Swivel clasps for parachutes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding snap swivels big enough for 30" and 36" nylon parachutes with eight shroud lines. Would a swivel clasp like this work? It's actually off a keychain.

clasp1.jpg

I'm having trouble finding snap swivels big enough for 30" and 36" nylon parachutes with eight shroud lines. Would a swivel clasp like this work? It's actually off a keychain.

The keychain hook isn't designed to carry a load, so I'd be concerned about it giving out during deployment.

Look in the section of your hardware or home improvement store where chains and ropes are sold. Nearby you'll find large swivels and quick links. Use a quick link and a swivel together in place of a snap swivel.

-- Roger

Look for a real Western Supply Store. Maybe there are some horse harness swivels that might suit your needs.

I've been using Plain old #2 terminal tackle with my 30-40" Hemi chutes without any problem. With thicker nylon or kevlar shroud lines I've sometimes opened the eye a half turn with a pin and needlenose pliers.

I've been using Plain old #2 terminal tackle with my 30-40" Hemi chutes without any problem. With thicker nylon or kevlar shroud lines I've sometimes opened the eye a half turn with a pin and needlenose pliers.

Ooops .. I was thinking of a larger parachute/rocket in my earlier reply. After posting the message, I realized that a standard snap swivel would probably work.

But ... for larger rockets, quick links and swivels are the answer. BTW, the selection is limited, but quick links are much cheaper at Wal-Mart than anywhere else that I've seen them. I usually pick up a few every time I have to endure going into that place.

-- Roger

McMaster Carr has way better prices on Quick Links than Wal-Mart.

The last time I compared prices, the two-pack at Wal-Mart was about the same price as two single Quick Links from McMaster-Carr - without having to pay shipping. But shopping online at McMaster is certainly more enjoyable!

-- Roger

The rocket only weighs 16 ounces, and with a 4ft long elastic shock cord, I can't imagine it would put very much force on the clasp. I did find this at OSH, I think it'll work.

swivel_clip.jpg

Another question. Is it better to attach to a loop tied in the shock cord, or to the nose cone?

Another question. Is it better to attach to a loop tied in the shock cord, or to the nose cone?

Not quite sure what you're asking here. I do know you do NOT want to attach any type of metal loop (quik link, etc.) to the plastic loop molded into the nose cone. It may work great when the shock cord is tied to it, but if you use a metal loop, it snaps against the plastic loop and breaks the plastic. I've seen the plastic loops on nose cones that were recovered separately that had a piece broken out of the plastic loop that was the exact width of the quik link that was used.

Not quite sure what you're asking here. I do know you do NOT want to attach any type of metal loop (quik link, etc.) to the plastic loop molded into the nose cone. It may work great when the shock cord is tied to it, but if you use a metal loop, it snaps against the plastic loop and breaks the plastic. I've seen the plastic loops on nose cones that were recovered separately that had a piece broken out of the plastic loop that was the exact width of the quik link that was used.

That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks.

Back