Successful L1 - thanks TRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timro

Reaction score
Last weekend I received my L1 certification out at Snow Ranch with Lunar. Although I didn't post a build thread on the rocket for discussion along the way, it would be very fair to say that my build and overall approach to the flight was very positively impacted by the discussions I found here on TRF.

As a lurker for months, I felt a little obligated to create an account, thank you all for the indirect help, and share a little about the project :blush:

I built a LOC Athena-3 (PK-37) because I really liked the looks of it and it seemed to have a very healthy stability margin. I weighed the parts and did some minor tweaks to a rocksim file that I found and simulated with a few different motors in OpenRocket:
View attachment PK-37 LOC Athena3.ork

Most of the build was per the instructions. I attached 1010 rail buttons using wood screws to the fore and aft CRs. Motor retention is with a Madcow 29mm plate retainer which was very easy to install and use. I used titebond II for wood to cardboard adhesion and epoxy in a few other places like eyebolt nuts and shock cord mount. I did use the nylon elastic shock cord :y: and the "epoxy to the airframe" shock cord loop mount so I will have to keep an eye on that for wear and tear as time goes on. I am using a ~60" nomex shock cord protector on the lower part of the shock cord and a 3x3" nomex sheet to wrap the rest of the recovery system up. Having to do it all over again, I'd probably opt for an eyebolt on the top CR and tubular nylon shock cord. I'll definitely build my next kit that way. I opted to install three plastic rivets to hold the nose cone to the payload bay. They fit tight, but there's no way that nosecone is coming off at deployment or any other time.

Previous rockets I had built had moderately acceptable paint finishes, but I found some tips here that really worked. For the LOC nose cone, I cleaned with soapy water and then roughed up with 80 grit sandpaper. Then I hit it with two coats of rustoleum 2x gray primer and sanded almost all of the fuzz down. Then I primed it all with two more coats of primer and dry sanded to smooth with 320 grit. One last coat of primer and sanding, followed by two moderate coats of color, keeping with rustoleum 2x. Fins were masked with blue tape and painted with testors black enamel.

Decals supplied with kit applied and it was ready to fly. Of course the weather (or rather fog) didn't cooperate in December so I had to wait until January to get it out on the pad:
IMG_1541.jpg

The rest, as they say is history, except I goofed and pressed the power button instead of the record button on the Flip video camera! Luckily my friend (he also got his L1 last Saturday) had a bead on it with his iPhone. It did so well, I had to fly it again on the same motor (at least the Flip recorded that one). For the first flight, I used a 45" chute which brought it down very slowly to avoid any chances for fin damage. The later flight I used the stock 36" which was just fine for the soft ground of a CA cattle ranch in January.
[video=youtube_share;lacBl_NZh_A]https://youtu.be/lacBl_NZh_A[/video]

So thanks again! Methinks the next time I'd better fire up a build thread. Next up in the rocket build pile are a PML 1/4 scale Patriot, Madcow DX3 and Madcow Striker. I'm planning to build the Striker as my first dual deploy kit. Order still to be determined, but no builds are happening until I get moved and have a decent garage workspace for the next one :D

Congratulations on the successful L1! There were a lot of cert flights at Snow Ranch last Saturday. I lost track!

Congrats on the level 1. Welcome to a more expensive level of rocketry.

I`d also like to add my congradulations ,and also would like to say I do indeed like that rocket and the way it`s done up......very clean looking and beautiful...TOP NOTCH work !!

Take care

Paul T

very clean looking and beautiful...TOP NOTCH work !!

Thanks for the compliment! It looks nice on the pad, but in a few spots I've lived up to my Father's RC airplane quality rules for a "5 foot finish". :wink:

Last edited:
First off: congrats and welcome to the club!

Second: Love the whistle the thing makes!!

Congrats on your L1!!

Sure things get a bit more pricey, but as Jim said the fun level really starts to increase too!!!

congrats on the great flights... i too am one who likes whistling rockets...

Well done. There's a world of cool Level 1 motors out there...a bunch of them in the MPR range, too (but considered HPR due to composition or avg thrust).

Congrats! That is a beautiful build! My builds usually have a 20ft finish, but they fly just as well. I am working on a 2" dia downscale of the BSD THOR/LOC Athena design. I hope it has the whistle....

Good job!

I also got my L1 cert on the same day. Mine doesn't whistle though. :( lol

I also got my L1 cert on the same day. Mine doesn't whistle though. :( lol

Congratulations! There were a lot of L1's out there. Definitely pent up demand, and lots of good flights.

I had no idea it would whistle, but not I'm complaining one bit. My guess is it's the split fins. Or maybe my alignment job :blush:

Congratulations! There were a lot of L1's out there. Definitely pent up demand, and lots of good flights.

I had no idea it would whistle, but not I'm complaining one bit. My guess is it's the split fins. Or maybe my alignment job :blush:

Tim,
Hope you're still monitoring this thread... what did you mean by "my alignment job"? I ask since I'm trying to gather information on rockets known to whistle well. Yours sounds great in the video. Where your fins perfectly aligned or was there some offset between top fin and bottom?
Thanks.

Tim,
Hope you're still monitoring this thread... what did you mean by "my alignment job"? I ask since I'm trying to gather information on rockets known to whistle well. Yours sounds great in the video. Where your fins perfectly aligned or was there some offset between top fin and bottom?
Thanks.

Just happened to see this tonight. There was room for improvement in the fin alignment in my view as there was some slight warping of the plywood fins while I was trying to fill in defects with elmers wood filler. I've now switched to Bondo after a first coat of high build primer when needed.

I'll bring the rocket to lunch tomorrow so you can see what I mean. I'll probably leave it out in the car instead of scaring off the customers at the new spot.

Sounds good. Thank you. I intend to be there.
My wife and I watched your Athena and Frenzy videos a few times this evening.
She even compiled a list of links and videos for me to investigate whistling rockets today. I think she's up to something. =]

Last edited:
Sounds good. Thank you. I intend to be there.
My wife and I watched your Athena and Frenzy videos a few times this evening.
She even compiled a list of links and videos for me to investigate whistling rockets today. I think she's up to something. =]

The whistle is due to the split fins. My L2 was the Madcow 4" PAC-3. It has a fantastic whistle all the way up to apogee.

The whistle is due to the split fins. My L2 was the Madcow 4" PAC-3. It has a fantastic whistle all the way up to apogee.

Thanks. I found two of your videos for your PAC-3. It seems that your flight with the CTI I175 didn't whistle, but your flight with a CTI J285 did whistle nicely. Was there any difference other than camera angle and airspeed that may have contributed to this perceived difference?

Last edited:
The higher the velocity, the louder the whistle will be. It was louder for my L2 cert flight. There was a slight whistle during the test flight, but definitely not as noticeable.

Tim,
Thanks for bringing your Athena in on Friday. After looking at how to modify some Estes Scion kits I have to be near clones of the Athena3/Thor, I decided to order an Athena3 from LOCprecision. It turns out that the 8" 29mm motor mount tube that comes with the Estes Scions is not long enough to support the tall spilt fin design. I also ordered a long section of 29mm motor mount tube from LOC.. so that I can build up some split fin test specimens from the Scion kits. The Estes kits have only 0.035" wall thickness tube. I think the LOC Athena3 has 0.050 thick tubes. I'm not sure how I'll build it.. keep it simple for lots of whistling lower cost flights, or go DD. I do have a Jolly Logic Chute Release... and at this time I'm thinking single motor deploy with the JLCR.
Kevin

Back