minie magg motor suggestions ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genzod

Reaction score
im building a minie magg, i have the cessaroni 38 reload kit that comes with a 3 and 6 grain casing and the inserts , what would be some good 38 mm motors to fly in the h and i size ? and what delays would you set ? thanks

How did you build it?

This one is light epoxy, 3.3 on the pad. G77R kicked off nicely... G76G also kicks ass. Punching it HPR will happen this summer after some...erm...repairs...

6232456097_1bedb7fba2_z.jpg
6232476619_5188f837c9_z.jpg
6233001854_8b8c2ec5b1_b.jpg
8196914788_ce327dcd54_c.jpg
8195821001_3dbc9718b9_c.jpg
8195819595_d1735477f0_b.jpg
8196912180_881a11e591_c.jpg

I don't think I've seen a motor that wouldn't work with the Minnie mag...

Just watch your cg/cp and ensure stability off the rail and your good.

I'd use a CTI classic motor. The mid thrust, mid length burn, and light amount of smoke will cause a cool swirling action underneath the rocket on takeoff. Garuntee you'll love it.

Same can be said for any motor, however.

Anyone fly this little gem on a Loki G80? Rocksim suggest that it's a little wiggly off the rail but I have been told that motor kicks like a mule.

How did you build it?

This one is light epoxy, 3.3 on the pad. G77R kicked off nicely... G76G also kicks ass. Punching it HPR will happen this summer after some...erm...repairs...

Did you add any additional powder to the ejection charge? Looking to fly mine this weekend on a G80T. I added 5oz of nose weight.

Put a J285 in it and hold on! Did that for my NAR L2 shot!

Anyone tried the CTI G54 Red Longburn? Wondering if it has enough to get it going fast enough off the rail.

Anyone tried the CTI G54 Red Longburn? Wondering if it has enough to get it going fast enough off the rail.

All depends on final weight, wind, and guide length/ type.

Build it with wood glue, no eyebolts or quick links, and friction fit motor retention. Use the provided elastic, some wadding, and a 36" chute. Add some rail buttons and fly it on a calm day off of a 6' to 8' rail. If you do all of the above, a G64W may work. I'd have to look at the G54 thrust curve, but that is a long shot.

All depends on final weight, wind, and guide length/ type.

Build it with wood glue, no eyebolts or quick links, and friction fit motor retention. Use the provided elastic, some wadding, and a 36" chute. Add some rail buttons and fly it on a calm day off of a 6' to 8' rail. If you do all of the above, a G64W may work. I'd have to look at the G54 thrust curve, but that is a long shot.

The G54 has more kick off the rail than the G64, or at least the older one-grain version for which the thrust curve is available.

Pad weight 3 pounds or less on a 6' rail in winds 5 mph or less and you're good to go.

Bigger H's through I's. Haven't thrown a big big I in it or a J. Last flight was an I-212 w/ a 9 second delay, if memory serves...

Later!

--Coop

Pad weight 3 pounds or less on a 6' rail in winds 5 mph or less and you're good to go.

Based on personal experience, if you meet all three of Bob's criteria that's fine otherwise forget it.

G's are fine but they have to be high-thrust in all but calm winds with this beast. Even some smaller H's I am a little leery of. This is a great rocket but it needs to be up to a decent velocity when it leaves the rail. And for whatever reason, Minnie Mags are prone to rod-whip. Probably due to their size and undersized lugs included in the kit. ALWAYS put this on a rail if you can help it.

To the OP, almost any of the motors for the Pro38 3g ought to be fine for a stock-built Magg which should see 2300 to 2600 on those. The reloads for the 6g case are fine as well but noseweight might be needed. Those are small J motors and they are going to put it up around 3600 or so which is a loooooong way up IMHO for single deploy but that depends on your field and how good your eyes are. ;)

I'd agree Dave....we had one put up on an Aerotech G138....Wasn't really high, but did fine. This is a nice kit....may have to add one to my fleet sometime.

Used to beat mine up with a Loki I316 spitfire. Flew it three times with it and it 'coned' all three times. Thought it was going to lose the fins on the first one! Awesome flight, just needed plenty of field for recovery.

Man I love those Loki motors.

T -

Anyone fly this little gem on a Loki G80? Rocksim suggest that it's a little wiggly off the rail but I have been told that motor kicks like a mule.

