Wasserfall Canadian Arrow Bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
I posted about this in another thread but though it was progressing enough to warrant its own. This is a Canadian Arrow with body tube cut to 8.39 inches (notice how I said that with a straight face?) and scale control surfaces added to the stock (non-scale) fins. The canards are scale as well. All scale measurements from Peter Alway's Scale Bash.

As the glue dries, I've been trying to come up with a paint scheme. I'd like a cool Luft 46 operational one but I'm not getting any major inspiration. I even thought of a Der Red Max scheme today but I should probably save that for a Baby Bertha Goony version.

Oh well, at this point I'm leaning toward a typical German yellow and we'll see what inspiration happens...

MetMan

I'd be inclined to paint it in the original black/white prototype scheme:
https://www.luftarchiv.de/flugkorper/was_1.jpg
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/archives/rec.models.rockets/PLANS/Wasserfall.GIF

The photos at the bottom of the Luft 46 Wasserfall page show a specimen at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in what seems to be overall light blue-grey, possibly RLM76. The Feuerlilie missile research rockets were also painted in this colour. So I'd guess that, had Wasserfall become operational, it would have been painted this way too.

Originally posted by adrian
The photos at the bottom of the Luft 46 Wasserfall page show a specimen at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in what seems to be overall light blue-grey, possibly RLM76. The Feuerlilie missile research rockets were also painted in this colour. So I'd guess that, had Wasserfall become operational, it would have been painted this way too.

Adrian,

Thanks. I'd considered light blue and right now am leaning toward that with a mottling of green or panzer grey.

Originally posted by MetMan
I'd considered light blue and right now am leaning toward that with a mottling of green or panzer grey.
It would look good, but I doubt that an operational Wasserfall would have been camouflaged like that. The mottling of grey and/or green over light blue (more precisely, RLM75 Grauviolett and RLM74 Graugrun over RLM76 Lichtblau) was common camouflage on fighters, but there's not much point in camouflaging something trailing a streak of flame! If you want to put a camouflage scheme on it, perhaps use something similar to a V-2. This could be an attempt to hide it from Allied fighter-bombers while it was on the ground, so it didn't get destroyed before it could be fired at a squadron of heavy bombers.

Of course, all this is pure speculation since the Wasserfall never got past prototype stage. :) And a mottled model would certainly look more interesting than a plain blue one. In any case, that looks a fine model and I look forward to seeing it completed!

Good points all. I suspect the main reason for camo would be for while it was on the ground. It makes sense to me that the Luftwaffe would use Luftwaffe techniques so I'm tempted to go toward fighter-like camo. We'll see...

At any rate, when I built the fin can, I taped the top centering ring in place and insterted the tail cone into the body tube to hold it securely. I then glued the fins. Once they were dry, I was able to remove the centering ring and apply internal fillets.

Here it is dry fitted. I've got to remember the shock cord attachment...

Oh, and those fins on the table? They look suspiciously like Baby Bertha fins with added control surfaces...

Simply an outstanding kit bash.

I recently picked up two Canadian Arrow kits at Hobby Lobby (two for the price of one!).

I had planned to make one an A-4b (the winged version) and one either the A9 or the Wasserfall.

Now, I think that I am definately going with the Wasserfall! :D

Couldn't resist this Baby Bertha kit bash to go along with the Wasserfall...

This one is going to be have a black NC with fluorescent blue body. Appropriate Der Red/Blue Max decals, of course.

Very cool! I started out building a Wasserfall out of an old V-2 kit I found, but went with the Blossom instead. I still have the fins from the Wasserfall, so maybe I need to pick up an Arrow at the next 50% off sale at Hobby Lobby.

awesome I might try one of these with a 29mm MMT :D

thanx, Ben

Back