TI 11/2010 - N10K Mongoose, N2000 BBX, and a few more...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't take many photos; it rained on Saturday, and I was stuck prepping for most of Sunday (note to self: finish the avbay *before* getting to the launch site...). Despite the weird weather, there were lots of cool flights.

Brian Perry's Horizon on a J420R
IMG_1942.jpg

Randy Milliken's 4" Patriot on a Pro29 Blue
IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Tim Lehr put an I motor in a Mini DarkStar (as covered previously)
IMG_1953.jpg

Dave Porter's DSL on a G76G
IMG_1960.jpg

Vic Barlow's Wildman 3 on a 54/1750 K500 White
IMG_1970.jpg

Dave Kittell's Bruiser on a Gorilla K470WC
IMG_1974.jpg

Gus Piepenburg's Mongoose98 on an N10,000
IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

My Extreme DarkStar (Dark Energy) on a 76/6000 M2400 Blue
IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

Vic Barlow's 6" BBX on a 98/11k N2000 White
IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

Any more details on the Mongoose N10k shot?

Altitude?
Speed?
Acceleration?
Videos?

Forthcoming, from Justin Farrand
Acceleration?
Lots
Too much
Altitude?
Which piece?
:D

All the fins stayed on; the failure mode looks like it was either the carbon tubing snapping just above the motor case (there's a clean break there) or a drag separation at burnout. The thing was moving so fast, it was impossible to tell exactly when it came apart. There was an accel in it (emphasis on was), but no data came back. All I know is that it's the only time I've ever heard Doppler shift from an N10,000!

After the flight, I saw Gus leaving Tim's trailer with a pair of Ravens, a pair of MG98s, and a s**t-eating grin on his face. Something tells me he'll be back...

Great pics. Amazing you got a lift off shot of that N10K!

I also love the pic of the back end of that Mongoose. The nozzle throat is so large it seems someone forgot to install the nozzle :cyclops:.

Forthcoming, from Justin Farrand

Lots

Too much

Which piece?
:D

All the fins stayed on; the failure mode looks like it was either the carbon tubing snapping just above the motor case (there's a clean break there) or a drag separation at burnout. The thing was moving so fast, it was impossible to tell exactly when it came apart. There was an accel in it (emphasis on was), but no data came back. All I know is that it's the only time I've ever heard Doppler shift from an N10,000!

After the flight, I saw Gus leaving Tim's trailer with a pair of Ravens, a pair of MG98s, and a s**t-eating grin on his face. Something tells me he'll be back...

It is hard to keep old Gus down.

Hey David, how do you get such rich reds in the Redline pics? Mine are always washed out.

_MG_0678.jpg

Hey David, how do you get such rich reds in the Redline pics? Mine are always washed out.

I turn down the AE setting; depending on the lighting conditions, somewhere between -1 and -2 seems to do it. You give up detail on the airframe, but being a prophead that doesn't bother me too much!

It is hard to keep old Gus down.

Yes, yes it is. We missed ya Larry, hope to see you at another launch soon!

That launch is the craziest one I've seen in a long time, if not ever!

Rails can flex, just not easily.

On our big projects, we use 1530 rail (1.5" x 3.0"), oriented such that the rocket will attempt to flex it on the 3.0" side.

Assuming one end is held rigidly, at the very end, on a 12 foot long piece, it takes several hundred pounds position at the opposite end to deflect that end by 1/2". Before we decided on how to do the rails for the Delta III, we had someone do the math.

FWIW, looking at the video, the rail the rocket is on does not appear to be 1515 rail -- it looks more like channel, which is nowhere near as rigid as 1515. The opposite (silver) rail looks like 1515. It flexes a bit, due to the vibration in the pad, but nowhere near as much as the black channel does.

-Kevin

Last edited:
Anyone who says rails don't whip, watch that closely. If I'm not mistaken that looks like a 1.5" 1515 rail. I'd love to see the calculations on how much force was applied to overcome the bending moment and get what looks like about 4 inches of deflection at the end.

Gus mentions in the clip the rail is a BlackSky rail.
Not sure why he choose that rail to use.
I know he uses both 10/10 and 15/15 rails with that pad.
Rails are backed up for the first 4' or so with 2"x3" tubing.
It is a nice pad set up.
Gus does not do much of anything half a**.
Great guy to know and fun to fly with.

Back