Upscale Patriot Goony

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drilled a 5/32" hole for the #12 wood screw. Using my handy-dandy self centering center punch, I punched the other three holes, and drilled them. Then attached the face plate to the basswood with the remaining three screws.

87_basswood.jpg

88_punch.jpg

89_punch.jpg

90_face_plate.jpg

93_face_plate.jpg

Since it will require nose weight, even with the solid basswood cone, I decided to drill a big hole for the resin, BB's, and eyebolt. Somehow the 1" spade bit caught in the hole and got bent. It was kind of exciting with the block spinning around like that. Never had that happen before!

94_hole.jpg

95_hole.jpg

96_bent.jpg

97_bent.jpg

98_bent.jpg

Drilling very carefully, I finished off the hole with a 15/16" spade bit. I trimmed the corners off the block so that there would be less wood to remove, then mounted it on the lathe.

99_hole.jpg

100_hole.jpg

101_basswood.jpg

102_lathe.jpg

103_lathe.jpg

After I finished roughing it, I sanded it with some 80 grit to see how it looked. Very nice! So far, so good. I marked the 1-1/2" shoulder, and will start on that next.

109_lathe.jpg

110_sanded.jpg

111_shoulder.jpg

I cut a 1/2" piece of body tube to act as a "sacrificial" sizing guide, both for the shoulder and the nose cone itself. Then started cutting the shoulder.

112_body_tube.jpg

113_body_tube.jpg

114_body_tube.jpg

115_shoulder.jpg

116_shoulder.jpg

After I finished the shoulder, I started shaping the cone. Still so far, so good.

117_shoulder.jpg

118_shaping.jpg

119_shaping.jpg

120_shaping.jpg

121_shaping.jpg

I finished shaping it with 60 grit, then sanded it smooth with 240 grit. I was going to turn this as a short ogive, but I'm so happy with the shape of the elliptical, I decided to call it good. Yeah, you could say I chickened out, but you guys did like the elliptical better.

I like it! I like it a lot! Okay Carl, you were right.

122_shaping.jpg

124_shaping.jpg

125_sanded.jpg

126_sanded.jpg

127_sanded.jpg

When I first put the nose cone in the rocket, I giggled like a little girl. To say I'm happy with it is an understatement! Thank you Carl and everyone else for encouraging me to take this risk. I think I might go ahead and try to turn a second one, this time the short ogive. I do still have another piece of body tube...

128_nose_cone.jpg

129_nose_cone.jpg

133_nose_cone.jpg

134_nose_cone.jpg

Last edited:
Your cone looks great captain! I see a whole new phase to your addiction underway!

Nice work, now I know where to get a 12" Big Bertha nose cone .........

Your cone looks great captain! I see a whole new phase to your addiction underway!

I don't know, I might turn another cone or two. I still need to finish the first one I started a long time ago, for an upscale X-Ray. That one is balsa.

Nice work, now I know where to get a 12" Big Bertha nose cone .........

You'd better get yourself a bigger lathe than I have! Mine's not big enough to turn a 12" cone.

Very, very nice work!
(But, don't ever admit you giggled like a little girl.)

Last edited:
That turned out beautiful Jim...BRAVO my friend !!

I too would have giggled out loud, and not care who heard me LOL

I need a lathe !!!!!!!!

Paul T

Very, very nice work!
(But, don't ever admit you giggled like a little girl.)

I was so happy I was out of control. LOL

That turned out beautiful Jim...BRAVO my friend !!

I too would have giggled out loud, and not care who heard me LOL

I need a lathe !!!!!!!!

Paul T

Thank you, Paul! Yes, you do, in fact need a lathe! Considering some of your projects, you'd better get a big one...

I decided to get the nose weight out of the way, so I can hopefully paint the nose cone this afternoon. I needed to add 4oz of weight, so I weighed out 3oz of BB's to allow for the weight of the resin. I'll be embedding the eyebolt in the resin, too.

135_nose_weight.jpg

136_nose_weight.jpg

137_nose_weight.jpg

138_eyebolt.jpg

139_eyebolt.jpg

I mixed up the resin and poured it over the BB's and eyebolt.

141_nose_weight.jpg

142_resin.jpg

143_resin.jpg

145_nose_weight.jpg

146_nose_weight.jpg

I was hoping to get 1oz of resin, but the most I could put in was 0.75oz. I think it'll be enough. I always mix too much resin, I need to get better at estimating. I also painted the gloss white on the rocket.

147_nose_weight.jpg

148_nose_weight.jpg

149_resin.jpg

150_white.jpg

151_white.jpg

Jim ,do you prefer using that easy cast resin versus epoxy ?

Can you tell me more about the product and where you purchase it ?

Thankyou !!

Paul t

Jim ,do you prefer using that easy cast resin versus epoxy ?

Can you tell me more about the product and where you purchase it ?

Thankyou !!

Paul t

I've only ever used the Easy Cast for nose weight. It says it's casting epoxy, but I suppose one of these days I should get some Aeropoxy. I haven't had any problems with the Easy Cast, though. I like it because it's fairly thin, but it does take a good amount of time to cure. I've used it for several different rockets now. I usually get it at Michael's, with the 40% off coupon, of course. But this last time I ordered it from Hobby Lobby, only because they were offering a free shipping deal. I got 40% off of it, too. Here is some information from Tap Plastics:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product...ing_products/easycast_clear_casting_epoxy/386

I've only ever used the Easy Cast for nose weight. It says it's casting epoxy, but I suppose one of these days I should get some Aeropoxy. I haven't had any problems with the Easy Cast, though. I like it because it's fairly thin, but it does take a good amount of time to cure. I've used it for several different rockets now. I usually get it at Michael's, with the 40% off coupon, of course. But this last time I ordered it from Hobby Lobby, only because they were offering a free shipping deal. I got 40% off of it, too. Here is some information from Tap Plastics:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product...ing_products/easycast_clear_casting_epoxy/386

Thanks Jim ,we have a Michaels here ,so I may check it out ,I like trying new products so this is a good candidate.

Cheers

Paul T

This time I took a picture of the nose cone before I sprayed it with sanding sealer so you could see the difference. Boy, this nose cone sure is pretty. I love the figured grain. It's almost a shame to paint over it.

152_nose_cone.jpg

153_nose_cone.jpg

154_nose_cone.jpg

155_nose_cone.jpg

156_nose_cone.jpg

But paint it I did. Primer first, then gloss white. I am absolutely amazed at how smooth it is. That is some really fine grained wood.

157_nose_cone.jpg

158_nose_cone.jpg

159_nose_cone.jpg

160_nose_cone.jpg

I printed the decals out on the laser printer at work, then cut one out to check the alignment. I'm glad I did, as you can see it's way off. I must have done something to it when I resized it. I have Photoshop, but I haven't figured out yet how to fix it.

161_decal.jpg

162_decal.jpg

163_decal.jpg

I am just thrilled with this nose cone! I still can't get over how well it turned out. It's hard to believe that rough chunk of wood evolved into this near perfect nose cone.

Attachments

• 121_shaping.jpg
    121_shaping.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 160_nose_cone.jpg
    160_nose_cone.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 103_lathe.jpg
    103_lathe.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back