, but didn't this time, for some reason. Somewhere along the line, I applied external fin fillets with Titebond Trim Glue, epoxied on a 3" long 1/4" launch lug (with the top of the launch lug even with the top of the fins), and epoxied the rear centering ring in place. I primered the entire rocket with white primer, then painted the nose cone red, and the places on the rocket where the red stripes would be. I masked for the stripes, re-primered it, and painted on the gold. Turned out very sharp, if I do say so myself!

double_pumper_build15.jpg

double_pumper_build16.jpg

Attachments

• double_pumper1.jpg
    double_pumper1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 25
  • double_pumper2.jpg
    double_pumper2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 25
I made a 24", 8 shroud line hexagonal parachute out of a 1.5 mil red garbage bag.

parachute.jpg

Its first flight was on two D12-5's, and was a great success. This turned out to be a sweet looking and flying rocket. Can't wait to see how it does on E9's or bigger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_PQrzQznIc

Attachments

• double_pumper5.jpg
    double_pumper5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 23
  • double_pumper7.jpg
    double_pumper7.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 26
  • double_pumper13.jpg
    double_pumper13.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 24
  • double_pumper16.JPG
    double_pumper16.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 24
I like it a lot. Very classic lines and the paint job, very nice.:clap:

Man, that really looks nice. I dig the gold, it looks like it finished well. What brand of paint was that? I'm thinking gold and black may be on a future rocket of mine.

Congrats on the successful flight,
Chevis

Man, that really looks nice. I dig the gold, it looks like it finished well. What brand of paint was that? I'm thinking gold and black may be on a future rocket of mine.

Congrats on the successful flight,
Chevis

Thanks for the compliment! I believe the paint I used was Rustoleum. If you're going to use black, I highly recommend Rustoleum's 2X Painters Touch. Man, that black covers nice!

I got to fly the Double Pumper again yesterday, at the SARG launch. It was a drag race between my Double Pumper and Kit's Lupara (Double Pumper Jr.) Both rockets flew on pairs of D12-5's. It was a lot of fun!

IMGP8319edit.jpg

IMGP8320edit1.jpg

IMGP8321.JPG

IMGP8325edit.jpg

Latest posts

Back