SCALE - (NASA) PEPP Aeroshell Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I figure this might be a fairly lonely gallery but I'm putting it up anyway.

I built my semi-scale of the first PEPP using Peter Alway's ROTW as a guide.

It actually flew and will fly again.

pepp-f1-k.jpg

pepp-f1-j.jpg

pepp-f1-q.jpg

pepp-f1-r.jpg

COOL! Is that white on the motors tape from friction-fitting, or are they Quest motors? Also, how big are the motor mount tubes? If they're big enough... how awesome would 12 D5's be? :eyepop: :cool:

COOL! Is that white on the motors tape from friction-fitting, or are they Quest motors? Also, how big are the motor mount tubes? If they're big enough... how awesome would 12 D5's be? :eyepop: :cool:

The white you're seeing is from friction fitting. The mounts are 18mm and C6-0s were used for the flight.

This is the first version of the PEPP. I have plans, unfinished, for the second version. That one would have 8 24mm mounts but will be much more difficult to achieve the right look.

Welcome to the SCALE PEPP Aeroshell Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the NASA PEPP Aeroshell and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

MFG: MODEL: NUM

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

NASA's Planetary Entry Parachute Program (PEPP) aeroshell, tested in 1966, was created to test parachutes for the Voyager Mars landing program. To simulate the thin Martian atmosphere, the parachute needed to be used at an altitude more than 160,000 feet above the earth. A balloon launched from Roswell, New Mexico was used to initially lift the aeroshell. The balloon then drifted west to the White Sands Missile Range, where the vehicle was dropped and the engines beneath the vehicle boosted it to the required altitude, where the parachute was deployed.

The Voyager program was later canceled, replaced by the much smaller Viking program several years later. NASA reused the Voyager name for the Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes to the outer planets, which had nothing to do with the Mars Voyager program.

There is one PEPP Aeroshell left, at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.

Last edited:
Back