Viper III Plus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpummil

Reaction score
So, was able to pick up a LOC Viper III for a really sweet deal at Commonwealth's sale early last month...

Once I started looking at it, I realized that 3x 29mm tubes would fit just right, so I did away with the 24mm jobs :grin:
I did pull the MMT tubes out from 8.25" to 9" to try and get back a bit of that waspy tail section look...

Viper-III-01.jpg

I put this in MPR because I "DO" plan on flying it mainly on "G"'s (3 of them...but "G"'s nonetheless...).

3ea G78 Green Mojave's will put it at ~3800' at around Mach 0.86.

The BEST part of this build will be the special touch Mark "Stickershock" Hayes has been working on! Mark, feel free to contribute teasers if you wish...or we can wait for the unveiling.

Last edited:
Haha! Sorry guys...first flight'll be on the G78 Green Mojave SU motors...if all goes well, then we'll see what's next.

Not much progress this weekend as I have been working mostly on my EX stuff..

Last edited:
Oh anyone want to place odds on getting all 3 lit at once?? Oh it can be done. but it aint no easy task!

that is going to be way cool.. do you think one would lift it if the others failed to light??

Oh anyone want to place odds on getting all 3 lit at once?? Oh it can be done. but it aint no easy task!

that is going to be way cool.. do you think one would lift it if the others failed to light??

Oh, ye have LITTLE FAITH great stickershock...

I wouldn't risk trashing all that nice vinyl if I weren't sure :-D

Dipped Q2G2's should do the trick. Nozzles are too small for dipped e-matches.

Dipped Q2G2's should do the trick. Nozzles are too small for dipped e-matches.

I think Mark's just messin' with me...but I HAVE thought about using the 8" Q2G2's and maybe adding a bit of the good stuff to em :wink:
I've also ad good luck with the Little Uns Tim sells...a bit snug in the SU motors, and not low current, but really reliable thus far!

A little edge rounding and then a quick tack of the fins to the motor tubes...

Viper-III-03.jpg

No, the project hasn't died...just been busy with EX as of late.

I did manage to get the fins epoxied into the booster tube cluster, the booster epoxied into the body tube as well as the metal screw stock affixed into the center of the motor tubes for motor retention.

AND.....the "secret sauce" for making this thing sparkle is in transit from Mark "Stickershock" Hayes!!!

So, ready to fly with the exception of the nose vinyl. Poor Mark...even HE can't help the artistically challenged of us. I tried multiple times to get the vinyl wrapped around the NC (cool snake eyes in gold-ish yellow), but was far to inexperienced and unskilled to do so.
Viper-III.jpg
With the "mod" from 24mm tubes to 29mm, we're lookin' at around 3800' and Mach 0.85 with 3ea AT G78 Mojave Green's.
Debating on whether to use the FirstFire Jr's that came with the motors, or use some Little Un's from Crazy Jim. Was thinking about a small piece of augumentation on the head of the igniter, but it's always a tight squeeze into the 29mm SU's anyway.

Debating on whether to use the FirstFire Jr's that came with the motors, or use some Little Un's from Crazy Jim. Was thinking about a small piece of augumentation on the head of the igniter, but it's always a tight squeeze into the 29mm SU's anyway.
I would use the Firstfire Jr's with a strong 12 volt system. Securely attach each igniter to the motor it's installed into. Do not twist the wires around the clips. This will allow slower igniters to stay with the motors and all should be lit by the time the rocket leaves the rod/rail.

So, ready to fly with the exception of the nose vinyl. Poor Mark...even HE can't help the artistically challenged of us. I tried multiple times to get the vinyl wrapped around the NC (cool snake eyes in gold-ish yellow), but was far to inexperienced and unskilled to do so.
View attachment 126397
With the "mod" from 24mm tubes to 29mm, we're lookin' at around 3800' and Mach 0.85 with 3ea AT G78 Mojave Green's.
That's a sweet looking rocket there!
Nice work on the graphics too.

JP

I would use the Firstfire Jr's with a strong 12 volt system. Securely attach each igniter to the motor it's installed into. Do not twist the wires around the clips. This will allow slower igniters to stay with the motors and all should be lit by the time the rocket leaves the rod/rail.

Good plan, RJ! I believe I'll go that route. Here's to three motors lighting simultaneously :cheers:

Back