Wildman Eagle Claw 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barstoolmike

Reaction score
I have one. My wife is getting ready to build it for her level 2 rocket. Very nice kit, everything seems to fit good. The only thing she did so far is, she did a little sanding in the end of the boat tail for a Slimline retainer. I'm waiting for the "Darkstar" to show up this week. We will be building both this weekend.
Mike

I've never looked at the Eagle Claw kit up close, but if it's anything at all like the Extreme Wildman I have, you'll be very pleased with it.

-Kevin

It's basically a Talon. Wildman had to change the name because Giant Leap didn't like him coping the design.

JD

I've never looked at the Eagle Claw kit up close, but if it's anything at all like the Extreme Wildman I have, you'll be very pleased with it.

-Kevin

It's basically a Talon. Wildman had to change the name because Giant Leap didn't like him coping the design.

JD

it does look exactly like a talon, components are different.
Either way its a nice looking bird, i love my talon. and it flies like its on a wire.

The Eagle Claw 4 does look SIMILAR to the Talon 4, however, if you place the pictures side by side comparison you will see there are some differences. Very slight, but they are there. Mainly in the fins size and placement. It appears that the Eagle 4's rear fins are placed closer to the aft end and are slightly smaller them the Talon 4. It also appears as if there is more spacing between the two sets of fins on the Talon 4 then on the Eagle Claw 4..And if the Eagle Claw 4 is 'over 8 feet tall', or more then 96" then it is longer by at least 4" then the Talon 4 which is 92"..

Very similar, but to my eye they don't look exactly alike. ;)

First you have to spend 12,000 on your Wildman Visa CC & attain 12k ft using your Wildman kit to quailfy.... ;)

JD

It says for Woldman Clum Members. How dose that work ? As a Wildman Jr owner I'm I IN THE CULB ? :D

I hate being off topic, but can someone send me some info. on the Wildman DD 2 stage upgrade? I'd like to know what parts are included. It's hard to spend $200+ on something you know nothing about..

Thanks,

JD

Last edited:
Wildman club costs 30 buck a year. For that you get substantial discounts on almost everything year round and several times a year [like now huge discounts on kits AND motors] usually the savings on your first order will more than pay for membership.

Also sign up for the newsletter [bottom of his front page] to keep up with the specials. last month he had a 7.5 in Eagle Claw for 900.00 reg 1300.00. The Ultimate for 450.. reg 650.00 so it is definteley worth while. Only club members get "special discount announcements".

The 2 stage upgrade works like this.....

You use the fincan of your original rocket as the booster. The parts that come with the upgrade now become the sustainer and you use your original payload section with that.

The new tube has the fins moved up from the bottom of the tube to allow for the booster to slide into the sustainer via the new interstage coupler.

You are basically building a new fincan for your existing rocket that will allow you to connect the booster. And using your old fincan for the booster.

It comes with all the parts needed for the rocket itself [tube, fins, MM, CR's interstage coupler], you must of course supply the rail guides, shock cord, timer/altimeter and chute for the booster.

Last edited:
Jim was very close on the 2 stage
It is a new booster that becomes the sustainer.
It does come with shock cord.
You still need an altimeter and parachute, buttons are not needed since it is the upper stage but you can put them on if you like.
I have not written instructions for it yet.
The first one I built was as a trial so I didn't write instructions but it worked well and just haven’t had one in stock long enough to do them the right way
If you would like one give a call and I can walk you through it.
Thank You
Tim

I get the picture.

I've been itching to do another 2 stage rocket. The last one I did was only about 10 years ago. I'm weighing my options before the sale runs out.

I bought 2 PR kits & was going to bash them as a 2 stage project. Right now I started with sustainer fins by trimming back the fin tabs, so I don't have to move the fins or the slots on the tube.

Thanks

JD

Wow a 2 stage version sounds interesting...

I have the normal Eagle Claw and it's one amazing bird. So far It's flown on the following motors:
K1000
K695
K475
J415
and the mighty L2300

I love my Eagle Claw and highly recommend it to anyone.

Actually, we were talking about the 2 stage 3" Wildman kit.
Kind of off topic, but still a Wildman rocket.

JD

Wow a 2 stage version sounds interesting...

