Four fins and a Bowling Ball?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonogo

Reaction score
This is a quick thread to show how I built a simple bowling ball lofter for LDRS.

Fin can.

100_0577.jpg

Fin slots in 4" LOC tubing. I scored them with a hobby knife, then cut them through with hobby hand saw.

100_0584.jpg

The bowling ball with the necessary hardware. How did I get a hole drilled all the way through an 8.5" ball? Well I'll give credit to my dad there. He welded a 5/16" bit onto a piece of all thread and we used his drill press. I think we were both kind of impressed with result. He chuckled and said "never thought I'd be drilling a hole through a bowling ball!". But it worked.

100_0582.jpg

This is kind of blurry cause no tripod in low light equals well, blurry.

100_0624.jpg

Looks nice..Guess it would qualify for the 'Large Dangerous Rocket' :)

But the real question is: 16lb or 15lb ball? Straight poly or reactive poly? ;)

Wow! Fascinating and innovative are the first words that come to mind. Is it going to be stable? Also, why didn't you put a 38mm MMT in it?

Loading and prepping. Notice the large 6 grain case. Also the small asian condom holding the ejection charge. That realy is just a finger condom and it did not work.. LOL I had to resort to tape. Oh, thats my nerdy butt on the left.

googlydodo.jpg

But the real question is: 16lb or 15lb ball? Straight poly or reactive poly?

Its an 8lb ball. It is not reactive no. I'm a bowler too.

Wow! Fascinating and innovative are the first words that come to mind. Is it going to be stable? Also, why didn't you put a 38mm MMT in it?

Thanks, as you might imagine with all that nose weight you actually have to fight against having an overstable design. I picked a 29mm mount because of the parts I had on hand really.
The rules only allow for a small list of given motors so I went with what I had.

Nice job!
That H268 has a huge flame, wow!
I've flown a few I200's, but I may have to try that motor.

Very nice, though honestly I would have gone with the 38mm H999 instead to get the extra punch off the pad.

The 268 is a fun motor though, no question, and it looks like it worked out great :D

Thanks guys, that H268R motor is nice. I know that most people will use the H999 and so be it. Simple and easy was the word of the day for me. I can fly my rocket dumb.

Looks like it was a nice launch! Do you have an idea of how high it went?

It was probably 10+lbs at launch, and it was an H motor...

I can't imagine more than 500 feet...

cjl, I think you peeked at my rocksim file, your guess is too good.

Its not just an H motor, in fact any more impulse and it would be an I200, same casing just differant fuel. It is a full H, about 95%.

I am just as impressed as most of you all are. I have been wanting to launch a bowling ball for as long as I have been into high power, and am stoked to have done it. This is however a duration contest and therein lies the challenge.

Nope - I don't have rocksim on this computer, and my sister's been hogging the one that does have it all day...

It is definitely a large H motor (I've flown a couple, and love them), but it is an H nonetheless. I've flown rockets that were 12lbs on an I600, and they didn't go that high, so 10lbs on an H would really be a low flight, hence my 500 foot guess.

Back