SCALE - F100 Super Sabre Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Long ago Ken Brown (owner of QCR and long time PMC Guru) taught me there are two General bad weather models you should have in your PMC stable for back-ups the first we've already discussed in the 1/48th Wheels-Up F-104 StarFighter. The next is a 1/48th Wheels Down slightly more detailed F-100 Super Saber. This is another less then Ideal weather conditions flying day entry intended to compete with a slightly more competitive field of flyers.
Because The F-100 converts fairly easily and flys well in moderately windy conditions it's the Back-up "Go To" model when there are a lot of good looking models being entered:) The trick is to find and buy a couple "inexpensive" 1/48th kits to have made as back ups.

This particular model is a Lindberg 1/48th #72521 Firepower kit that comes with a wide assortment of external weapons and stores that make for a fun build and Great looking finished model. Fly's well on C6-3 motors, and with just a little angle given to an elevator can be set up to do a nice barrel roll or two on the way up. If presented in advance of the flight to the judges this can get a couple extra flight points. It also helps offset most of the external add-on load giving a little better "straighter" flight path. Most F100's if build with good alignment will tend to weathercock and sort of fly belly to the ground so it's often better to induce a little roll.

Model 162 had a great flight life until I decided to static display her at an Outdoors Airshow "IN" it's clear plastic Protective box. DOH! Sun heat caused considerable melting damage before I noticed the problem. While most of the Seam spliting damage was corrected I'm almost afraid to fly it again because I'm not sure how much mis-alignment and wing warpage was introduced:(
Lesson learned: Outdoor displays must have models in the open air or if boxed under shade...sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way:(

Post Copied with permission

Attachments

• F100d-b1_SuperSabre Lindberg 72521Firepower48th(128dpi)_98.jpg
    F100d-b1_SuperSabre Lindberg 72521Firepower48th(128dpi)_98.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 62
  • PMC's Display-sm @ CollegePark Airfair 09-14-96.jpg
    PMC's Display-sm @ CollegePark Airfair 09-14-96.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
OMG ,an old Lindberg kit :y: Talk about a bygone era kit...sand fill ,sand fill ,sand fill LOL. They did make some good kits back then ,made for the true modeller as they say.And trust me ,as a plastic aircraft model builder, I`ve built them all.

Nice work !

Paul T

OMG ,an old Lindberg kit :y: Talk about a bygone era kit...sand fill ,sand fill ,sand fill LOL. They did make some good kits back then ,made for the true modeller as they say.And trust me ,as a plastic aircraft model builder, I`ve built them all.

Nice work !

Paul T

I believe I still have 2 or 3 of each of the Lindberg FirePower series kits in the PMC cabinet. F-100D SuperSaber #72521, F-104c StarFighter #72522 and F8j Crusader #72523. All Very Very nice kits with all the Weapons sure makes Loading up the conversions a breeze:)

PS: Paul: in your travels if you ever run across a 1/100th or 1/144th F100 any varient Plastic model kit I'd sure be very interested in getting my grubby little hands on a couple. I've been looking for one a long time now.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The Little 1:65th F100 has to be one of my favorite flying PMC's....

Why? Well for several reasons.

First: it flys on a 13mm A10-3T motor in a rear ejection chute drag out pod so I didn't have to cut off the nose of the Jet to make a nosecone seperation point.

Because it's a bit larger then 1:72 it had some decent options detailing the cockpit, landing gear and weapons. Finding optional weapons proved a bit of a challange but I came up with enough that If this were a real aircraft it'd never get off the ground with the missile and bomb load I give it LOL!!!

Next was the opportunity to do a fairly neat camouflage 6 color spary and hand brush painted pattern.

last it just flys pertty well for such a heavy little model. With it's custom made very light drycleaner over the top shroud 10" chute the model has an Ewt. of 72.0grams. Flys well on those windy days I'd had to fly some of my other PMCs.

Post copied to with permission

Attachments

• F100c-b2_SuperSabre Revell 4351 65th(128dpi)_93.jpg
    F100c-b2_SuperSabre Revell 4351 65th(128dpi)_93.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 186b_F100-C underside_by Jim @ CAP display_11-02-09.jpg
    186b_F100-C underside_by Jim @ CAP display_11-02-09.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 186c1_F100 SuperSabre-PMC_Lift-off-65th.jpg
    186c1_F100 SuperSabre-PMC_Lift-off-65th.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator: