Is pvc good to use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody Peffley

Reaction score
Is pvc good to use for low powered rockets? I've want to make a red and black rocket with heat resistance inside to protect the engines and nozzles from getting burnt. But Im looking foward to upgrading the rocket even more later on in the future. Depends on how good it is.. But is pvc good for rockets?

They aren't all that good to use, as PVC does put a lot of weight on the rocket. Im not sure what you should use to make it heat resistant, but its made to not melt. when it comes down from the sky, just wipe the nozzle and motor mount with a slightly damp washcloth to keep it looking nice if it is burnt. PVC pipe is definitely not a good idea for a low powered rocket. It might not seem to weigh much, but that weight can cause an unsafe flight because the weight of it will move the center of gravity, and might make the rocket unstable.

They aren't all that good to use, as PVC does put a lot of weight on the rocket. Im not sure what you should use to make it heat resistant, but its made to not melt. when it comes down from the sky, just wipe the nozzle and motor mount with a slightly damp washcloth to keep it looking nice if it is burnt. PVC pipe is definitely not a good idea for a low powered rocket. It might not seem to weigh much, but that weight can cause an unsafe flight because the weight of it will move the center of gravity, and might make the rocket unstable.
Oh I have paint that stands up to over 2000 f and makes it so the metal or object doesn't gets burned. But what can I build then? I can't buy any carbon fiber or metal over here. So Im kinda limited on resources. I know im using a 1000 mah rc battery for altimeter and mph gauge.

Oh I have paint that stands up to over 2000 f and makes it so the metal or object doesn't gets burned. But what can I build then? I can't buy any carbon fiber or metal over here. So Im kinda limited on resources. I know im using a 1000 mah rc battery for altimeter and mph gauge.

Paint that withstands 2000 F won't protect the material underneath it.

Where is "over here" such that you cannot buy any metal or carbon fiber, but you can get an R/C car battery?

I've used PVC for body tubes as well as motor tubes. I wouldn't recomend using a PVC motor tube with a slow burn motor, too hot too long. I use a rough sanding drum to cut the surface and raise a "tooth" for the epoxy to get a good grip on. The guys at the building materials centers give me strange looks when I start rolling tubes to get straight ones. :)

I really wouldn't recommend going with PVC for our first rocket- IMO it would be best to start out with standard paper body tubes designed for LPR. With standard LPR motors heat isn't so much of an issue as they are pretty well insulated by the cardboard, as well as the fact that normal Estes LPR motors burn for roughly 2 seconds.

I'm also not so sure about adding avionics to your first LPR- fly it without them first, then add them later, having simulated for stability with them first. A good program on which to do this is https://openrocket.sourceforge.net/, which also happens to be free.

You mentioned nozzles- with Estes BP LPR motors the nozzle is contained within the motor, and is not reused after the flight- you just buy a new motor and throw the old one away.

https://www.baddazzrocketry.com/BAR/Home.html

They make some good PVC kits. As long as it sims fine and you aren't expecting major CATOs, they can be done. Not a big fan of PVC, but the kits above are pretty nice. I bought a Mystic for night launches.

Thanks for the mention Cavecentral! I admit PVC is tricky to work with for LPR but it can be done. If I can help you just PM me.

PVC is great stuff and the solids slide right on through. It's easier to work with than cast iron, but cast iron is quieter and muzzles flush noises much better.

PVC is great stuff and the solids slide right on through. It's easier to work with than cast iron, but cast iron is quieter and muzzles flush noises much better.

I had to read that twice to understand what you meant. Is that a good thing?

PVC pipe comes in various thicknesses. Schedule 40 (pretty standard in US) is somewhat thick and would be kind of heavy for LPR, but Schedule 20 might be readily available and is thinner and lighter.

...With standard LPR motors heat isn't so much of an issue as they are pretty well insulated by the cardboard, as well as the fact that normal Estes LPR motors burn for roughly 2 seconds...

I have had a couple of minimum diameter (19mm) low power rockets, like an Estes Hi-Flier, where the paint just above the motor gets blistered after 5 or 6 flights. I assume that is caused by heat from the ejection charge.

