As yet unnamed scratch build - now Running With Scissors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I like that Rustoleum 2x gloss apple red!

I love that color ,I`ll have to make a note of that gloss apple red ,would be great for my Mega Der Red Max.

That 2x rusto is great paint is it not !

That`s going to be a sharp looking rocket Jim ! (no pun intended)

Paul t

Like I did with Chopped, I put thin CA on the fin tips, hoping it will strengthen them. I also sprayed sanding sealer on the fins.

233_ca.jpg

234_ca.jpg

235_sealer.jpg

236_sealer.jpg

I drilled 5/32" holes for the rail buttons. It's always a good sign when you see sawdust coming from the holes. These are the one piece Delrin rail buttons from Dog House Rocketry.

243_rail_buttons.jpg

244_rail_buttons.jpg

246_rail_buttons.jpg

247_rail_buttons.jpg

249_rail_buttons.jpg

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, my method of painting the nose cone tip worked pretty good. I got a nice clean paint line from the tube. I was afraid the red paint would stick to the tube and peel when I removed it, but it didn't.

237_tip.jpg

238_tip.jpg

239_tip.jpg

240_tip.jpg

241_tip.jpg

The bad news is I got a nasty run in the black paint. I think the paint was thin from the heat, and I sprayed it too close and too heavy. The photos don't really show how bad it is. I'll have to let it cure for several days before I can sand and repaint it.

242_run.jpg

250_run.jpg

No problems with the primer. There were some rough spots on the body tube, but a little sanding took care of them.

252_primer.jpg

253_primer.jpg

255_primer.jpg

256_primer.jpg

But then I promptly got a run in the red. Same story, thin paint, too close and heavy. It's not nearly as bad as the nose cone, though. As soon as I noticed it, I laid the fin flat and it leveled out a bit.

257_run.jpg

258_run.jpg

It was pretty warm today. 98 degrees in my neck of the woods.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the imperfections showing up. Your bird is going to be a couple of hundred feet away from the flight line when it sits on the pad.

Only five or six months until Rocket Season begins again.

It was pretty warm today. 98 degrees in my neck of the woods.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the imperfections showing up. Your bird is going to be a couple of hundred feet away from the flight line when it sits on the pad.

Only five or six months until Rocket Season begins again.

Yeah, I have plenty of time to sand all the sags and runs.

Got some clean lines from the Delicate Surface tape again. That's some pretty good stuff! The spirals are very pronounced like I thought they'd be, but I'll just have to live with them.

272_reveal.jpg

274_reveal.jpg

275_reveal.jpg

276_reveal.jpg

277_reveal.jpg

The regular blue tape pulled off some of the red in a couple of spots. I'll touch them up with either a red Sharpie or get some brush on enamel.

278_spot.jpg

You can really see the runs on the nose cone in this light. The paint turned out okay overall. It's certainly not my worst paint job, but it's not my best, either. I'll fix the biggest boo-boos and call it good. On the plus side, I'm very happy with the color scheme and overall look of the rocket.

279_run.jpg

280_run.jpg

281_paint.jpg

282_paint.jpg

283_paint.jpg

Cool cool looking rocket Jim. Great name too. As for the paint, you cant see it from the firing line!

Runs are runs.....everybody gets them (you should see my MIM23 HAWK...brutal !)

Looks very nice just the same ,and not really that bad.

I must say, your technique for painting the tip of the nosecone is absolutely brilliant ! A very nice sharp demarcation line you won`t find better !

Take care

Paul T

The more I see this thing the more I think it looks like a piece of medieval weaponry. It's definitely scarey looking.

I installed the retainer with JB Weld. I also reinstalled the rail buttons.

286_jb_weld.jpg

287_jb_weld.jpg

290_jb_weld.jpg

291_rail_buttons.jpg

292_rail_buttons.jpg

The more I see this thing the more I think it looks like a piece of medieval weaponry. It's definitely scarey looking.

Yeah, it's amazing what a different look the fin shape and tail cone give it.

Cool cool looking rocket Jim. Great name too. As for the paint, you cant see it from the firing line!

Thanks Bill! You're right, of course, and if a launch was coming up soon I wouldn't sweat it. But since I have several months, I might as well try and fix it.

Runs are runs.....everybody gets them (you should see my MIM23 HAWK...brutal !)

Looks very nice just the same ,and not really that bad.

I must say, your technique for painting the tip of the nosecone is absolutely brilliant ! A very nice sharp demarcation line you won`t find better !

Take care

Paul T

Thanks Paul. I really didn't know if it would work, I was afraid the cardboard would absorb the paint and give me a jagged line. But it worked better than I had hoped.

LOOKS WICKED!
UM, how-bout leave the paint runs and use Paint Drip Font for the "Running" word or all of it...Get it ..Running,paint ..runs...yuk,ayuk,ayuk. :lol: :facepalm:

Or call it "Running with PAINT!" It will be a TRF inside joke.

running with paint.jpg

Last edited:
Back