New HP scratcher, Unguided Mayhem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
A bad thing happened to me recently. I discovered that Hobbylinc carries LOC components. What could I do? Armed with that knowledge, I promptly placed an order. I'm calling this one "Unguided Mayhem", and it's obviously inspired by the LOC Expediter. I've wanted an Expediter for some time, but didn't want the 54mm motor mount. Mayhem will have a 38mm motor mount and a zipperless design. The orange will actually be Rustoleum fluroescent orange, but I couldn't replicate it in Photoshop.

screenshot.jpg

Unguided_Mayhem_empty_org_blk_txt.jpg

locpk72.jpg

The components aren't here yet, but I went ahead and started on the centering rings. I cut them with a 4-1/4" hole saw, using a 1-5/8" hole saw for the center holes. Mounting them on the wood lathe before I cut the center holes, I trimmed them to size with a coarse file. Seems to work better on the plywood end grain than a lathe chisel.

01_centering_rings.jpg

02_centering_rings.jpg

03_centering_rings.jpg

04_centering_rings.jpg

05_centering_rings.jpg

I got the baffle plate done that will be glued into the coupler. The perimeter holes are 3/8".

06_baffle.jpg

07_baffle.jpg

08_baffle.jpg

09_baffle.jpg

32_baffle.jpg

I went ahead and made the retention plate that I'll use with a 38-29mm adapter. It's made from 1/16" x 1-1/4" aluminum.

10_retention_plate.jpg

11_retention_plate.jpg

12_retention_plate.jpg

13_retention_plate.jpg

20_retention_plate.jpg

I got the discs cut out that will be the half moon baffles in the end of the motor tube. I also cut the motor tube to length with the miter saw.

15_baffles.jpg

16_baffles.jpg

17_baffles.jpg

18_motor_tube.jpg

I had to change the 6" x 48" belt on my stationary sander. I love the sander, but hate changing the belt. It's tedious. But I got it replaced, and sanded the fins.

sander1.jpg

sander4.jpg

28_fins.jpg

30_fins.jpg

Got the tee nuts installed in the aft centering ring. I also filled the pilot holes in the baffle discs with epoxy, and epoxied the rail button bosses to both centering rings.

26_tee_nuts.jpg

31_tee_nuts.jpg

34_tee_nuts.jpg

35_baffles.jpg

36_boss.jpg

Got the forward centering ring epoxied on the motor tube. Also got the half moon baffles epoxied in.

Attachments

• 37_motor_mount.jpg
    37_motor_mount.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 38_baffle.jpg
    38_baffle.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 39_baffle.jpg
    39_baffle.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 40_baffle.jpg
    40_baffle.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 24
Qquake, do you have a job or is this all you do! I cant remember a time when i'm not subscribed to one of your build threads. Good luck with the build, i'll be watching.

Alex

Another fine looking build in the making. Always enjoy seeing your work.
John

A bad thing happened to me recently. I discovered that Hobbylinc carries LOC components...

Bad thing or good thing, it's all in how you look at it. Here is my :2:

Good thing - Qquake has all these build threads - I (and many others) have learned a great deal from you. :cool:
Bad thing - Qquake has all these build threads - I spend all my free time on TRF and don't have any time left for building rockets. :(

Good thing - Hobbylinc has LOC parts at a discount. :D
Bad thing - Hobbylinc gets a sizable chunk of my money. :blush:

Good thing - Qquake has an awesome home shop. ;)
Bad thing - Having no "home shop", I have to buy all my rings and bulk plates from Hobbylinc or BMS. :eek:

Good thing - Band saw for cutting fins out. :cheers:
Bad thing - I have no band saw, and cut my fins one at a time by hand. :rant:

Bad thing - Replacing belt on belt sander. :rolleyes:
Worse thing - Sanding fins by hand using lot's of elbow grease cause I ain't got no belt sander :cry:

Seriously Jim, I dig your build threads. Very informative and entertaining. :clap:

... no way I can justify the cost, but man I wish I had a band saw...

Qquake, do you have a job or is this all you do! I cant remember a time when i'm not subscribed to one of your build threads. Good luck with the build, i'll be watching.

Alex

Actually, I do have a job. Been with the same company for 29 years now. I'm very fortunate and blessed. That's how I pay for my tools and rockets!

Bad thing or good thing, it's all in how you look at it. Here is my :2:

Good thing - Qquake has all these build threads - I (and many others) have learned a great deal from you. :cool:
Bad thing - Qquake has all these build threads - I spend all my free time on TRF and don't have any time left for building rockets. :(

Good thing - Hobbylinc has LOC parts at a discount. :D
Bad thing - Hobbylinc gets a sizable chunk of my money. :blush:

Good thing - Qquake has an awesome home shop. ;)
Bad thing - Having no "home shop", I have to buy all my rings and bulk plates from Hobbylinc or BMS. :eek:

Good thing - Band saw for cutting fins out. :cheers:
Bad thing - I have no band saw, and cut my fins one at a time by hand. :rant:

Bad thing - Replacing belt on belt sander. :rolleyes:
Worse thing - Sanding fins by hand using lot's of elbow grease cause I ain't got no belt sander :cry:

Seriously Jim, I dig your build threads. Very informative and entertaining. :clap:

... no way I can justify the cost, but man I wish I had a band saw...