I have had a couple of minimum diameter (19mm) low power rockets, like an Estes Hi-Flier, where the paint just above the motor gets blistered after 5 or 6 flights. I assume that is caused by heat from the ejection charge.

I've never had that problem with min-diameter rockets- I think it depends on what paint you use, as each different type has different heat tolerances.

These are PVC:

This is a Bad Azz Myzztic:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?52905-Bad-Azz-Myzztic&highlight=Myzztic

This one was inspired by the Myzztic:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?56720-Introducing-NUCLEAR-FALLOUT

The more I work with PVC, the more I like it. It’s tough so smaller chutes will do the job. It’s chemical resistant so if you mess up a paint job, you can wash it off with lacquer thinner and start over. It sands smooth, and it’s easy to get an outstanding finish.

Not all PVC is created equal. In the smaller diameters, the inside and outside texture of the pipe is fairly equal among the manufacturers. As you move up in size this is not the case. So, if you’re going for a great finish, find smooth pipe. Yes PVC will sand, but it’s also abrasion resistant so it sands very slowly.

In addition, you’ll need the thin wall pipe. This pipe is not rated as a pressure pipe, and is commonly referred to as drain pipe. The pressure pipe is much thicker and far heavier.

Another thing to keep in mind is that PVC pipe is measured on the ID. As such, standard rocket parts will not adapt. So If you’re going to work with PVC, it’s a good idea to have a lathe and a dividing head, or know someone who does. This will pay dividends when it comes to making retainers, nose cones, and centering rings.

I’m thinking all of my scratch builds going forward will be PVC. Unfortunately, this restricts me to 3 inch, as this is the safe limit of my lathe.

Last edited:
These are PVC:

This is a Bad Azz Myzztic:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?52905-Bad-Azz-Myzztic&highlight=Myzztic

This one was inspired by the Myzztic:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?56720-Introducing-NUCLEAR-FALLOUT

The more I work with PVC, the more I like it. It’s tough so smaller chutes will do the job. It’s chemical resistant so if you mess up a paint job, you can wash it off with lacquer thinner and start over. It sands smooth, and it’s easy to get an outstanding finish.

Not all PVC is created equal. In the smaller diameters, the inside and outside texture of the pipe is fairly equal among the manufacturers. As you move up in size this is not the case. So, if you’re going for a great finish, find smooth pipe. Yes PVC will sand, but it’s also abrasion resistant so it sands very slowly.

In addition, you’ll need the thin wall pipe. This pipe is not rated as a pressure pipe, and is commonly referred to as drain pipe. The pressure pipe is much thicker and far heavier.

Another thing to keep in mind is that PVC pipe is measured on the ID. As such, standard rocket parts will not adapt. So If you’re going to work with PVC, it’s a good idea to have a lathe and a dividing head, or know someone who does. This will pay dividends when it comes to making retainers, nose cones, and centering rings.

I’m thinking all of my scratch builds going forward will be PVC. Unfortunately, this restricts me to 3 inch, as this is the safe limit of my lathe.

One cool thing about the sizes is the 4" rocket tubing fits inside 4" PVC drain pipe perfectly. I have built 4" rockets that the guts slide in and out of. Fins for these have been surface mounted with fiberglass to keep them on, I've never lost one. Payload bays so easy to make up. Problem is cones. I used a plastic one on my 6x RAMJET, it came off while the rocket was under thrust. I got 2 cones from CP Technologies in balsa that fit right, no more problems like that ;)

...for making launch stands. You can leave the corners unglued so the stand breaks down to fit into your car (or closet) more easily. It's cheap stuff and easy to work with. It is not too heavy, so the launcher is not impossible to move around.

But PVC has no place in model rocket motors, airframes, or any other flying parts.

There are soooooooo many properly designed, properly built motors and kits available out there, why in the heck would you want to handicap yourself with something as lousy as PVC? It is heavier than the real rocketry components. It is weak at room temp, and gets way worse fast when it gets warm. It does not fit any other standardized rocket parts or motor mounts. OBTW, it is also kinda DANGEROUS when it shatters. Stay away.

...for making launch stands. You can leave the corners unglued so the stand breaks down to fit into your car (or closet) more easily. It's cheap stuff and easy to work with. It is not too heavy, so the launcher is not impossible to move around.

