Wildman Dark Star "Extenze"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
As we were reminded for so many years on late night TV (but didn't want to admit), size matters...

200908152151.jpg

Yes, I need a few more inches... In my Dark Star that is (although I guess even that could be misconstrued :confused2:).

Let me explain. This rocket, my Dark Star "Extreme" built for LDRS33...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1398383655.376952.jpg

And which smoldered so effectively before it's perfect flight... (A little bit of performance anxiety I think -- but that's another problem :facepalm:.)

[YOUTUBE]nxXS6Yiks0Y[/YOUTUBE]

...is actually not a Dark Star Extreme but a regular Dark Star Dual Deploy with an "extreme upgrade" including carbon laminated fins and beefed up fin can, along with the 75mm MMT. The problem now comes in when there are rumors in the air of a 4" dia./3" hole Sparky drag race at MWP12. I found this out in some insomniatic playing with Rocksim last night wanting to put my M2050SK, 7600 case into this thing. The 44" booster provided with the stock Dark Star 4" just doesn't cut it.

2014-08-09 09.06.44.jpg

Well I could go "caveman" and have the rear of the motor hanging out in the wind (with appropriate friction fit of course). Although this may be acceptable to CJ or the Wildman himself, this solution is just a little too raw for me :eyepop:.

Darkstar4_DD_75mm_RAW.jpg truck_nuts1.jpg

Thus the Wildman Dark Star "Extenze" project. And, not being an experienced fiberglass extreme flyer, the reason for the post... I need some feedback on this approach from "fiberglass junkies." My thought here is to build an "Extenze" out of a 9" coupler and 9" airframe piece. The "Extenze" would be inserted into the fore booster hole :blush:. I see this piece being removable to go back to the standard airframe when not accommodating big black motors :no:. Simple really, the "Extenze" is the gold member shown in the before and after pics below:

Darkstar4_DD_75mm.jpg Darkstar4_DD_75mm_EXTND.jpg

Attachment of the "Extenze" is via six #6 stainless screws two each fore/aft in the coupler area and evenly spaced (lining up with fins) hopefully to reduce any tilt/shifting in the "Extenze". The av-bay then fits as normal with the aft bulkplate coming to rest right on the lip of the fore edge of the "Extenze" coupler. Growing 9", my 7600 case is accommodated and I can use the Aeropack retainer as planned and not go "caveman." So my questions to the "fiberglass junkies"... Do you see this as a viable solution? Will the "Extenze" work in the 1.5 Mach range? Are there other alternatives or additions you would suggest?

Darkstar4_DD_75mm_EXTND_wmot.jpg

Again, any help/input from the Wildman FG crowd is appreciated.

Oh, and don't be a weenie and forget, as apparently I did, size matters...

[YOUTUBE]mZxdDG1Gs6I[/YOUTUBE]

** THIS POST HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE FDA AND RESULTS MAY VARY **

Last edited:
Yes it will work fine, mine handled the mighty N-10,000.

I just did a bit of a twist to the install .

Rather then having mounting holes in my fin can. [which would show when not using the extenze]

I hold the assembly onto the av-bay with rivets [screws in your case].

So it goes..... coupler held on airframe ext. with rivets or you could just glue it..... then held on av-bay, with rivets.

So I have lengthened the the upper section and it all goes into fin can as normal.

What ever you choose it should be OK.

I would be in on a DS skid mark drag race at MWP!

It's been a long time & way overdue for a "Spark Drag race" of this caliber!!!:grin::grin:

100_4191.jpg

This could work for my circumsized Ultimate Darkstar less 1 foot. It crashed at URRF during my L3 attempt and the lower booster section was damaged beyond repair. Tim gave me a good deal on a complete booster section but 1 foot shorter. But it's nice to have that versatility of being a fully grown darkstar when called for.

smilin-bob.gif

Much more subtle than the commercial, wouldn't you say...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410717683.645339.jpg ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410717698.066593.jpg

And the Extenze unit in place along with the big sparky motor slated for the MWP12 drag race.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410717773.007632.jpg

Back