I have the normal Eagle Claw and it's one amazing bird. So far It's flown on the following motors:
K1000
K695
K475
J415
and the mighty L2300

I love my Eagle Claw and highly recommend it to anyone.

Actually, we were talking about the 2 stage 3" Wildman kit.
Kind of off topic, but still a Wildman rocket.

JD

Oops yeah, sorry. I've been gone for the past 3 months for Air Force BMT and tech school and I'm just skimming a lot of threads here to catch up on all of the rocketry news. Either way...a two stage Wildman rocket would be cool too(I still have to get the normal one myself)

The Eagle Claw 4 does look SIMILAR to the Talon 4, however, if you place the pictures side by side comparison you will see there are some differences. Very slight, but they are there. Mainly in the fins size and placement. It appears that the Eagle 4's rear fins are placed closer to the aft end and are slightly smaller them the Talon 4. It also appears as if there is more spacing between the two sets of fins on the Talon 4 then on the Eagle Claw 4..And if the Eagle Claw 4 is 'over 8 feet tall', or more then 96" then it is longer by at least 4" then the Talon 4 which is 92"..

Very similar, but to my eye they don't look exactly alike. ;)

I bought a GLR Talon 4 and eventually built it into a pretty close to scratch built 2 -stage. Tim did not have the Eagle Claw out at that time. I significantly stretched the airframe between the fore and aft fins. I built the sustainer (with significantly reinforced g-10 fins (a sheet of 5/32" birch plywood on each side just to the root - so a nice step at the body tube) and fin tip to fin tip cf/kevlar cloth). Since the fins were nearly 1/2" thick I was able to get 1-3/4" bevel on all edges - had to dull them up at the end because I kept cutting myself. I used a boat tail on both the booster- with the stock 1/8" g-10 only fins and the sustainer.
The first flight on this rocket was at LDRS 27 with a AT/Kosdon K828 blackjack to an AMW K1000 skid. It was pretty cool seeing the skid light way up there. I set the rocket up to fly in several configurations, but so far have only had the chance to fly it once as a 2 stage and several times with just the booster and nose cone with apogee deployment. I have not yet flown it with the sustainer and nose cone (but on paper it is stable) nor with the sustainer, forward payload section and nose cone as a dual deploy.

I love the look of this rocket. The 2 stage really stretched it out and took away some of the looks of the relatively close fore / aft fins, but drag separated well. As someone else said, this thing flies very straight with no weather cock with all the fins.

I like the sound of Tim's 2 stage version of the Eagle Claw - similar to how I did mine. GLR has a 2 stage upgrade for the Talons. It involves leaving the ass end alone and putting on a transition to a smaller front end with conical nose cone and smaller motor mount.

I have been contemplating making a 6" version of this and making it a 3 stage rocket. The booster would have a 4" (yes 4" not 98mm - can make a sleeve to adapt down) motor mount, the booster a 3" motor mount, then I would do a transition like GLR's 2 -stage to a 4" body with 54mm (call it 2" for style). Most importantly, I already have a name picked out - Countdown to Extinction. (Countdown - 4", 3", 2" - Extinction - not really a fatalist, but this will be a tough one to pull off and Megadeth has a song by that name.)

Countdown to Extinction.jpg

countdown-2.jpg

Has anyone had problems with the joint between the body tube and the boat tail cracking ?

I see that the Talon 4 recomends putting FG cloth on the joint.

Has this been an issue on the Eagle Claw 4 ?

I don't have this kit , but have a scratch built kit that has a FG boat tail on it. I used an Aero-pack style retainer that takes the abuse of the landings. What you could do to help the problem would be to either use a bigger chute or fill the boat tail with some foam. I hate using the foam because it is soo messy, but sometimes it's the best remedy available...

JD

Has anyone had problems with the joint between the body tube and the boat tail cracking ?

I see that the Talon 4 recomends putting FG cloth on the joint.

Has this been an issue on the Eagle Claw 4 ?

My wife's Eagle Claw has flow 4 times & no cracking yet. She sanded real good with 40 grit & drilled some 1/8" holes in the sleeve of the boat tail. Put it together with epoxy & silica, the holes allow the epoxy & silica to lock the boat tail on real good. Also she uses a 60" Skyangle to set it down nice & soft.

Mike

Back