Allscratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Time for another one of my builds!

Well, actually, it's my dad and I again. We had a lot of raw materials laying around, so we are going to be true rocketeers. We are now currently molding our fiberglass tube, and will be carving/glassing our own nosecone from foam, and cutting fins from 1/4 ply. Total length will be 42 inches (give or take) and it will have a 38mm mount, two sets of TTW fins, and a perfectflite MAWD as the deployment system. This will be our practice rocket, before we use electronics in my dad's L2 attempt.

Stay tuned!
-Braden

P.S. I think we have a real named settled and ready to go. It will be secret until the decals are on ;)

allscratch.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the tube around the mandrel. a 3 inch PML tube.

sanding is done, we are doing one more layer of 6 oz, then some 2 oz so it is easier to sand/fill

fibertube.jpg

some shots of the finished tube.

Also a preview of the very frightening decals coming from Mark at Stickershock23.com

The tube came out unbelievably beautiful. It took very little sanding, and won't take much filling, just where the air bubbles left little chips in the glass. The only problem is there is a bit of a flat spot where it sat when we thought it was dry, but apparently it wasn't completely dry. It's nothing huge, so it shouldn't be a problem.

fibertube2.jpg

sanding.jpg

halloween_stuff.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an update. I cut and glued together a foam block to make the nosecone from. I was a little skeptical about using the foam made of "beads" but it sands smooth enough to be fiberglassed.

foam.jpg

So appearently this isn't a very interesting build :confused2:

Anyway, I started to sand the nose foam, but ran out of battery, need some heavier sandpaper.

hehe.jpg

Yep, and its the weekend, we are busy prepping rockets to launch today!
I am about to enbark an the foam turning process myself, since I have to build transition sections for a high power bullpup and a high power pershing. The turning tool you are using looks like something I could rig up. Happy building!

I like your cone shaping setup, but there is a tool that works wonders on almost all NC materials: the Microplane

Eats everything from cheap foam to carbon fiber and anything in between.

G.D.

I like your cone shaping setup, but there is a tool that works wonders on almost all NC materials: the Microplane

Eats everything from cheap foam to carbon fiber and anything in between.

G.D.

It's nothing special, you can't see it behind me, but it's just a drill sitting on my fiberglassing stand. :eek:

I'll have to get one of those, I am (hopefully) getting a lathe soon.

What type of glue do you use to glue the foam pieces together?

Braden,

If you haven't already chosen, I highly recommend this Jet lathe.
It was my first lathe, and is a fantastic machine. Just be certain to invest in both quality turning tools and a decent sharpening system.

G.D.

Braden,

If you haven't already chosen, I highly recommend this Jet lathe.
It was my first lathe, and is a fantastic machine. Just be certain to invest in both quality turning tools and a decent sharpening system.

G.D.

That's the one! A friend of ours just bought a new lathe, so his jet may be coming to us.

Another lathe sight if your looking at other options. I just recently got an Excelsior Lathe, heres the link https://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19446. When I (my dad) got it it was a little less because they were having a sale and the sale included an extender for it as well. The lathe works great and I have already spun a nose cone on it works great even though my skills need a little tuning. Happy spinning!

Matt

Okay, here is a shot of me shaping it. You can tell now it's going to be a nosecone.

God, you stop following TRF And you really fall behind stuff.Im back, in read only mode of corse Ill take it that this is the rocket you were referring to on FB, Very Cool!:D

God, you stop following TRF And you really fall behind stuff.Im back, in read only mode of corse Ill take it that this is the rocket you were referring to on FB, Very Cool!:D

Yep, this is it, got some more pics for you guys, I used my grandpa's miter saw, I was scared it would chip the fiberglass, because it only has 32 teeth ( I was instructed to use 60 or more) but my dad helped me out, and we went through it slow and it came out smooth as butter. I need to get one of those.

These decals were brought to you (well me) by Mark Hayes at stickershock23.com. don't forget to stop by for your next rocket. He can make you anything you need.

tube.jpg

tubes.jpg

decals.jpg

stickershock23.jpg

:D :D
I was starting to wonder why HE was building your level 2 rocket.

This wasn't first intended to be his level 2 rocket. That was supposed to be the alpha, but if we build this heavy enough to stay under mach on a J, we should be safe to do it with this rocket.

Here is the body tubes with filler in them.

it is Bob Smith laminating epoxy with micro-balloons. Works wonders.

filler.jpg

Last edited:
Sanded, filler worked beautifully. I'm really grateful for powered sanders.

Look, mom even made a batch of rice crispy treats to celebrate.:bangpan:

Photo-0249.jpg

Last edited:
Whoo, yay for getting stuff done.

First picture. My dad cut the 3 inch tube with a jigsaw, I would also like to mention the face that I did not sand any edges. They were as close to perfectly straight as humanly possible. Incredible.

Also, for size comparison, on the left side...the altimeter bay for this project,behind it, the booster tube for this project... on the right, the motor tube for the 6x alpha upscale :dark:

Next picture is the alt bay with all the hardware, minus the ejection canisters,sled,and altimeter. and of course, the man behind the jigsaw...my dad. Also, we realize we will need to cut down the all thread. :roll:

Getting closer and closer!

-Braden

tubecuts.jpg

altbay.jpg

Got some updates, cut two of the fin slots before the dremel died. I have tomorrow, saturday, and a little bit of sunday to get it painted and ready to go. So CLOSE

Going wildman style now!

P.S. Arizona green tea rules. Also, if you ever come to Idaho, stop by Idaho Pizza Company,really good pizza...

finslot.jpg

finfit.jpg

top CR.jpg

Last edited:
Back