• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Kevlar for sale - 80 lb & 120 lb test strength - 1,000 ft pkgs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevlarGuy

Reaction score
I've got a limited quantity of 80 lb test strength and 120 lb test strength Kevlar Braid coming in within the next two weeks. Send me an email if you are interested.

Each 4 oz package contains over 1,000 feet of Kevlar professionally wound on a 6" x 1/2" bobbin. The 80 lb strength line is constructed of 8 ends of 200-denier Kevlar fiber professionally braided into a superior quality line. The 120 lb strength line is constructed of 12 ends of the same material in the same expert fashion.

Colors available are natural Kevlar (yellow) and green dyed Kevlar.

Each 4 oz package is available for $10.99. Shipping and Handling is $5.05 for shipments via USPS Priority Mail to the continental USA ONLY. I will combine shipping, but only up to 4 packages - that's all that fits in one box.

Please reply with any questions or to place an order. My eBay ID is fan-alive if you would like to search my other auctions.

Thank you so much for your interest, and GOOD LUCK!

Originally posted by KevlarGuy
I've got a limited quantity of 80 lb test strength and 120 lb test strength Kevlar Braid coming in within the next two weeks. Send me an email if you are interested.

Each 4 oz package contains over 1,000 feet of Kevlar professionally wound on a 6" x 1/2" bobbin. The 80 lb strength line is constructed of 8 ends of 200-denier Kevlar fiber professionally braided into a superior quality line. The 120 lb strength line is constructed of 12 ends of the same material in the same expert fashion.

Colors available are natural Kevlar (yellow) and green dyed Kevlar.

Each 4 oz package is available for $10.99. Shipping and Handling is $5.05 for shipments via USPS Priority Mail to the continental USA ONLY. I will combine shipping, but only up to 4 packages - that's all that fits in one box.

Please reply with any questions or to place an order. My eBay ID is fan-alive if you would like to search my other auctions.

Thank you so much for your interest, and GOOD LUCK!
If the 4 oz package of 120 lb Kevlar contains over 1000 ft, would it then be accurate to say that the 4 oz package of 80 lb Kevlar contains over 1500 ft? I'm ignoring the weight of the bobbin here, which obviously isn't accurate.

The weight of the bobbin, which is about 1 ounce, is excluded from the 4 oz package. In other words, the 4 oz package is the net weight and is comprised entirely of fiber.

The DIMENSIONS of the bobbin itself, upon which the fiber is wound, are 6 INCHES in length by 1/2 INCHES in DIAMETER. They are accurate dimensions.

You have the right idea with respect to the size of the braid (8 ends vs 12 ends) and the differing lengths of equal-weight packages, but more data comes into play.

#1 - some of the fiber carries a fine wax coating, which affects the weight and is "accepted" by the fiber differently, depending on the braid. The wax attributes solids weight to the fiber, but has no bearing of the chemical properties of the fiber. (It was applied to the fiber for fishing reel applications).

#2 - the green fiber carries extra solids weight in the form of green dye.

When all is said and done, the lightest, or lowest denier braid available is the green, unwaxed, 200d x 8-end braid, which is 1700 denier or 1,970 ft per 4 oz. (I don't have any natural yellow, unwaxed, 200d x 8-end braid, or else THAT would be the lightest at 1600 denier).

The heaviest, or highest denier braid available is the green, waxed, 200d x 12-end braid, which is 3200 denier or 1,046 ft per 4 oz.

I did not intend to get this technical with the advertisement - I just wanted to be fair in stating that a 4 oz package carries over 1,000 feet. I should have said AT LEAST 1,000 ft. Because I am charging by WEIGHT, and not LENGTH, it is of less importance to me.

Feel free to take advantage of the lower denier packages if you need more length, but at the same time, 4 oz / 1,000+ feet of the heavier & stronger braid is available at the same price.

Thank you for your interest!

Folks,

KevlarGuy posted here because I asked him to.

The recent thread about Team-Silogram getting out of the kevlar business renewed my hunt for braided kevlar. Some searching led me to KevlarGuy and I bought a roll of his 120# to try. It is very similar to the 100 lb. microbraid I've bought elsewhere, at a much better price.

