OnyxDD: my first dual deployment rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
Although I have experience with electronics in rockets (R/C gliders mostly), this is my first dual-deployment rocket.

The basis is an Onyx I built almost a year ago but never flew (its original purpose was electronics testbed). I add an A/V bay and a 10" payload section. PerfectFlite MAWD triggers apogee and main events.

I use a 1/4" phono jack as a switch (an excuse to use that "Remove Before Flight" streamer).

A double-side Velcro strip holds the rechargeable 9V battery from vibrating loose during flight.

Pretty straightforward setup.

I'm planning to fly this at Moffett this coming Saturday on something like a G77R (sims to 900-odd feet) with main at 300'.

Ari.

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Ari, very cool setup. What are you using for the charge canisters/holders and what kind of igniters?

I like the "Remove Before Flight" streamer. Makes it cooler.

By chance do you have pictures of the switch wiring? I also have several of these flags that I'd like to use. In the past I have put the flags on a 1/4-20 bolt and pressed it into the vent hole. At the pad, I remove the screw and then arm the altimeters.

By chance do you have pictures of the switch wiring? I also have several of these flags that I'd like to use. In the past I have put the flags on a 1/4-20 bolt and pressed it into the vent hole. At the pad, I remove the screw and then arm the altimeters.

You can sort of see it in the one-before-last photo, though it's inside and dark. I'm using a RadioShack "cosed circuit" jack (https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103379). The photo on their site is of a different ("open circuit") jack. Another name for this is "switching jack." It disconnects the internal speaker when you plug in your headphones, "switching" between the two outputs. The RS part is a normally-closed switch. The plug opens the switch disconnecting the battery. When I pull the plug (pun intended), the switch closes back up. Here's an illustration of a heavier-duty version that demonstrates the principle (this one is a double-throw switch, whereas mine is single-throw): https://www.mzentertainment.com/store_pp_images/dzw_store_jack_trs_switchcraft_000008_zoom.jpg

Hey Ari, very cool setup. What are you using for the charge canisters/holders and what kind of igniters?

I have some whatchamacallem from Jim Hendricksen (blackjack2564). Burnt a bunch of them trying to work out Tubularity deployment. Canisters are simply ziplock baggies with masking tape on them.

Ari.

Hmm...
i guess that onyx I got from my secret Santa needs a slight upgrade.

:dark:

My first dual deploy setup was very similar, also built off of a LOC Onyx. I used an Adept 22 altimeter and flew it all on a CTI G83 Blue Streak motor. Luckily I had the altimeter set to fire the main at 300 feet since it didn't get as high as I thought it would. Recovered it fine though and it felt good to have accomplished my first dual deployment flight. Quickly turned it around and sent it up again on a bigger motor the same day for a second successful flight. I later got hungry for higher performance flights and built a LOC Forte to replace the Onyx in this configuration. Since these rockets are the same diameter, the electronics and payload section moved as is from the Onyx to the Forte. A nice simple upgrade path. With its 38mm mount versus the Onyx's 29mm mount, I have thus far stuffed in a J and flown it to just under 5000 feet.

Good luck with your flight. It sounds like you have the bases covered, so I suspect it will go well. :)

All ready to go. The only bits that are missing are the ejection charges and the motor.

Ari.

IMG_3071.JPG

Two flights today.

Ari.

[video=youtube;6XBfSIqWTLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBfSIqWTLM[/video]

Awesome!

What is the green/yellow drogue chute? Looks rounded, unlike a typical Top Flight chute.

Awesome flights, Ari! Where did you fly it? Did you use shear pins in the forward section?

Awesome!

What is the green/yellow drogue chute? Looks rounded, unlike a typical Top Flight chute.

Thank you Dan.

Yes. I control the risk of new electronic setup by using motor backup ejection for the apogee event, and s large enough drogue chute that the rocket can survive on the drogue alone. It's a 24".

Awesome flights, Ari! Where did you fly it? Did you use shear pins in the forward section?

No shear pins, only tape on the couplers. We have a secret site in Newark, Calif. I refer to it as Mystery Field.

Ari.

Great job! I'm glad your first steps into dual deployment worked so well. It really builds confidence to tackle the bigger projects down the line. :)

Jim Z

Latest posts

Back