Thank you for the compliments! I didn't always have these power tools, I started small. My first bandsaw was a small one I got at a yard sale for $50. I've been very fortunate to be able to upgrade all my tools throughout the years. But honestly, if I didn't have the power tools I'd still be building rockets. Just maybe not as many of them. LOL

I got the components a few days ago, and finally got some more work done. Since the SARG launch has been cancelled tomorrow, I might even get it finished this weekend.

I'm a little confused by the couplers. The LOC coupler seems really thin to me. I measured it, and the wall is only 0.039" thick. I had a coupler that I got from Mercury Engineering, and the wall measures 0.064". But then I got to wondering, did I get them mixed up? Regardless, I decided to use the thicker one.

I am so anal about fasteners coming loose. I used toothed lockwashers, staked the u-bolt ends, and covered the nuts with epoxy. Geez, talk about overdoing it.

41_couplers.jpg

42_baffle.jpg

43_nuts.jpg

48_nuts.jpg

I got the baffle plate with the u-bolt in it epoxied into the coupler. I used 1/2" long nylon spacers hold the baffle plate at the correct depth, and keep it level while the epoxy set.

44_spacers.jpg

45_spacers.jpg

46_coupler.jpg

47_coupler.jpg

51_baffle.jpg

I cut the 34" body tubes to length. The upper 3" tube will be 17". Originally I was planning on cutting the lower 4" tube into two 17" lengths. But I decided to cut them at 15" and 19", using the 19" section for the recovery bay. The coupler will stick into the bay 3", and the shoulder of the transition is 3-1/2". With a 17" section, that would have only left me with 10-1/2" of space. This way, I'll have 12-1/2". Just making sure I'll have room for the large parachute and the tubular nylon webbing.

When I removed the masking tape from the smaller 4" section, it tore some of the outer layer of paper off. I flooded the area with thin CA so I can sand it before painting.

53_body_tube.jpg

54_body_tube.jpg

56_body_tubes.jpg

57_body_tube.jpg

Because the lower 4" section will now be shorter than planned, I had to cut 1-1/2" off the end of the motor tube. I also got the coupler and inside of the upper 4" section flooded with CA. Because it was a loose fit, I only had to hand sand them.

I decided to put a bulkhead in the upper 4" section for the recovery anchor. I did this mostly because if I had used the transition, I would have had to drill holes in it for the paracord loops. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it sealed properly. With the bulkhead, I don't have to worry about it.

59_motor_tube.jpg

58_ca.jpg

60_bulkhead.jpg

61_bulkhead.jpg

62_bulkhead.jpg

How long is the motor tube now?

I've always liked the look of the Expediter.

With the half moon baffles, it has 13" of usable length. That gives me room for up to a 29mm I200 or 38mm I284.

With the half moon baffles, it has 13" of usable length. That gives me room for up to a 29mm I200 or 38mm I284.
Those are good sized motors so there shouldn't be any issues. Might be a long walk for a motor deploy rocket if it comes out light.

That's going to be a cool looking rocket that should screem off the pad.I'm just getting some work done on a rocket you made back I think last month or was it Feb?.Your such a rocket building machine,I could not remember what you named the rocket.All I remember was that it had square fins.I'm adding a little angle to the leading and trailing edge.I'm also putting in your trademark baffle that I have used in my last three rockets.Those 3 half moon discs really keep the chute clean and safe.Are you going with the Black and Yellow paint?:wink:

Those are good sized motors so there shouldn't be any issues. Might be a long walk for a motor deploy rocket if it comes out light.

Yeah, Thrustcurve says 2450 on an I284. I'll probably keep it to 1500 or so. An H112 Black Jack or an I218 Redline might be a good choice.

That's going to be a cool looking rocket that should screem off the pad.I'm just getting some work done on a rocket you made back I think last month or was it Feb?.Your such a rocket building machine,I could not remember what you named the rocket.All I remember was that it had square fins.I'm adding a little angle to the leading and trailing edge.I'm also putting in your trademark baffle that I have used in my last three rockets.Those 3 half moon discs really keep the chute clean and safe.Are you going with the Black and Yellow paint?:wink:

Ah yes, my Plasma Fart. Are you doing a build thread for your version? I'd love to see it. I'm going to paint Mayhem fluorescent orange and metallic black. I think that'll be a nice visible combination.

I chose a 1/4" stainless steel eyebolt for the bulkhead. That stainless seems to be a lot stronger than regular steel. I tried to stake the end with a center punch like I did the u-bolt, but didn't get very far. I used a lock nut, lock washer, and covered it with epoxy. I know, anal. LOL

I epoxied the bulkhead into the upper 4" body tube. Should be plenty strong with epoxy on both sides of it.

69_bulkhead.jpg

70_bulkhead.jpg

73_bulkhead.jpg

74_bulkhead.jpg

75_bulkhead.jpg

Got the fin slots cut. You can tell by the scribbles that I made a mistake. I epoxied the motor mount in with the rail button boss aligned with a fin line. Fortunately I realized my mistake before I started cutting the slots.

I started epoxying the fins on using my alignment guide as usual.

71_slots.jpg

72_slots.jpg

76_fins.jpg

77_fins.jpg

78_fins.jpg

I ended up with some gaps between one of the fins and the body tube, so I filled them with epoxy. I also started on the external fillets, using Titebond molding glue.

79_fins.jpg

80_fins.jpg

82_fillets.jpg

Back