Are you running sims with a 6' or 8' rail? I know the club has both, Grouch.

Did you add any additional powder to the ejection charge? Looking to fly mine this weekend on a G80T. I added 5oz of nose weight.

I didn't add anything, but my nosecone fits pretty loose. I use four second delays, and they blow early. However seven may get hairy.

Last year I attempted my NAR L2 with my "Monster Minie Magg."
On a Ceseroni J285 the flight was straight and true. Unfortunately, upon recovery, a thermal caught it and I think my Monster probably landed some place in Russia. :facepalm:
I estimate the altitude was slightly over 3,000'. I strongly recommend a large field if you plan on using a 38mm motor.
Mark at Stickershock23.com was responsible for the detailed body wrap. And I am planning on building a sister ship to replace the one I lost.
minie magg.jpg

I used a cessaroni h 123 skidmark, it was windy, it flew off rail good then did a 45 degree angle and didnt het altitude Nd didnt eject in time, lawn darted and was destroyed, I dont want a repeat performance, why im asking, thanks guys

I used a cessaroni h 123 skidmark, it was windy, it flew off rail good then did a 45 degree angle and didnt het altitude Nd didnt eject in time, lawn darted and was destroyed, I dont want a repeat performance, why im asking, thanks guys

Are you using motor ejection? On some of the smaller motors getting the delay correct can be tricky. Any simulation will assume you went straight up. Altimeters help with taking guesswork out of it. I think my perfectflites require a minimum of 300ft to arm.

Are you using motor ejection? On some of the smaller motors getting the delay correct can be tricky. Any simulation will assume you went straight up. Altimeters help with taking guesswork out of it. I think my perfectflites require a minimum of 300ft to arm.

Not necessarily. In both OR and RS will both allow for the addition of cross wind which significantly reduce the final altitude. Also, it is just good rocketry practice to make sure delays are adjusted to account for cross winds. You can also change the launch rod angle if desired. In this case, genzods rocket sounds like it was a victim of rod whip - not weather cocking. Also, the Minnie Magg is not set up for dual deploy or even single deploy via altimeter. So mounting one in there is a bit of a challenge. I should know as I am trying to do that very thing on a Minnie.

When you launch in wind, you need to select a motor that generates a lift-off thrust to weight ratio equal to the wind speed in MPH to prevent severe weather cocking.

A stock MinieMagg should weigh between 3 to 3.3 pounds with a Pro38 G motor if not overbuilt. It needs a motor with a lift-off thrust not less than 15 to 17 pounds (67 to 76 N) for the first 0.3 seconds on a 6' or longer rail to get up enough airspeed to be aerodynamically stable in winds to 5 mph. The required lift-off thrust requirement doubles if the wind is gusting to 10 mph, triples if the wind gusts to 15 mph and quadruples if the wind is gusting to 20 mph. Yes, it means you need 300 N of lift-off thrust for a Minie-Magg if the wind is gusting to 20 mph to prevent severe weathercocking. See https://www.nar.org/pdf/launchsafe.pdf for the math.

For example, on a CTI 255H400-6 in a 20 mph wind, the apogee will be about 900', but you'll have an ~1800' walk to pick it up after the flight. Sometimes it's better not to launch.

Bob

Agreed, im not flying the mm unless its very calm, and usimg a good size h when I do at least

I stay away from the Skids and Smokey Sams when flying my Magg. They just dont have the punch off the pad to put a 'fatty' like
the Magg up into a breeze-especially my Magg which has 12 oz of lead in the nose. I prefer white thunders(even the 2 grain on a
relatively calm day) and red lightnings 3 and 4 grains. And yes, as Bob said, there will be days when you have to walk a bit, but
oddly, I never mind walking for my Magg.

After reading these Magg threads, I'm half-tempted to build another, just to see how I'd do it differently now.

Later!

--Coop

After reading these Magg threads, I'm half-tempted to build another, just to see how I'd do it differently now.

I recently ordered a second one. Plan is to build that one lightly for mid power, and repair my current one which took some fin damage for high power. likely to involve my first foray into doing tip to tip. Just ordered some proline 4100. We'll see how that goes. Trying to figure out if it's possible/practical to add a few 29 mm mounts.

Last edited:
Back