Ho Hum, nuther 3NCB Flight--3 Dog Night post 12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4031.jpgIMG_4030.jpgIMG_4033.jpgIMG_4032.jpgTeaser Part 2
Okay, painted and decorated. Hint: The dowel is critical.
Yes, those are slippers. Intended for scale.

I'm guessing TopRamen and der Micromeister will be all over this one.

Attachments

• IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4029.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 83
IMG_4034.jpgIMG_4035.jpgIMG_4036.jpg

Next clue. The black stripes are a hint.

Only 11,000 more views and I catch up with 20 Million Miles to Earth!

IMG_4041.jpgIMG_4040.jpgIMG_4039.jpgIMG_4038.jpgIMG_4037.jpgOkay, here is the final rocket. The "windowed" booster with the curled internal fins will provide horizontal spin recovery for the booster, so the central dowel doesn't prang the ground.
The central dowel itself is there to provide an internal support for the three sustainers. Otherwise these tend to flare outward, as seen on the Cerberus 3, an earlier rendition.

Last edited:
IMG_4055 (2).jpg

Success (sort of)
1. Arrow Straight Boost--- no obvious rotation
2. All three Sustainers Lit (yay!)
3. 2 sustainers had parachute malfunctions. One completely failed to eject and came in ballistic (not sure why, I thought I was extremely careful on packing all three and wadding and shock cord and chute all seemed "loose", nose cone not too tight, just don't know. Fin "can" popped off, but repairable) One ejected nose cone and laundry, but chute failed to open, so came in "nose blow" with no damage. Third had perfect deployment and recovery. Interestingly this was the "lowest" of the three on the "stack".
4. Perfect horizontal spin recovery of the Booster, rotates around the axis, so the "launch rod" never actually hits the ground. No damage to booster even though landed on asphalt.
the "glitch" in the video is intentional, I edited out an unintended expletive related to the ballistic recovery of one of the sustainers. I do understand we try to keep this a family friendly forum.

first video is just the launch, showing straight boost and ignition of all 3 sustainers. Second is the "long" version, shows the successful recovery of booster with Horizontal Spin, one parachute on a sustainer (it's there, but it's tiny-- just to prove it did work.)
[video=youtube;tZGEvEvbaZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGEvEvbaZg[/video]
[video=youtube;NjUuBvU1WuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjUuBvU1WuQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back