But PVC has no place in model rocket motors, airframes, or any other flying parts.

There are soooooooo many properly designed, properly built motors and kits available out there, why in the heck would you want to handicap yourself with something as lousy as PVC? It is heavier than the real rocketry components. It is weak at room temp, and gets way worse fast when it gets warm. It does not fit any other standardized rocket parts or motor mounts. OBTW, it is also kinda DANGEROUS when it shatters. Stay away.

...gee, wish I'd have know this before I Confirmed then got my 2nd & 3rd levels with it...just saying...

...gee, wish I'd have know this before I Confirmed then got my 2nd & 3rd levels with it...just saying...

The guy asking the question was talking about his first ever model rocket- there are far better materials to start with than PVC.

Pvc is certainly good for airframes for rockets. It is a tough and durable material.
I have had a Mizz Rhonda drop from over 7k feet drogue less and a main failure, the air frame was recover in tact.
I hear a lot about it being heavy but that is not true.Is Schedule 40 heavy? YES!
Look beyond that size and you will discover viable sizes that will perform quite well past mach.
What is heavy in most rockets is the vast amounts of epoxy and foam used to build 90% of the kits out there.
My point is a lot of the weight issue is the build technique of the traditional kit brought forth from "Estes" style rocket kits.

I would rather have a pvc airframe built my way over fiberglass/paper/phenolic built the old way.
Though all of them are good airframes it comes down to MY choice for the project.
I sell PVC and Fiberglass kits. I have no bias for either
To comment about pvc being only good to transport turds is immature. I'm willing to bet said commentators have never flown a pvc rocket.
They would rather simply rely on hear say.

In closing I hope you try pvc.
I hope you try paper and fiberglass too!
Don't let any one in this hobby tell you what is best for you.
YOU DECIDE!
I like some one who thinks for themselves and doesn't squawk rhino farts.
Do it your way, learn from it and move forward!

Last edited:
The guy asking the question was talking about his first ever model rocket- there are far better materials to start with than PVC.

he said he have an altimeter, so what make you think it's his first rocket.

To comment about pvc being only good to transport turds is immature. I'm willing to bet said commentators have never flown a pvc rocket.
They would rather simply rely on hear say.

+110 , the web is full of those peoples who just copy and paste what they found on Google. We usually never see pics of what they do

I've built a number of rocket airframes using PVC. In fact, the predecessor to my Guillotine Fin Jig was a device I created for the specific purpose of gluing PVC fins to a PVC body tube using standard PVC plumbing cleaners and cement, as this is difficult without a third set of hands. (see attachment) Through this exercise I discovered that nominal 1" SDR 21 PVC (thin wall pipe) will nicely accept a 29 mm motor casing and is ideal for a nearly minimum diameter airframe. I've made and flown a number of such rockets.

I've also built and tested a number of ANCP motors based upon the criteria contained in John Wickman's (CP Technologies) bookset on the subject. I think the claims that PVC is too hazardous to be used as motor casings are greatly exaggerated and not based on first hand experience. (see video)

And yes, PVC is an excellent material for the transfer of solid waste, AKA "turds". :D

Fin Jig.GIF

[video=youtube;mUtiGxgX4g0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtiGxgX4g0[/video]

:surprised:

he said he have an altimeter, so what make you think it's his first rocket.

He didn't say he had an altimeter, merely that he intended to have one in his rocket. From experience, most people new to rocketry want to put an altimeter and speedo in their first rocket.

What makes me believe he is new to rocketry is the fact that he said that he 'wants to protect the engine and nozzle from getting burnt.' Most rocketeers I know wouldn't say that.

Probably the best way to end this is discussion is ask if this is his first rocket. Brody, is this your first model rocket?

Did one of my posts get deleted, or did I forget to past it?

If posts are deleted I think there's a skip in the post count. I gotta tell you, though, I have several times written out something kinda long and screwed up not getting it posted :p I usually just move on...

If posts are deleted I think there's a skip in the post count. I gotta tell you, though, I have several times written out something kinda long and screwed up not getting it posted :p I usually just move on...

Imagine that, I had another absent minded moment.:facepalm:

Back