I've found this gentleman to be very easy to deal with. He takes paypal, and delivery was almost instantaneous.

I suggested he post here so he could avoid some auction fees and pass the savings on to us.

Gus, thanks a lot for the positive note. I don't know much about rockets and I'm new to this thread, so I understand / expect a little hesitance from the outset.

Feel free to contact me any time with questions. I don't know how you all dealt with Team Silogram, but I actually contacted him first when I entered the market to see if he was interested in the poundage I had available. I don't know how well I can fill his shoes, but I'm happy to do my best with whatever you need. I have no website, so emails directed through this post will have to do for now - THANKS, and GOOD LUCK!

I'm interested in the 120lb stuff. That seems like a heck of a deal.

Just one question (and perhaps I should be asking this of Gus)

Is this braided stuff similar to the "twisted" stuff that Silogram sold? My main question: do the individual filaments in the braid (12 of them, in this case) generally remain twisted/braided, or does it tend to "unravel"?

Thanks.

Sorry, no Kevlar cloth . . .

As for the question about unraveling - Gus will be best suited to answer after he runs the braid through a few tests, but I suspect it will hold together well.

Good luck to all, and thank you again for your interest!

Originally posted by Fore Check
Is this braided stuff similar to the "twisted" stuff that Silogram sold? My main question: do the individual filaments in the braid (12 of them, in this case) generally remain twisted/braided, or does it tend to "unravel"?
Fore Check,

This is actual braid. What Silogram sells is twisted yarn. The picture below shows the size roll I bought and an idea of the roll size and thread diameter compared to an X-acto knife. The closeup shows you the actual braid (man was that difficult to get a picture of).:p

In general, the 120 lb braid Kevlar Guy is selling is a great size for replacing any Estes-type shock cord. It's a little bigger than what I would use for shroud lines on a plastic parachute, but it would make great lines for a nylon chute.

Hope the photos help.

Gus

**NOTICE**

I just got new break strength results back on my 8-end and 12-end braided Kevlar.

The 200d x 8-end breaks at 70 lb, not 80 lb.

The 200d x 12-end breaks at 100-110 lb, not 120 lb.

My 80 lb and 120 lb estimates were based on the nominal 10 lb break strength per braided end, and I just multiplied the 10 lb by the number of ends. The company providing the material sent me quality assurance testing results, and I wanted to share the results with the thread.

Thanks again for your interest, and GOOD LUCK!

Absolutely - I have a number of the yellow and green braided kevlar rolls available for sale as described above. Same quantities, same $10.99 price per 4 oz, which, depending on the break strength and coating, will yield at least 1000 ft and at most 1,900 ft.

Shipping is $5.05 per order, up to 4 rolls combined shipping before I have to charge another $5.05 for a separate box.

Thank you all again for your interest, and ENJOY!!

To place an order for 70 lb (8-end true braid) or 110 lb (12-end true braid) Kevlar spools, kindly send me a private message and we'll arrange the order through PayPal.

The spools / rolls are 4 oz in weight and range in length from 1,000 to 1,900 ft, depending on the color (natural yellow or dyed green) & braid (8- or 12-end) you choose. The packages are $10.99 each with $5.05 express shipping.

I am a PayPal verified PayPal member with Verisign ID Verification (through eBay - see user ID fan-alive for other info).

Thank you all again for your interest, and HAVE FUN!!

Lou the Kevlar Guy

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that there is still some Kevlar available. I have a handful of yellow spools available and about 10 green spools are available. The price and shipping I quoted earlier in the thread is still being honored. Just shoot me a private email and I'll be happy to make a sale or send a sample.

You can also check out the handful of auctions I have going on eBay. Follow this link:

https://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfan-aliveQQhtZ-1QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0?

Thank you all again for your support. Any positive (or negative) feedback regarding my previous thread sales is welcome on this page.

Thank you again, and GOOD LUCK!

-Lou the Kevlar Guy

Back