OpenRocket issue with multiple stages

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest release, 13.05, is giving me an error when I try to run a simulation on either of my 3-stage models:

"An error occurred during the simulation:
Simulation values exceeded limits. Try selecting a shorter time step."

View attachment 130756

When I open the same file in 12.09.1, I don't get the error and it simulates fine.

It is the same on two systems, both Win 7 Pro x64, one Intel platform, one AMD.

I created new files in 13.05 and have the same issue.

Here are two files with this symptom:

View attachment 130757
View attachment 130758

If I delete both boosters and simulate the sustainer alone, it runs fine.

Have you tried...selecting a shorter time step?

It won't display time steps shorter than a certain value in the box once you hit enter (or something of that sort), but it will indeed compute with what you entered.

the earlier versions did not simulate the tumbling booster section(s), which I believe is what causes this to pop up.
rex

lol, I've gotten that msg with a single stage rocket too...course I was trying to simulate an estes streak(think 18mm version mosquito) with a D21 for a motor...:). one would be lucky to ever see that rocket again, assuming it didn't shred when it went supersonic.
rex

You're right. When I add parachutes to the booster sections, the problem is eliminated and the simulation runs fine.

Thanks for the idea! :handshake:

But still, you should be able to model something with tumbling boosters. Maybe some approximation needs to be made in the calculations so it doesn't overload.

The problem is the moment of separation: it needs more time resolution in order to detect when to switch from small-angle-of-attack approximations (straight up flight) to tumbling flight.

Back